Yates/Gray (1 Viewer)

Jer

Nitro Member
Looks like Yates and Gray are done,Hopefully Yates will at least get back out there and tune,would be nice to see him in a car again!

dont know if its a coincidence or not but once gray and 'super engine builder' joe hornik went their separate ways, that car has been mired in the bottom half of the field

Yea that was mentioned,and since then been bottom half of feild most of time. Like to Shane do well,he can def drive.

Compared to the competition Gray's car is down on power and I am sure the team is frustrated. I don't think Jim was the problem. I wish Jim nothing but the best and hopefully we see him again at the track.

Compared to the competition Gray's car is down on power and I am sure the team is frustrated. I don't think Jim was the problem. I wish Jim nothing but the best and hopefully we see him again at the track.

Hey Paul, thanks for the kind words. Jon, Jamie, Toni and I are in Atlanta helping Mark Martino run Pro Stock. Jamie has been helping Mark since Charlotte. Jon and I are still looking for another opportunity. We will be helping Jamie in Topeka. I am hoping to have something figured out for Jon and I by the time we leave Topeka. There are some great opportunities out there, it is just a matter of finding the right fit.

If you don't have the power to compete the best tuner/teacher in the world won't make a Pro Stock car competitive. Money can't buy everything....

Jim is a great tuner and advisor. He won't be on the sidelines for long. Letting him go will not make the Gray car more competitive, it will be just the opposite.

I'd like to see Jim work with V Gaines. There is plenty of power to be competitive there. Jim...for all us Mopar fans, give V a call for us! ;)

Shane ened up 5th in points last year! Why disrupt success.

Good luck, Jim.

Actually,,,,, Shane ended up #4 in the Pro Stock points at the end of the year and won the World Finals at Pomona.
Alot of our success was due to Shane doing a great job of driving the car and getting off the starting line ahead of the other driver.
We had good "middle of the pack horsepower" and did a good enough job with the car to get Shane within 1 hundreth or 2 of the competition....and then let him win it for us.

Actually,,,,, Shane ended up #4 in the Pro Stock points at the end of the year and won the World Finals at Pomona.
Alot of our success was due to Shane doing a great job of driving the car and getting off the starting line ahead of the other driver.
We had good "middle of the pack horsepower" and did a good enough job with the car to get Shane within 1 hundreth or 2 of the competition....and then let him win it for us.
I stand corrected.

There sure are a couple teams out there that could use the Yates family magic!

Best of luck, Jim.

I would like to see him team up with Malmgren and put him in the 6.50's in Europe.

Is there anyone over there making that kind of power? If they could run 6.50's consistently ... they should be racing here!!! There was only 1 run in the 50's in eliminations yesterday ...

Is there anyone over there making that kind of power? If they could run 6.50's consistently ... they should be racing here!!! There was only 1 run in the 50's in eliminations yesterday ...
The European Pro Stock car records are 6.646 and 207.07 mph. Both numbers held by six time Champion Jimmy Ålund from Sweden. He has 6 consecutive European championships in the class, 2004 to 2009.

In 2010, Jimmy took the team and car to the US for four NHRA races. They worked their collective asses of but did not qualify but ran a PB of 6.63 during Q2 at Englishtown which is the fastest ET ever run by a European Pro Stock car team.

Malmgren has 3 Euro championships, 2001, 2001 and 2010. Not sure what Malmgrens PB is, I think it was his 6.736 in the quarter finals at the European Finals last fall.

In all, only two Euro Pro Stockers have run in the 6.6s in European Championship racing, Jimmy and Rickard "Nixon" Sundblom of Finland.

I really like Pro Stock car, both here and in the US. The above says something about the outstanding quality of what you have in NHRA.

Our season starts in less than two weeks: The Main Event at Santa Pod Raceway in the UK.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Last edited:
I just want to see one 6.50 in Europe and it would be nice to see Malmgren do it because he's raced for so long.

It would be nice to see The Yates family for a weekend at Santa Pod along with Bob Ingles. They stand the best chance because if it doesn't rain, the air will be close to sea level conditions and with a good track prep, it could be possible.

I'm also a realist meaning he needs at least 50 more horsepower and Alund will be tough to beat.

Hm... I'd better be careful here, I work at both Santa Pod and Tierp Arena : ) but me thinks that the new Tierp track up here in Sweden is a solid candidate for a few Euro record breaking numbers coming the beginning of June, including Pro Stock car. I'm fairly certain that the altitude at Tierp is lower than at Santa Pod Raceway and the brand spanking new concrete track is of a very high standard.

Obviously the issue is track prep, there's only been one race there so far, but I'm convinced they will get it right. The guy heading up the Tierp track crew used to do the same at Santa Pod and at the first Tierp race/test'n tune session two weeks ago there were a myriad of PBs including ET and speeds that eclipsed current Euro records. Jimmy Ålund was part of that crowd, he ran four runs that weekend and two of those were faster than his own speed record.

I hope I'm wrong but I would not bet on a 6.5 over here this season. Though my bet is on Jimmy for a seventh European Pro Stock car championship.

A cool tube from the opening of Tierp Arena two weeks ago - Running a casual 6.0 on two wheels, sitting up and shutting it off at the 1000 foot mark YouTube -Peter Svensson Top Fuel Bike at TierpArena He passed the 660" timers doing 197.5 mph which is another new PB and a Euro best number for a Top Fuel Bike.

Apologies for having derailed the thread.

Regards
PiPPi
http://HarleyDrags.com

Par,

Just purchased Drag Racing USA magazine and it had a 4 or 5 page article about Micke Malmgren. Lots of color photos and a lot of praise for Bob Ingles and Jim Yates

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back