world records (1 Viewer)

superman

Nitro Member
so will there be new world records thus making bonus points starting over or how does that play out and is it just the fuel cars or pro stock as well?

Probably like Barry Bonds' record. There will be an asterisk behind everything from the past and in the future in our sport.

well i kind of actually do due to the fact that if they do switch the rest of the races to 1000 ft it could really play a factor after indy

Why close the record book?? If 1K' is now the standard, then let he/she that does it quickest be given the recognition they earned. Let their sponsors get the press that goes with a Natl. record.

We have 1/8th Mi. and 1/4Mi. records now with no problem. Besides we have new chassis and new tires, it's not like they will set new records at all 12 races. How many new records were set at the first 12 races??

If 1K' stays the standard for 2009, then why delay the record setting???

If they go back to 1320' for next season, no harm done, the present records would be back in play.

Let new records be set and points awarded. jmo

In fairness to all the teams, plus in respect to SK, I am sure no points will be accumulated for a 'new' record this year. Really there should be no reward for the first Top Fuel car down the track to set a 'new' record or the next car to better the ET. Actually the quickest car at the end of the Bandimere race.

Next season should a 1000' track still be the deal, then points should be rewarded. It is one thing to have a team set a record and let the sponsor leverage the record for their marketing. Its a totally different deal to award a record and give out points. Thats just my opinion.

Why close the record book?? If 1K' is now the standard, then let he/she that does it quickest be given the recognition they earned. Let their sponsors get the press that goes with a Natl. record.

We have 1/8th Mi. and 1/4Mi. records now with no problem. Besides we have new chassis and new tires, it's not like they will set new records at all 12 races. How many new records were set at the first 12 races??

If 1K' stays the standard for 2009, then why delay the record setting???

If they go back to 1320' for next season, no harm done, the present records would be back in play.

Let new records be set and points awarded. jmo

Last edited:
In fairness to all the teams, plus in respect to SK, I am sure no points will be accumulated for a 'new' record this year. Really there should be no reward for the first Top Fuel car down the track to set a 'new' record or the next car to better the ET. Actually the quickest car at the end of the Bandimere race.

Next season should a 1000' track still be the deal, then points should be rewarded. It is one thing to have a team set a record and let the sponsor leverage the record for their marketing. Its a totally different deal to award a record and give out points. Thats just my opinion.

The first car would not set the record. The quickest of the event and only if they get the 1% back-up just like now. A record can only be set once at an event.
Be it temporary, or permanent, 1,000Ft is now a nhra nitro drag race. Last race if someone went quicker than anyone else, (and backed it up) they got points, why not next race???

I don't believe that 1000ft will be standard from here on out.... i have to believe the NHRA wants to stick with the 1320ft setting....

i believe once a viable solution to the speeds and safety problems are addressed.. 1320 will return.,,IMO...

while i know many are against trying to lower the HP/Speeds of the cars.. mostly the fans.... the Insurance companys will be a major role in the final say of what route is taken.

Insurance companys are the reason for the lower speeds/restrictor plates on Cup cars at their two biggest tracks...not just the ones that cover the fans in the stands..but the ones with policys on drivers as well..... After Bobby Allison went into the fence a Dega years ago... NASCAR was forced to slow the cars or the insurance cost of the event was to grow by 5 times at those facilities.. and drivers policys were to triple period...

Also under pressure to the facilities... by insurance companys.... the tracks were made to make the barriers (retainer fences) between the fans and the track safer and stronger....

After Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty were killed. .. the insurance companys were on NASCAR heavily..but NASCAR resisted and was lobbying hard with the insurance companys up till the point Dale Sr was killed that the tracks were not to blame... they were freak accidents.. we know what happened after that...

...the ones with policys on drivers as well.....
... and drivers policys were to triple period...

I was unaware that professional racers could get insurance -- health or life. I thought they were/are self-insured. Am I wrong? Who covers this kind of thing?

I can't remember the name of the company that wrote the policys at the time.. not sure if they still do.. but.. the were for anything off track.. and a limited amount for on track.. Health and Life.

i will see if i cna dig up who it was that did the coverage.

I was unaware that professional racers could get insurance -- health or life. I thought they were/are self-insured. Am I wrong? Who covers this kind of thing?

Maybe if they lied! No life insurance company in their right mind would cover a nitro car driver and if they did the premium would be astronomical and would probably violate their qualifying policy.
I would think he would still be able to get health insurance with some exclusions of corse and the premiums wouldn't be cheap.

Maybe if they lied! No life insurance company in their right mind would cover a nitro car driver and if they did the premium would be astronomical and would probably violate their qualifying policy.
I would think he would still be able to get health insurance with some exclusions of corse and the premiums wouldn't be cheap.

LLOYDS of London...

d'kid

LLOYDS of London...

d'kid

They will insure weird stuff like Gene Simmons’s tongue and off the wall stuff but not a high risk individual such as a race car driver.
What are the chances of something happening to Gene’s tongue as opposed to what are the chances of a race car driver being killed?
High risk is high risk.

I would like to see them count the records. The back on the national dragster list 1/4 and 1/8 mile records now, why not 1000'. Especially since I expect this will become the new finish line forever (at least at NHRA national events) Next year do they go back and see who had the fastest 1000' and count that as the record or just start new at Pomona.

Besides it would also be marketing and sponsors can claim after arace the "New Record Holding blah blah blah Funny Car" I would expect the record to change multiple times too.

Its not a big deal if they don't but its part of the race, if they don't count it or the points, they why count the round win?

It would take about 5 minutes to figure out what the existing 1000' record is, it's not like that time has never been measured. Make that the benchmark and let them go for the record.

I don't know if 1000' is permanent or how long it will last, but national records and the points that go with them are an important part of the racing. Just ask Tony Schumacher.

I would like to see them count the records. The back on the national dragster list 1/4 and 1/8 mile records now, why not 1000'. Especially since I expect this will become the new finish line forever (at least at NHRA national events) Next year do they go back and see who had the fastest 1000' and count that as the record or just start new at Pomona.

Besides it would also be marketing and sponsors can claim after arace the "New Record Holding blah blah blah Funny Car" I would expect the record to change multiple times too.

Its not a big deal if they don't but its part of the race, if they don't count it or the points, they why count the round win?
Damn, PJ and I agree 100% on a given subject, who would have ever thunk it?:eek:

I agree, the records are already there.

For Top Fuel

go to Tony Schu's 4.42 and see what the 1000' times is and make it the record

same for funny car look at Tony Ped's time at 1000'

Those would be the current records

just a thought

mike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back