Zippy runs 4.84! (2 Viewers)

StarLink Now $299

People that have been around a certain class like Neff, Brad Littlefield and certain other second generation racers have intimate knowledge of the race car before they ever get a chance to drive. They have been around them most of their lives. I think that increases their chances to do a lot better than guys jumping from another maybe slower class where they haven't seen the hundreds of laps from 10 feet behind the car over the course of many years They may actually be intimdated initially by it. Those who have been around them have seen every situation and should know the right reaction. They expect things they have already seen to happen rather than learning as they go.

Well said. I remember when Darrell Gwynn first started driving the AA/A and later AA/DA (Pro Comp), and someone said they were impressed at how quick he took to it and asked me "how does he know when to shift?" Gwynn's mom answered "how many times do you think he shifted those gears standing behind that car as a teen".

It is good to see a crew chief turn driver (we have seen many good drivers turn crew chief).

Zip is doing GREAT! It seems that making a thousand runs in your head while standing on the starting line counts for something. And for the record, I spoke to Austin Coil last night and part of the conversation went like this.

Me; "How many cars will you be running next week?"

Coil; "Yes"

Me; Can you be more specific?"

Coil; "Somewhere between 1 and 4"

Me; "Thanks for the update"

Hope this helps,
Alan

ROTFLMAO!!!!

What the rest said: Classic Alan & Coil!!! Thanks for posting that Alan!!!

:D:D:D:D

Zippy made the first run with the Ford engine earlier today, big smiles from all involved. I ask him what it was like to have a license for an hour and now to be a test pilot. He just laughed and said he wouldn't have it any other way. Round two for the Ford coming up soon,

Alan

I thought it was easy to drive a fuel car(or dragster) when it goes straight down the track and nothing to do but keep your foot down and hold own. Zippy is doing great and he will suceed at this because but I think the real challenge will be when the car wants to go left or right, spinning the tires, etc. That's when he will show us he can do this, I just can't see him making a rookie mistake( like staying in it too long, hitting a guard rail or blowing it up).
I have never seen a driver mess up a good straight run. Just my opinion, sorry if you don't agree. :)

Where did you get the idea that all of Neff's runs were straight down the groove? So far from my (Very Good) vantage point, Mike has done it all correctly. He has lifted when he should, steered when he needed to, and held er down when it was stuck in the middle. Every one here has been extremely complimentary about what Mike has done, that includes guys on his team and the other drivers and crewmen as well.

Alan

As I do agree with you, that a good straight run pats the tuner on the back much more than the driver. But even so, there is alot to it.

Many times you see a good straight run, it is because the driver kept up with the car and corrected quickly rather than letting it drift. Keeping it in the groove and staying ahead of the car is more difficult than it looks. And when a driver does a great job, it looks like a great straight un-eventful run. The quicker you go, the harder it is to not get behind the car. And fuel funny-car is about as hard as it gets in that aspect.

Now, about those Ford engines. . .

Where did you get the idea that all of Neff's runs were straight down the groove? So far from my (Very Good) vantage point, Mike has done it all correctly. He has lifted when he should, steered when he needed to, and held er down when it was stuck in the middle. Every one here has been extremely complimentary about what Mike has done, that includes guys on his team and the other drivers and crewmen as well.

Alan

Like I said "I just can't see him making a rookie mistake( like staying in it too long, hitting a guard rail or blowing it up)."

Zippy made the first run with the Ford engine earlier today, big smiles from all involved. I ask him what it was like to have a license for an hour and now to be a test pilot. He just laughed and said he wouldn't have it any other way. Round two for the Ford coming up soon,

Alan
So the storied FORD is for real... THANKS Alan!!!!!

Alan...

Any notes on Robert in the Black Plueger & Gyger car???

Hey K man, I see you like the black look of Hights car! I do too. wouldnt it be great if they let it run like that with some blue and red Auto Club stickers, just whipped on! :eek:;)

Hey K man, I see you like the black look of Hights car! I do too. wouldnt it be great if they let it run like that with some blue and red Auto Club stickers, just whipped on! :eek:;)

mikey...
could be I drive a black 05... and I do like the JFR stangs better than the hairy glass stangs... people say floppers don't look like production cars... heck, it's hard to tell what's what on the street anymore... and I think the stangs and the chargers look closer than some of the stuff from the mid-80's... and they look more like the real thing than what's running south of here in circle go round round world... and heck, I can't tell one flavor P/S from another...

Sounds like we've got a driver here with Mike... Reading Darryl's results on DRO... Congrats on getting your ticket Zippy...

Bro Tony ran a 4.73, Robert closed the day with a 4.75.
Princess ran a 4.81.... sounded like Austin and Phil spent the day pushing/stepping over the line...

And yes, the FORD motor lives....

I would love to know what austin coils oppinion is on this ford engine since he used 426 hemi based engines for years and even worked at a chrysler dealership , its going to be a bit weird seeing coil tune a ford though since im a fan of austin coil and a hemi nut

I would love to know what austin coils oppinion is on this ford engine since he used 426 hemi based engines for years and even worked at a chrysler dealership , its going to be a bit weird seeing coil tune a ford though since im a fan of austin coil and a hemi nut
From the outside, will you be able to tell the difference between the Ford and Chrysler motors?

Not trying to offend anybody.But there is no Chrysler in those Chrysler motors.like there will be no Ford in those Ford motors.They are what they are,after market fuel motors with what ever name you want to put on them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back