You say you want a revolution (1 Viewer)

SAS

Nitro Member
With all the talk of NHRA being Big Brother , banning certain Nitro and certain Sports drinks, perhaps we can strike back. Growing up in the 60's with Nixon and Vietnam, a few lessons were learned, about what works and what does'nt. What if a whole lotta fans showed up with Red Bull shirts or some other competitors shirt. Or Full Throttle shirts with a red line through it. I'm sure a Competitor would love to supply shirts to thousands of fans free of charge. That would make a real statement, seats full of protest shirts. What are they gonna do, not show any crowd shots. It would also work with the Nitro crap they are trying to push. " Power to the people "

TAKEN FROM ANOTHER THREAD

Having spent time in business and also spent time searching for a sponsor I know this. Potential sponsors have focus groups who research among other thing these boards prior to committiing their name to a car/driver/team. Who is going to commit multiple millions of dollars when they see this nonsense on a daily basis. John Force throws a race (not that I think he did) so it must be standard practice, "don't think I'll give any bucks to an NHRA venture". Or we should boycott NHRA..what company do you think wants to be a part of that?

At some point we must quit being our own worst enemy and put only our best face forward. This holds true to all involved including NHRA,the racers, fans and those who post on these message boards. Picking on each other in public forums is just DUMB AND STUPID!

Drag racing is at a crossroad and it's future depends on what we do and SAY. With the cost of fuel and travel we may well see most sportsmen racers stay near home and fewer Pro teams at each race. Couple that with a declining economy and it won't be long before we no longer have a product anyone wants.

I am not a fan of Nascar, but while watching news and sports on TV I notice the cars that only go left have a vast array of competing sponsors. I just don't want to see NHRA chasing away any company that wants to put their logo on a car or signage. Would have been nice to see Brut go against Old Spice.

Dennis,

Did you not hear about the Cingular/AT&T issue in NASCAR? When Winston had the deal, no other cigarette companies were allowed to sponsor a car. And as of now, no other wireless companies can join the circut. Those that are already there can stay. but no new ones can sign up. It's the way of the world.

Alan

Perhaps that is the sad state of things, new blood or new money could only help, and competition between similar companys would make for a bit of interest, sort of like the " Snake and Mongoose " thing. Unless a sponsor does not want to run risk of losing to a competing company.

I guess if you sponsor a series to promote your product, you don't want the possibility of having to crown a competitor's driver at the end of a season? Not exactly the kind of exposure you're paying for?

Jenn,

Yes they can stay as long as they want, but should they decide to step out, they would not be allowed back.

Series sponsorship buys exclusivity in any series. But that's the only exclusive. "Official Sponsors" are different. Pontiac is the "Official Car" but there are still Fords and Dodges welcome to participate. Oakley is an Official, but there is a Wiley X car out there. What the exclusive does for the O is it allows them to sell on site, but no other sunglass company can. That's why Jim J was upset with another team having glasses on their trailer a couple of years ago.

There are different levels of sponsorship, and what you get depends on what you pay for.

Alan

Dennis,

Did you not hear about the Cingular/AT&T issue in NASCAR? When Winston had the deal, no other cigarette companies were allowed to sponsor a car. And as of now, no other wireless companies can join the circut. Those that are already there can stay. but no new ones can sign up. It's the way of the world.

Alan

Alan, I think most of us understand that, and have certainly beat the topic to death, but damn.

Don't you think that by doing that, the NHRA is severely stunting an opportuntiy to grow? I hate, and get tired of all of the NASCAR comparisons because not only is the NHRA not NASCAR, it's not even close. Yeah, the participation level is much higher over here, but not with the professional level teams, which is who draws in the major sponsor deals and is responsible for the television coverage in the first place. Not to mention how much cheaper it is to participate at the top level of our sport as a marketing partner compared to theirs, and that alone should allow some latitude to the NHRA not granting exclusives. Hell, the cost to market as a primary on a championship caliber fuel car might get you an 11" x 14" spot on a Cup car.

Until we consistently see deep fuel fields and no subsequent threat of a short show on Sunday, I just don't think we're in a position to stifle anyone's ability to join the party over here. If and when we get there, then maybe, but until then.......................

Sean D

Jenn,

Yes they can stay as long as they want, but should they decide to step out, they would not be allowed back.

Series sponsorship buys exclusivity in any series. But that's the only exclusive. "Official Sponsors" are different. Pontiac is the "Official Car" but there are still Fords and Dodges welcome to participate. Oakley is an Official, but there is a Wiley X car out there. What the exclusive does for the O is it allows them to sell on site, but no other sunglass company can. That's why Jim J was upset with another team having glasses on their trailer a couple of years ago.

There are different levels of sponsorship, and what you get depends on what you pay for.

Alan

Thanks for the info Alan.

Alan, I think most of us understand that, and have certainly beat the topic to death, but damn.

Don't you think that by doing that, the NHRA is severely stunting an opportuntiy to grow? I hate, and get tired of all of the NASCAR comparisons because not only is the NHRA not NASCAR, it's not even close. Yeah, the participation level is much higher over here, but not with the professional level teams, which is who draws in the major sponsor deals and is responsible for the television coverage in the first place. Not to mention how much cheaper it is to participate at the top level of our sport as a marketing partner compared to theirs, and that alone should allow some latitude to the NHRA not granting exclusives. Hell, the cost to market as a primary on a championship caliber fuel car might get you an 11" x 14" spot on a Cup car.

Until we consistently see deep fuel fields and no subsequent threat of a short show on Sunday, I just don't think we're in a position to stifle anyone's ability to join the party over here. If and when we get there, then maybe, but until then.......................

Sean D

There's a man with his finger on the pulse.

Well put - thanks

I am not a fan of Nascar, but while watching news and sports on TV I notice the cars that only go left have a vast array of competing sponsors.

The cars may have competing sponsors, but when NASCAR signs an official sponsor, no team is allowed to sign a competing sponsor.

Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back