2006 Countdown to the Championship update (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
Here are the current standings following Reading. We have one more race before we cut down to 4 and reset the points. PSB has already been cut to the final 4.

Top Fuel
1-Schumacher 2314
2-Bernstein 2310
3-Fuller 2246
4-D. Kalitta 2240
5-Grubnic 2231
6-Troxel 2218
7-Lucas 2117
8-Dixon 2111

Funny Car
1-Hight 2358
2-Capps 2220
3-Force 2214
4-T. Pedregon 2212
5-T. Johnson 2191
6-Medlen 2169
7-Bazemore 2159
8-Scelzi 2150

Pro Stock
1-Anderson 2333
2-Line 2278
3-Connoly 2246
4-Edwards-2222
5-K. Johnson 2203
6-A. Johnson 2169
7-Yates 2105
8-Morgan 2094

PSB
1-Brown 3030 (2311)
2-Hines 3020 (2289)
3-Sampey 3010 (2260)
4-Stoffer 3000 (2253)
---------------
5-Smith 2230
6-Ellis 2190
7-Schnitz 2148
8-Bradford 2091

Ya know seeing how this new welfare racing systems shakes out makes me hate it even more...and I didn't think that was possible.

Thanks for keeping the updates

When NHRA makes the cut down to 8 or down to 4 wonder how many teams will talk their sponsors into going IHRA racing since they will no longer have any hope of winning a NHRA championship? How many sponsors will demand the cars they sponsor to continue the NHRA tour just for the TV EXPOSURE they won't receive because they are not in the points chase? Karen Stoffer beat Angelle Sampey and who do they interview??? Angelle of course. NHRA better hope that with Evan Knolls continued IHRA support that the IHRA doesn't start getting better TV coverage!!! Or they may only be 3 or 4 PRO cars at the final races..

Just my thoughts an questions..

When NHRA makes the cut down to 8 or down to 4 wonder how many teams will talk their sponsors into going IHRA racing since they will no longer have any hope of winning a NHRA championship?
How many teams are running over there right now? Only 3 teams have a chance of winning it right now in each class, (2 in Pro Stock)......................

How many teams are running over there right now? Only 3 teams have a chance of winning it right now in each class, (2 in Pro Stock)......................

true however you still have a chance to move around in the top 10, next year you will not. JR Todd entered the top 10 this week, mext year that can't happen. He would have been frozen out after race 17.

Well I guess this will be the last year of a true champion, next year when they pick up their championship in the end, they will be know as the handicap champions. Better cherish this years crown, cause it will mean you really earned it on your own.

Don't take this the wrong way but some of you guys are still wrong on the TV coverage deal. If you win rounds they have no choice but to show you. That's a huge difference in NASCAR vs. NHRA. Michael Waltrip, not in the Chase, running 30th, you see him when he wrecks only. Tony Bartone, not in the Playoff, but goes to the finals, we see Tony B each and every round.

The pressure is going to just shift a little during the season to around the 8th spot and thereby getting 5th thru 10th a lot more exposure than they would have say from June on!

Well I guess this will be the last year of a true champion, next year when they pick up their championship in the end, they will be know as the handicap champions. Better cherish this years crown, cause it will mean you really earned it on your own.

Very well said Richard!
I think it's ironic that this chase was implemented to bring more excitement into the final few races as last year's Pomona was for F/C. This year all four Pro classes could be decided at Pomona with true season-long championship points earned without any welfare system.

And Bullard, it's not like Tony Stewart didn't get press yesterday as he coasted across the finish line out of gas. He's out of the chase but Home Depot saw lots of good press?

true however you still have a chance to move around in the top 10, next year you will not. JR Todd entered the top 10 this week, mext year that can't happen. He would have been frozen out after race 17.

The cut off is 8, not 10. JR would still be in the top 10 if it was 2007

Don't take this the wrong way but some of you guys are still wrong on the TV coverage deal. If you win rounds they have no choice but to show you. That's a huge difference in NASCAR vs. NHRA. Michael Waltrip, not in the Chase, running 30th, you see him when he wrecks only. Tony Bartone, not in the Playoff, but goes to the finals, we see Tony B each and every round.

The pressure is going to just shift a little during the season to around the 8th spot and thereby getting 5th thru 10th a lot more exposure than they would have say from June on!

IS that why ESPN2 interviewed Angelle first even though Karen beat her? If a non points contender takes out a contender you know they will interview the loser first... "HOW DO YOU FEEL AFTER LOSING TO SOMEONE NOT IN THE POINTS CHASE?"

This is still my personal opinion but I DON"T LIKE THIS NEW POINTS SYSTEM!!!WHY punish someone for hard work an winning the first half of the season by taking there lead away??? Fan excitement?? I think not!! When John Force was dominant how many people watched to see if anyone could topple the KING?? Let's just put restrictor plates under the hats while we are copying NASCAR...

Wilkerson won around recently and they didn't interview him instead going to whoever he beat. It happens sometimes now so of course it'll occur even more under the new system

That is how it will always be now in the quest for the cup. If some guy outside the chase does win the entire race then they'll be forced to interview them otherwise all of the focus will be on those in the running for the phony championship

The cut off is 8, not 10. JR would still be in the top 10 if it was 2007

right but after race 17 next year. It's only about the top 8. The way JR is running he could catch hillary and morgan for 8th even but not next year he'd hit the glass ceiling.

When NHRA makes the cut down to 8 or down to 4 wonder how many teams will talk their sponsors into going IHRA racing since they will no longer have any hope of winning a NHRA championship? How many sponsors will demand the cars they sponsor to continue the NHRA tour just for the TV EXPOSURE they won't receive because they are not in the points chase? Karen Stoffer beat Angelle Sampey and who do they interview??? Angelle of course. NHRA better hope that with Evan Knolls continued IHRA support that the IHRA doesn't start getting better TV coverage!!! Or they may only be 3 or 4 PRO cars at the final races..

Just my thoughts an questions..

Again, when a three-time champ and championship contender like Angelle loses it's a story. It's like when the Devil Rays beat the Yankees. The video clips are of Derek Jeter explaining why they lost, not Carl Crawford's thoughts of the win.

Again, when a three-time champ and championship contender like Angelle loses it's a story. It's like when the Devil Rays beat the Yankees. The video clips are of Derek Jeter explaining why they lost, not Carl Crawford's thoughts of the win.

Guess me an you just have a different opinion on things!! I think the story is the "underdog" that wins. I think the little guy or gal should get the exposure they deserve when they win...

I'm not into baseball but once again I think it should be the Devil Rays getting the glory and not the Yankees in your scenairo above.

I'm a huge John Force fan but when an independant like Jim Head takes out Force I want them to interview Jim first. Give him the credit he deserves then go ask John what happened... SHOOT we all know John will come over to Jim and congratulate him an get in on the interview anyway :D :D :D

right but after race 17 next year. It's only about the top 8. The way JR is running he could catch hillary and morgan for 8th even but not next year he'd hit the glass ceiling.

Dude, give it a chance! I don't think I have ever seen someone so negative about something without actually seeing how it will play out. If you would recall back to the Nascar chase announcement, everyone there hated it also. Now, 3 years later, you can count the people who dislike the chase on one hand.

Dude, give it a chance! I don't think I have ever seen someone so negative about something without actually seeing how it will play out. If you would recall back to the Nascar chase announcement, everyone there hated it also. Now, 3 years later, you can count the people who dislike the chase on one hand.

Me negative, I've even tried to hold back:D

Actually no there are still ALOT people who dislike it, they've just given up fighting about it. A big difference is in nascar there is no other option. We have other options in drag racing.

As far as not giving it a try, I was a bordering nascar person before the change, more likely the type of person that they thought they could bring in with their changes. I can't stand it now. I don't need to jump off a cliff to see its a bad idea. Look at how the results would have effected last years champiosnhips. 2 of the 4 titles would have been different. Herbert has 4 good races to end the year and would have finished 2nd under the new system?!?!?! Come on, I like the guy and hope he lifts the trophy one day but 2nd place for 4 good races? Kurt would have won pro stock despite GA having a couple hundred more points. I'm a huge KJ fan but thats just not right.

I can't tell you who has one a nascar championship under their rigged system. But I do know Gordon and lil E didn't make a chase and that was bigger news then who was in. Is that really what we want here? hey some guy won funny car but John Force misses the playoffs. Recently nascar drivers not in the chase have complained that they feel they have to race easy so that they don't interfere with those in the running. So have they become a jog instead of a race? How is that fair competition when drivers don't go all out? Also nascar's office bascially put a gag on the drivers complaints to the media about the chase. The standard safe answer for them was "it will be exciting for the fans". I wonder if nhra has done the same? In the pits you get one answer to how they feel but once media is around they fall back on the "it will be exciting for the fans" line.

Ok I'll stop for now. Maybe I should start a fire compton website

I am really trying my best to stay open minded about this. Like so many others, it's the countdown to 4 with 2 races left that totally stumps me. I just want to ask WHY??!!

I am really trying my best to stay open minded about this. Like so many others, it's the countdown to 4 with 2 races left that totally stumps me. I just want to ask WHY??!!

Because unless, the No. 1 guy wins Las Vegas and the other three guys go out first round, it ensures that the title will be decided at Pomona, which really is the reason for the points system switch.
I'm willing to give it a try. Hey, if a non-division winner can win the World Series in three out of the past four years, what's wrong with this?

Me negative, I've even tried to hold back:D

Actually no there are still ALOT people who dislike it, they've just given up fighting about it. A big difference is in nascar there is no other option. We have other options in drag racing.

As far as not giving it a try, I was a bordering nascar person before the change, more likely the type of person that they thought they could bring in with their changes. I can't stand it now. I don't need to jump off a cliff to see its a bad idea. Look at how the results would have effected last years champiosnhips. 2 of the 4 titles would have been different. Herbert has 4 good races to end the year and would have finished 2nd under the new system?!?!?! Come on, I like the guy and hope he lifts the trophy one day but 2nd place for 4 good races? Kurt would have won pro stock despite GA having a couple hundred more points. I'm a huge KJ fan but thats just not right.

I can't tell you who has one a nascar championship under their rigged system. But I do know Gordon and lil E didn't make a chase and that was bigger news then who was in. Is that really what we want here? hey some guy won funny car but John Force misses the playoffs. Recently nascar drivers not in the chase have complained that they feel they have to race easy so that they don't interfere with those in the running. So have they become a jog instead of a race? How is that fair competition when drivers don't go all out? Also nascar's office bascially put a gag on the drivers complaints to the media about the chase. The standard safe answer for them was "it will be exciting for the fans". I wonder if nhra has done the same? In the pits you get one answer to how they feel but once media is around they fall back on the "it will be exciting for the fans" line.

Ok I'll stop for now. Maybe I should start a fire compton website

PJ, I like your quote, ("IHRA-Where Championships are still decided on the track. In 2007 NHRA will not be able to say that.") at the bottom of your page. Great job!!!

Here are the current standings following Reading. We have one more race before we cut down to 4 and reset the points. PSB has already been cut to the final 4.

Top Fuel
1-Schumacher 2314
2-Bernstein 2310
3-Fuller 2246
4-D. Kalitta 2240
5-Grubnic 2231
6-Troxel 2218
7-Lucas 2117
8-Dixon 2111

Funny Car
1-Hight 2358
2-Capps 2220
3-Force 2214
4-T. Pedregon 2212
5-T. Johnson 2191
6-Medlen 2169
7-Bazemore 2159
8-Scelzi 2150

Pro Stock
1-Anderson 2333
2-Line 2278
3-Connoly 2246
4-Edwards-2222
5-K. Johnson 2203
6-A. Johnson 2169
7-Yates 2105
8-Morgan 2094

PSB
1-Brown 3030 (2311)
2-Hines 3020 (2289)
3-Sampey 3010 (2260)
4-Stoffer 3000 (2253)
---------------
5-Smith 2230
6-Ellis 2190
7-Schnitz 2148
8-Bradford 2091

Chris, thanks for keeping track of this!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back