2006 Countdown to the Championship update (1 Viewer)

Chili

Nitro Member
Here is the up to date standing. Sorry for the late post, I just got back from Las Vegas last night.
Top Fuel
1-Schumacher 3148
2-Bernstein 3087
3-Fuller 3082
4-Kalitta 3074

Funny Car
1-Medlen 3086
2-Force 3077
3-Hight 3068
4-Capps 3032

Pro Stock
1-Line 3128
2-Anderson 3095
3-Connoly 3086
4-Edwards 3031

PSB
1-Hines 3117
2-Sampey 3086
3-Brown 3073
4-Stoffer 3041

Well, the "competitive welfare" system is actually right on one of the four groups, however it miserably punishes three others who currently have a points lead they earned?
I'm not so sure next year will be that interesting other than to second guess what would have been?

Tony Stewart is sure putting egg on the faces of NASCAR by winning race after race while out of contention? I suppose we'll be rooting more for spoilers than winners?

So Dougie is 4th instead of first, and Medlen is 1st instead of 4th?
Yeah, thats awesome! Great Move NHRA.
And I dont remember, doesnt just go down to 2 people at Pomona with a chance or no?
If thats the case, Dougie and Capps or Hight cant even win it. Thats pathetic.

Thanks for posting these Chris..................

Sorry Doc, this is one that we'll agree to disagree on, NASCAR has no egg on their face right now, their '06 Chase is the most exciting ever.
Tony Stewart just looks like the guy that showed up for the game with a little too little, just a little too late. He's also the one with egg on his face after his quote last year when Gordon and JR missed the chase saying that he should be fired if he ever misses a Chase.

I'm still one of the few MATERS that believes the Countdown will be a success next season.:eek: Sure the game will change, but all of the good teams will learn to play the new game very well...............give it a chance guys!

I'm not so sure next year will be that interesting other than to second guess what would have been?

I'm really questioning if I'm going to spend disposable income on the '07 season. I'm not on-board with Compton's race for the cup idea there.

Thanx for the work Chris, way more math in public than I'm up to. It was great meeting you in Vegas.

S/F
D

Here is the up to date standing. Sorry for the late post, I just got back from Las Vegas last night.
Top Fuel

Chris ... thanks for actually SHOWING us what a farce the point system will be next year....I wonder if the winner in each class will have an * after their name.. indicating they needed "Help" from NHRA to get the championship.. your post is PROOF .. look at TF & FC Next year it will be a farce..

I swear, if I was a Pro driver & won a championship next year by virtue if the new point system, KNOWING I would have really been 2nd or 3rd I would refuse the trophy.. (PS I would take the $$)

Chris ... thanks for actually SHOWING us what a farce the point system will be next year....I wonder if the winner in each class will have an * after their name.. indicating they needed "Help" from NHRA to get the championship.. your post is PROOF .. look at TF & FC Next year it will be a farce..

I swear, if I was a Pro driver & won a championship next year by virtue if the new point system, KNOWING I would have really been 2nd or 3rd I would refuse the trophy.. (PS I would take the $$)

I would love to see a driver win the championship next year would would have in a legit points system would have finished 5, 6 or whatever. Then have them refuse the trophy. Or have someone refuse to make the final pass as it would give them a wrogful championship. I realize with sponsorship issues that it probably will not happen. Somebody hire me I'd do it.

Lets just say this, If I won the championship next year and I would have been 3rd or 4th in the "right" way to do it, yes I would feel like I didnt deserve it. However, I played by there rules and if thats the way they want their championship decided, then I guess I am a deserving champion. I dont like it, but I would accept it anyways.

I sent a link of this thread to NHRA.. NOT that I expect any reply...

No they wont care, if they did they would have never made the move. We've have several threads on here discussing in great detail what is wrong with the quest for the cup. Never a response. I've personally sent a couple of emails of concern with the fake points structure, didn't even get a kma response back. Apparently they don't care about my money

It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I can deal with the cutdown to 8 for the final 6 events. In most cases the cream will rise for to the top. However the cutdown to 4 for the final 2 races is just idiotic.

This may have been discussed here before and I just missed it, but I think the new points system hurts the teams that get down a hot track, and helps those that can't. One could do well early in the season, perhaps even building a nice points lead. When the hot weather comes, just make sure you qualify, go a few rounds, and stay in the top 8 until Indy. Then the points are reset and you are right back in the game with the cooler weather starting. To me, having a year long points total determines who is the best over the whole season, in all the conditions. That is lost with the new system. JMHO.

Brett

Thats why there TV ratings were the worst they have been in 5 years at either the last race or the race before?

It's surely not because of the Chase, people find other interest this time of year..........................how do you explain the drop in NHRA TV ratings this time of year?:eek:

It's surely not because of the Chase, people find other interest this time of year..........................how do you explain the drop in NHRA TV ratings this time of year?:eek:

NFL, pro BB, MLB play offs and World series, Sunday night Bowling leauge, lots of other things the casual follower can do... the hardcore fan is still watching. You can jack around the points system, whatever... but it still won't bring the unenlighten to watch... kinda like watching the last 5 minutes of a movie... no clue what's going on or why someone becomes champion in just 2 races out of 23... it's one thing pulling for the home team all season, but like I've said, if I don't have a horse in the race, I don't care... which is why we have hardcore JFR, DSR, CSK, Lucas, KFS, Torco, whoever fans... but it over the whole season... by the way, who won the World series this year, or NASCAR last season, heck who won the Super Bowl last winter? I don't follow their sports, so I really don't care, but I think in a way, that makes my point, doesn't it?

.....................but like I've said, if I don't have a horse in the race, I don't care... which is why we have hardcore JFR, DSR, CSK, Lucas, KFS, Torco, whoever fans... but it over the whole season.........
Well, in that same breath, think of it this way. The 2006 season is a fluke in the points battles, the norm year after year has been that most of the Pro Class Champions have already crowned with three races still left in the season. At least this way most fans will still have a horse in the race up until Vegas, and like it or not, the last 2 races will be extremely exciting, and everyone of us will be glued to it watching it unfold.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back