Worst off season ever !! (1 Viewer)

Sponsors have to see a return on their investment. They are not getting it with tv coverage on ESPN. I would like to see the deal NHRA has with ESPN. The only way sponsors are going to continue investing money in this sport is 30+ races a year and PRIME TIME TV. It takes an average of four hours to show SPRINT CUP race and with the technology today they should be able to show a NHRA race in 5 hours with a 75 minute turn around. I know that's a rough figure but i am sure they could work out the bugs in it.
NHRA better start listening, they need bigger purses and more TV. I am sure SPEEDTV would love to have NHRA. They need TV thats dedicated to auto racing not billiards and poker. I have been around racing for over 30 yrs and purses at local tracks have been much better than local circle tracks but it seemed to stop there other some special races. I don't know how many remember labor day race at BYRON DRAGWAY mid 70's $10,000 to win.
WAKE UP NHRA!

Hi Lori

Well people need to buy more air conditioners and heat pumps because we (Trane) have almost 100,000 of them in stock, I was off six weeks last year and they are talking about more time out of the schedule next month, which means no Houston for me, I already couldn't afford to renew my NHRA membership, thats 70 bucks that can go in the gas tank. Maybe when the weather heats up things will change but as of now I don't see me spending any money on my favorite thing which is Drag Racing, the six weeks of unemployment at Christmas kinda made things a little tight, but hey it could be worse. I will still tune in to watch on Saturdays and Sundays.

It seems that some folks will never concede the vital point on this subject. And that is -- drag racing will never appeal to a huge audience. When you bring 10 people to the races only 2 or 3 will ''get it''. Thats been said many times. And maybe only 1 or 2 will ''get it '' when they watch it on TV. The excitement of our great sport i.e. the sounds and sights of the drag strip just don't come across on the tv screen. Thats a reality. No amount of 'expanded' tv coverage will change that. And in my oppinion we are luckier for it. Who among us wants NHRA to turn into NASCAR??? What we have to concentrate on going into the future is how to keep the status Quo. How do we maintain what we have now? As fans we are extremely loyal. How does NHRA capitalize on the fan base that we have ? I remember seeing a stat that said the average income of a member of Nhra was somewhere around $75,000. That far higher than nascar. And finally people with bucks are always going to want to race.When the gates open people like kalitta etc. will be there. Maybe they will have one car instead of 4. But so what.

It seems that some folks will never concede the vital point on this subject. And that is -- drag racing will never appeal to a huge audience. When you bring 10 people to the races only 2 or 3 will ''get it''. Thats been said many times. And maybe only 1 or 2 will ''get it '' when they watch it on TV. The excitement of our great sport i.e. the sounds and sights of the drag strip just don't come across on the tv screen. Thats a reality. No amount of 'expanded' tv coverage will change that. And in my oppinion we are luckier for it. Who among us wants NHRA to turn into NASCAR??? What we have to concentrate on going into the future is how to keep the status Quo. How do we maintain what we have now? As fans we are extremely loyal. How does NHRA capitalize on the fan base that we have ? I remember seeing a stat that said the average income of a member of Nhra was somewhere around $75,000. That far higher than nascar. And finally people with bucks are always going to want to race.When the gates open people like kalitta etc. will be there. Maybe they will have one car instead of 4. But so what.

Barry, its ok to be satisfied with where you at, that is what this country is all about "Freedom of Choice". But tell Don, Warren, etc. to be satisfied with status quo, it will never happen. This is a competitive sport and that takes money and your not going to have the money without investment. If we don't continue to progress this industry you won't have a track to watch drag racing. And that would sad!

And to the new fan taking a look at NHRA, if they think PINKS is what drag racing really is, then we are in big trouble!

actually, i think 'pinks' does a nice job of stripped down, mano a mano,
lets get it on, one car wins, one car loses drag racing.
unfortunately i think they also build drama and that alone i think
is what gets the ratings. racing is just the vehicle FOR drama;
racing that plays to the obvious young male audience.
i'll guarantee you that's what the 'countdown' is intended to do
(drama = ratings)

is what gets the ratings. racing is just the vehicle FOR drama;
racing that plays to the obvious young male audience.
i'll guarantee you that's what the 'countdown' is intended to do
(drama = ratings)

PINKS- ALL OUT

This is matched heads up racing with a good purse. Racing to take a man or womans race car is not that appealing. Drag Racing is predominately a mans sport but i know a lot of women that love the sport, some are racers. Drama is part of racing but competition is what it's about. As far as young audience your right, but you will find as many racers in their 50's 60's and even 70's that still love and compete in this sport. There was plenty of drama before the countdown but I think it's good for the smaller teams who deserve a chance. Bottom line the team who wins the most rounds will finish on top.

DRAG RACING - IT'S ALL OUT

is what gets the ratings.
Wouldn't Pinks be awesome with throttle stops and electronics?

Seems fitting that the worst off-season in recent history should follow the worst season in recent history. I am glad 2007 is behind us, despite the currently-declining economy, which is sure to have a negative effect on all racing series.

Had the internet and messageboards been around since the 70's, I'm sure there are several issues that would have dominated the discussion of the days back then! Imagine had this whole Evan Knoll deal happened 20 years ago? We'd probably wait 3-4 weeks to read about it in ND or other racing mags. And we'd only see what they wanted us to read.

Good point Joe. I remember about ten years ago we had a similar situation. Several teams lost sponsors at once and NHRA was between TV contracts. There was talk about televising the races on the USA network! Then the economy got better, NHRA got on ESPN and all was well with the world again. This was way before the Knoll years chapter of NHRA Drag racing. The bottom line is the sport will continue on with or without Mr Knoll's financial assistance.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath as NHRA's future is in different hands and that could be better or worse. Remember when that VAN LINES company bought AHRA? They are no longer around. But who knows maybe our friends at HD can better market the sport and also better compensate the teams via a better purse. They do need to make some adjustments and can't sit idle as this could be a rocky year for everyone. But the sport survived 911 so we'll wait and see.

I have NHRA races on tape from the USA Network, so it did happen at least once or twice. I also have some from my local Channel 9 which was KMSP here, which later turned into FOX.

Gas goes to $4 bucks a gallon it's gonna be hard to afford to get the fun o meter past 1/2 way but i'm sure me and Brian O will give it a shot.

And how does anyone know that gas IS going to $4? Why get the knickers in a twist about what some say MIGHT happen? Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't, IMO. Even if it does, we'll still wake up tomorrow morning and get on with our lives. Like always.

So why get upset or worry about something that hasn't even happened?

I just don't understand all the hand wringing.

I always liked the Abe Lincoln quote, and I paraphrase - "Most people are about as happy as they make up there minds to be..."

And how does anyone know that gas IS going to $4? Why get the knickers in a twist about what some say MIGHT happen? Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't, IMO. Even if it does, we'll still wake up tomorrow morning and get on with our lives. Like always.

So why get upset or worry about something that hasn't even happened?

I just don't understand all the hand wringing.

I always liked the Abe Lincoln quote, and I paraphrase - "Most people are about as happy as they make up there minds to be..."

Gas is closing in on $8 a gallon in parts of Europe... The amount of phonebooths on wheels over there with 2 cylnder engines is staggering- almost as high as the amount of bicycles..

4 bucks is coming, and we should be happy that it's only gonna be that high.

Tough times? I'll say! These internet magazines are all scrambling to announce all these new sponsorships being landed day in and day out. Whew! Can we take much more?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back