Worst off season ever !! (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
Could this off season get any worse, what next, PowerAde leaving, bruton smith converting all his drag strips to golf courses ??? when is it gonna end !! There was already a mass exodus of sponsors even before torco closed shop. Over the years the sponsors leaving the sport at the end of the year and the new sponsors entering are generally about equal, but this year I expect to see a lot of first round bye’s and several ‘refrigerator white’ painted cars. I guess the one bright spot is the nhra reconfiguring the countdown …. of course judging by the potential weak fields, if u wanna make the top 10 cut off, all ya gotta do is just show up for every race :)

Its called NASCAR! Most of the teams out here are not getting any money to speak of to run. Most of the cars out here are self sponsored and if they are getting some corporate money it is no where near enough.They paint the cars up like they have a 4 million dollar deal but trust me other than Force,Bernstein and maybe Shoe the others are running it out of their own pocket! NHRA is so money hungry they wont put any purse money in and now the measley 10,000 dollars you get to qualify wont hardly pay your hotel,fuel and food bills. Let alone the tires and Nitro and on and on! Most of the sponsors have to be in NASCAR! They get more coverage running in 15th place than the winner of INDY gets. Now you tell me if you had a certain budget number and you needed more bang for you buck what would you do? Little E rear quarter panel and patch on driving suit or lets say Rod Fuller full deal. You could have either one for 2 million$. Which would you take? Go to any store in the USA and ask who Hot Rod Fuller is and then ask who Dale JR is? I bet you will hear Lil E 100 to 1. It all comes down to selling your product and NHRA does none of that. They are satisfied with the way it is and if you dont stay hungry then you wont grow.Hell PINKS gets better ratings than NHRA or IHRA events on TV. That is pathetic. That is the reason there is no new sponsors and new teams. I said that if Evan and Forrest ever get tired or mad NHRA is screwed. Well one is gone and you can feel the pain! Well thats my 2 cents worth take it easy M

Its called NASCAR! Most of the teams out here are not getting any money to speak of to run. Most of the cars out here are self sponsored and if they are getting some corporate money it is no where near enough.They paint the cars up like they have a 4 million dollar deal but trust me other than Force,Bernstein and maybe Shoe the others are running it out of their own pocket! NHRA is so money hungry they wont put any purse money in and now the measley 10,000 dollars you get to qualify wont hardly pay your hotel,fuel and food bills. Let alone the tires and Nitro and on and on! Most of the sponsors have to be in NASCAR! They get more coverage running in 15th place than the winner of INDY gets. Now you tell me if you had a certain budget number and you needed more bang for you buck what would you do? Little E rear quarter panel and patch on driving suit or lets say Rod Fuller full deal. You could have either one for 2 million$. Which would you take? Go to any store in the USA and ask who Hot Rod Fuller is and then ask who Dale JR is? I bet you will hear Lil E 100 to 1. It all comes down to selling your product and NHRA does none of that. They are satisfied with the way it is and if you dont stay hungry then you wont grow.Hell PINKS gets better ratings than NHRA or IHRA events on TV. That is pathetic. That is the reason there is no new sponsors and new teams. I said that if Evan and Forrest ever get tired or mad NHRA is screwed. Well one is gone and you can feel the pain! Well thats my 2 cents worth take it easy M

So far, that is THE post of 2008. That hits the nail right on the head.

Welcome to the Mater Mark. I wish it was under better circumstances though, so far this new season SUCKS, and it hasn't even started yet. How are you guys doing?

So far, that is THE post of 2008. That hits the nail right on the head.

Welcome to the Mater Mark. I wish it was under better circumstances though, so far this new season SUCKS, and it hasn't even started yet. How are you guys doing?

Why is that the post of 2008?? It's nothing that hasn't been whined about here a million times already....

Doom and gloom make it all seem much worse off than it is... If you race Pros, there is NEVER a doubt in your mind that you needed to come with your "A" Game and your life savings to be successful- ask anybody out there that is or has done it.

Nobody holds a gun to their head and makes them do this. All of us here feeling sad because a team can't be creative enough to make an attractive enough package for a potential sponsor because the ROI is based in SECONDS and not HOURS of prime time coverage is just too much boo-hooing... Jeez... The sky IS NOT falling (yet)-Worry when it happens already, will ya??

i hate to say it, but i feel 08 is going to see a economic depression that will cause many people to pull back on anything extra they do besides living. wether you race or just a spectater there will be a chokehold put on the word fun. to me, that means auto racing (all kinds) will take a major blow. I hate to sound like the grimm reaper, but i am in buisness for myself, and haven't seen things this tight ever. I hope i am wrong, but how will the normal working man be able to afford to go anywhere when gas is $4 a gallon this summer.:(

You may be right Mark, but as long as you the Racers keep showing up to race under those conditions, NOTHING will change!:confused:

I hope that if nothing else the events of this week will be a wake up call to NHRA. On the other hand, our sport is what it is and may never have the acceptance you are looking for. I think the sports biggest challange are the costs .The fuel teams costs more than its worth to most CEOs. Maybe just maybe we should be greatful on how big the sport did get for a time. its going to be a rough ride for a while. But then again Ashley got a new deal, and Dunn got a new deal so things might get better than we think.

Last edited:
i hate to say it, but i feel 08 is going to see a economic depression that will cause many people to pull back on anything extra they do besides living. wether you race or just a spectater there will be a chokehold put on the word fun. to me, that means auto racing (all kinds) will take a major blow. I hate to sound like the grimm reaper, but i am in buisness for myself, and haven't seen things this tight ever. I hope i am wrong, but how will the normal working man be able to afford to go anywhere when gas is $4 a gallon this summer.:(
You're exactly right Bruce, we are about to experience a recession in this country that will effect everyone, it sucks, but we've laid off 25% of our people this week at my office.........unemployment rate is peaking in the country, things will be tight for everyone.

Yeah, it's coming. At my place of employment, we're facing a layoff. I should be okay as I'm 2nd in senority, but what that means for me is that work on my racecar stops (temporarily) and going to national events are out of the question....:( I have to feed my family first and foremost, then if I can afford to play, that's fine. I feel for the racers, but times are getting really tough....

Jes guys whats going on I dont come on for a little while and something strange seems to be happening what did I miss?

Maybe NHRA should lift their rule about how many teams 1 owner can have.. Then if JFR can stretch the budget and field 2 or 3 more we could ensure having full fields at the events... :):):)

You're exactly right Bruce, we are about to experience a recession in this country that will effect everyone, it sucks, but we've laid off 25% of our people this week at my office.........unemployment rate is peaking in the country, things will be tight for everyone.

Unemployment is 5%, I can remember when that figure was considered unrealistic.

Originally Posted by Mark Carrier:
"Hell PINKS gets better ratings than NHRA or IHRA events on TV. That is pathetic."

And why wouldn't PINKS get better ratings than any NHRA, IHRA telecasts??!! For craps sake they run 2-6 episodes a night, 7 days aweek. Shake yourselves. None of the current NHRA telecasts gets a repeat date...maybe a few years later on ESPNC. That point is anything but valid. Just my .02

Late.............Mitch

Yeah, our sport is facing a troubled year - no doubt about it. But I'm still going to tune in to ESPN2 every race weekend to see each and every race... because I still love the racing and I still love the people who do it. Is it perfect? No. But it never has been. To me the biggest problem is the ongoing chassis issues - I'm not ready to lose another hero! The money, or lack thereof, is insignificant when compared to human life.

And due to tighter finances, maybe I'll make a race or two and maybe I won't, time will tell. I consider myself lucky during times like this, I may not get paid a lot being in the military, but I ain't gettin' laid off either...

Is it the beginning of the end? No, I don't think so. Will we look back and say, "remember when?" Absolutely. Buy this too, shall pass.

I'm not saying this to agree or disagree with any of the aforementioned viewpoints but I'll say this:
* We've had far worse economic times collectively and there was still drag racing.
* We've had far worse safety conditions and despite terrible losses, drag racing went on.
* We've had to field national events before Torco existed and the racers showed up.
* We've had far less publicity (TV/Audio cast/Radio, etc.) and sponsors still stepped up to the plate.
* We've had a jump in gas prices before which eclipsed our current jump in percentage increase and racing continued-even despite severe shortages and long lines to just purchase it.
* We're going to see both better and worse times ahead, personally and collectively, and I'll still bet this Friday night there will be cars at the gate waiting for them to open-all in search of a cheap trophy and the Pomona parking lot next month will still be so full you have to walk 3/4 of a mile to get to the stands from the sheer numbers coming to watch.
Drag racing is here to stay. The overall health of the sport and it's potential growth and security, as Mark Carrier so aptly explained, is largely the responsibility of the sanctioning body and their ability to market our sport and it appears quite clear that they are far more concerned with their own pockets then the health of the sport and the competitors who make up the show.

Last edited:
Unemployment is 5%, I can remember when that figure was considered unrealistic.

Yep, 5% is pretty much considered full employment. Ran about 5.4 - 5.7 during the last admin, and not a peep. Past few years, under current admin, the rate has been around 4.7 or so. And this after the terrorist attacks, Katrina etc. Saw earlier today the market is up over 70% since 2000.

Things are not as bad overall as being portrayed in the media. Are there some pockets in the economy that are iffy? Sure, there always has been. But 97% of folks are making their morgage payments on time and in no danger of losing their homes. Even at $4 per gal. gas is less expensive at todays prices than it was in the 70's - 80's.

This is an election year; doom and gloom all the time from those who aren't in elected positions. Or from those who want to affect the outcome of the elections.

Does drag racing have some very tough issues right now? Sure, but the sport has always had issues. Drag racing as a sport isn't going away, unless the tree huggers have their way. Look what's happening up in Canada regarding allowable fuels.

I guess I'm just trying to say "lighten up, people!" Be happy! Things could be MUCH worse. Both for the country, and for drag racing...

Fire 'em up! :D

Yep, 5% is pretty much considered full employment. Ran about 5.4 - 5.7 during the last admin, and not a peep. Past few years, under current admin, the rate has been around 4.7 or so. And this after the terrorist attacks, Katrina etc. Saw earlier today the market is up over 70% since 2000.

Things are not as bad overall as being portrayed in the media. Are there some pockets in the economy that are iffy? Sure, there always has been. But 97% of folks are making their morgage payments on time and in no danger of losing their homes. Even at $4 per gal. gas is less expensive at todays prices than it was in the 70's - 80's.

This is an election year; doom and gloom all the time from those who aren't in elected positions. Or from those who want to affect the outcome of the elections.

Does drag racing have some very tough issues right now? Sure, but the sport has always had issues. Drag racing as a sport isn't going away, unless the tree huggers have their way. Look what's happening up in Canada regarding allowable fuels.

I guess I'm just trying to say "lighten up, people!" Be happy! Things could be MUCH worse. Both for the country, and for drag racing...

Fire 'em up! :D

Now THATS a hell of a good post!! Doom & Gloom be damned!! Most people only believe what the media wants them to believe... and lord knows they're master manipulators. Seriously..great post!!

T :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back