Yet another sponsor leaving (2 Viewers)

It's a bad deal. Max has been a columnist for Drag Illustrated for quite awhile and we've always been impressed with his abilities. The thing about Max and his team is that even though he may not be a champion on the track (yet), he is definitely the WORLD Champion of the pits.

The atmosphere in the Naylor Racing/Jagermeister pits is like nothing else in drag racing. Those guys are really having a good time and want to make sure everyone else is, too.

I know some of the ins and outs of the deal, but my understanding is that it doesn't have much to do with drag racing.

Apparently, Jagermeister wants to make a run at the cowboy demographic and try and compete with Jack Daniels for that market. Personally, I see a lot better fit for Jager in drag racing than I do bull riding or cowboy events. I just don't forsee a group of cowboy hat/boot wearing guys mixing Jager (an imported German liquor) with their Coke. I'm told they're teaming up with a television network to do a reality show that rewards the winning cowboy with a "Jager Ranch" in Colorado somewhere.

Last edited:
That sux... I like cheering for the underdog. Hopefully he can get something together for 2008 and beyond. It surely wasnt for a lack of effort and fan interest.

In other words, if you don't make the countdown.........It's already a fact of business life in NASCAR.
Enough already, you guys pollute every thread with this crap, isn't it about time to get past the Countdown crap?

Max had a great interview about his entire season just this past Sunday on NHRA Raceday, now how in the hell did that happen, after all he didn't make the Countdown. Sponsors have come and gone for decades, sponsors have down sized for decades, and sure enough others will come in to the sport to replace this one.

Now before everything gets all blown out of proportion and the rumor starters get their teeth into this. Heres the deal.
The story posted on NHRA.com is exactly what happened. It had NOTHING to do with the countdown, nothing to do with going to a fuel team, and nothing to do with performance. Jagermeister made an offer Max was not comfortable with going forward pure and simple. Anyone who has been to our pits knows it takes money to put that kind of show on. Max is looking to keep the same type of excitement he has right now going on in his pit. This is about marketing, the fans, racing, entertainment, and fun. We feel we have done everything to the best of our ability to satisfy our sponsor, and we look forward to doing the same next year with another.
We'd like to thank everyone for the support you have show to us and Jagermeister the past 2 years but its now time to move on.

Bill Nychay
Director Marketing / Sponsorship
Naylor Racing Inc

Last edited:
Could you post a list of all of the new, fully sponsored pro-stock teams coming in 2008? Or some links. Thanks.

Just wait and see who shows up in Pomona next Feb. Correct me if I am wrong, but sponsors have always moved in and out of each class each year.

Just wait and see who shows up in Pomona next Feb. Correct me if I am wrong, but sponsors have always moved in and out of each class each year.

this is very true, but I dont' recall a time when so many named players were looking for rides though. Maybe its the countdown, maybe its econmics who knows. At the very least I find it worrisome

Now before everything gets all blown out of proportion and the rumor starters get their teeth into this. Heres the deal.
The story posted on NHRA.com is exactly what happened. It had NOTHING to do with the countdown, nothing to do with going to a fuel team, and nothing to do with performance. Jagermeister made an offer Max was not comfortable with going forward pure and simple. Anyone who has been to our pits knows it takes money to put that kind of show on. Max is looking to keep the same type of excitement he has right now going on in his pit. This is about marketing, the fans, racing, entertainment, and fun. We feel we have done everything to the best of our ability to satisfy our sponsor, and we look forward to doing the same next year with another.
We'd like to thank everyone for the support you have show to us and Jagermeister the past 2 years but its now time to move on.

Bill Nychay
Naylor Racing Inc

Thanks for the facts, Bill.

Good luck.

feeling the pulse of the economy right now I won't be a bit suprized if many other sponsors don't follow suit, Our forecasts at Trane look dismal for 08', an election year is always slow, coupled with a housing market in a slump and weather that was not optimal for air conditioning sales. We have shut down one production line and laid off 200+ indefinatly (they are not going to start that line up at all in 08') I'm off for five weeks between now and Christmas because our inventory is over 100,000 units in the warehouse. It's not looking good for us and many others. The advertising dollars are not there and the racing (especially Drag Racing) community is feeling it, Budwieser pulled the sponsorship of the Busch series, that was big, down to Jager' wanting to cut back on Max's sponsor money. And whats up with the "cowboy thing?" Cowboys drink beer not Jager' A little short mean assed bullrider with a couple of shots of Jager' under his belt along with a few coors lights is a combination that will surley spell disaster, not good for advertising.

Help....we're All 'gonna Die.....

feeling the pulse of the economy right now I won't be a bit suprized if many other sponsors don't follow suit, Our forecasts at Trane look dismal for 08', an election year is always slow, coupled with a housing market in a slump and weather that was not optimal for air conditioning sales. We have shut down one production line and laid off 200+ indefinatly (they are not going to start that line up at all in 08') I'm off for five weeks between now and Christmas because our inventory is over 100,000 units in the warehouse. It's not looking good for us and many others. The advertising dollars are not there and the racing (especially Drag Racing) community is feeling it, Budwieser pulled the sponsorship of the Busch series, that was big, down to Jager' wanting to cut back on Max's sponsor money. And whats up with the "cowboy thing?" Cowboys drink beer not Jager' A little short mean assed bullrider with a couple of shots of Jager' under his belt along with a few coors lights is a combination that will surley spell disaster, not good for advertising.

There are sectors of the economy that are not GREAT right now (and for a while into the future, perhaps). That said, there are ALWAYS marketing opportunities.
I commend Max for coming out of nowhere, landing a non-traditional sponson and doing a GREAT job exposing that sponsor to a new market. I have no idea how his involvement can be tied to increases in sales but, I'll bet there was a direct, positive, and MEASURABLE relationship. If there wasn't, I doubt if Stanley Frank would have offered ANY kind of deal for the 2008 season.
Judging by the buzz he created for Jager, I'm sure (with 2 years real experience under his belt) he'll be able to deliver even MORE excitement for a new sponsor.

Think beyond the box (or is it the bun?).

Jager Goes Cheap

Looks like another sponsor is backin off with $$$. Max Naylor said no to Jagermeister's recent decreased offer for the 2008 Pro Stock season. Hope Max finds another sponsor for next year. Could Hoosier step up?

Bill Nychay
Naylor Racing Inc

Good luck on the sponsorship hunt Bill. Max & the crew have left a positive impression in the Pro Stock ranks in my book!

Thanks for the kind words. We have numerous irons in the fire. Max and the crew did one hell of a job these past two years. Its an unfortunate part of this business, sponsors come and go, but when you have built a successful program such as Max's its takes money to fund this. He will not for a second "scrimp" or make exceptions for the way his operation is run, nor should he. Any sponsor would be happy to partner with him. Ive been doing this for alot of years, worked with alot of teams, have done alot of deals(Motley Crue, Black Label Society, Santana, Disturbed, George Thorogood, Meat Loaf, Cognigen, and now Jagermeister) and he is by far the most honest, hard working and dedicated to perfection racer you will ever find.
Remember the old saying "You cant keep a good man down" Im sure we will return bigger and better than before.

Bill Nychay
Naylor Racing Inc

I don't follow P/S as much as it deserves, but I must say Max did a tremendous job in getting the sponsor's image out there!

I don't drink alcohol, but the Jager image has been imprinted in my brain from the exposure at the tracks alone. If it's out of sight, it's out of mind and that is definitely not the case here! I'm positive many NHRA fans remembered this when they went to the grocery store to pick up some spirits.

Also, I don't think I see anyone more enthused than Max's wife when they drive the golf cart up the return roads.
She pumps up the crowd pretty good.

I enjoyed seeing them on the American Dragster TV show too.

Best wishes to MNR.

Bill Nychay
Naylor Racing Inc

So Bill it sounds like they are going Nascar, like everything else...:confused:

The one thing that nobody has addressed is that Max did something that a lot and I mean a lot of racers can not or won't do is hold his ground on a sponsorship. So many racers want to go racing so bad that they undersell their costs just to get get some kind of sponsorship and that is always a losing proposition. Max made a smart business decision and I for one respect that decision and him.

Coorporations marketing departments I am sure have taken notice of what he has done for Jaeger. Contrary to what some people believe actually winning races has very little to do with sponsorships. It is ROI [return on Investment]. In this case it is increased awareness of the product and brand.

jim

Contrary to what some people believe actually winning races has very little to do with sponsorships. It is ROI [return on Investment]. In this case it is increased awareness of the product and brand.

Absolutely correct, Jim. I used to work with a major NASCAR sponsor who did not fund winning drivers. Instead, the company sponsored the drivers who would best help it achieve its goals, not win races. The drivers we had did not win, but he was great on TV, great with the fans and great with the company's customers in the hospitality tent and at events.

Jim

No they are not going to NASCAR. Jim you hit the nail on the head. Its not that Max wasnt capable of winning, we were a new team! Now that everything is working so well, Im sure you will see more great things from him. Max is a solid businessman, and what many people dont know, he is veryyyy savy. He doesnt get involved with things he cant win. He gets racing, he gets the business side of racing which is very important. It was a hard decision on both sides, but Max did what he felt was right for the team MOVING FORWARD. There was really nothing either side did that was wrong.
The deal just wasnt right for us at this point, thats all. 2008 will be here before you know it, lets see what we can come up with:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back