Wooten Racing at 50% in Houston (1 Viewer)

I think the fact that Fuel Altereds can run 100% makes this issue total BS. I have never been to an ADRL race, but can tell you I would love to go. Kenny has built a strong organization that appeals to different types of drag racing fans. NHRA is nervous, but they shouldn't be. There are fuel fans, door slammer fans and those that dig both, like most of us here... Maybe this will (or should) make NHRA raise the bar a bit.

This is all about Kenny Knowlings arrogance and lack of willingness to follow rules and work with other organizations. Once again, because of it, the racers and fans are the ones who suffer.

This is all about Kenny Knowlings arrogance and lack of willingness to follow rules and work with other organizations. Once again, because of it, the racers and fans are the ones who suffer.

Your just pissed b/c your beloved IHRA is only going to have 10 pro mods show up this weekend. And I dont blame you.

No organization/company should have to let the NHRA tell them what they can or cant do. Its stupid. I think the only move the ADRL had was to make Wooten run 50% this weekend and try work this out afterwards. It only hurts the racer and the fans when this crap happens. What I dont understand is that fuel altereds are allowed to run whatever, but a full bodied door car thats safier cant? Makes no sense.

...What I dont understand is that fuel altereds are allowed to run whatever, but a full bodied door car thats safier cant? Makes no sense.

I don't know why people assume this car is safer. Until one of these things disintegrates at 300+ MPH and the driver walks away, I will reserve judgment on these cars being safer than a 10.1E or better Pro Certified Chassis.

As for the reduction of Nitro in the ADRL cars, it is a shame. I wanted to see this work. Maybe it will someday.

are you kidding. i have run in an adrl race and i can tell you kenny has an incredible deal going. nhra needs to worry and what rules is he not following. as stated above, fuel alterds can show up at a matchrace with 100% in the tank. if the driver and car meets saftey rules then what would the problem be. the rules have been available to the world at any givin time so why now does nhra try to ban the combo or organazation. cause the stands will be packed is why. it makes nhra look week and the higher ups cant stand that. as for ihra, what do they have that can compete with the adrl. nothing . mabey kids will like the tents, animals, and clowns , but for some outstanding door car racing i highly recomend you go see an adrl race before you put them down..... just my 2 cents from a racer and spectater that has competed in all three santions.

Guess I am a little naive here, but how the hell is NHRA going to police this 50% ruling. Will the Nitro Police have Hitler style uniforms with highly polished knee boots checking the percentages? I am surprised they did'nt enact a rule about what/who's nitro they can run. This exactly why I cut up all my competiton licenses and mailed them back to NHRA.

Last edited:
Personally, I think this whole deal is because NHRA is threatened by the success ADRL has had. NHRA didn't acknowledge IHRA existed until a few years ago when they finally decided both could co-exist. I think the "suits" are in panic mode and have no idea what to do.....except screw with their percevied competition.

Personally, I think this whole deal is because NHRA is threatened by the success ADRL has had. NHRA didn't acknowledge IHRA existed until a few years ago when they finally decided both could co-exist. I think the "suits" are in panic mode and have no idea what to do.....except screw with their percevied competition.

I miss Jim and the AHRA.... dang, but He got under Wally's skin... and kept the N honest.

d'kid

This is just a sad deal all along. At a time when maybe we should be backing NHRA..they do this. It's absurd.

And WTF Aaron Bertram..what were the rules last year? The same? What's changed to make NHRA play the role of dick??

Man..like I said before..it would have been nice to see people stand their ground.

I wonder what cloud NHRA's head is in to deny the fans the kind of show they pay for for no other reason than we don't want them to look and sound good! Duh !
The things will likely be running 1/8 mile tracks all over the United States soon right along side the Fuel Altereds.
Cudo's to Don and the crew for coming up with a likely last minute bevy of changes and a new tune to put on a show and compete !

I hate to get on the tire about such a heated subject, but am I the only person in this forum who saw 50% nitro percentage and ducked under my desk for cover??... 50% is a VOLATILE mixture!! I'm sure any seasoned veteran whos dealt with nitromethane considerably will tell you that 50% is engine suicide. As far as my opinion goes, this is a very very bad decision.

I hate to get on the tire about such a heated subject, but am I the only person in this forum who saw 50% nitro percentage and ducked under my desk for cover??... 50% is a VOLATILE mixture!! I'm sure any seasoned veteran whos dealt with nitromethane considerably will tell you that 50% is engine suicide. As far as my opinion goes, this is a very very bad decision.

Charles, in the Dragboats they allow 50% in the Top Fuel Jet class. David Kirkland is a Master at those tune-ups! Not sure if they have that class anymore, but he did it pretty easily.

Wow, don't tell this to the nitro racers this weekend at Famoso Raceway for the 51st March Meet, some of them will be racing on 90% to 98% nitro, I'd better take a desk with me. :rolleyes:

51st March Meet Same Day coverage

Your just pissed b/c your beloved IHRA is only going to have 10 pro mods show up this weekend. And I dont blame you.

The IHRA actually will have a full field of legal Pro Mods this weekend as well as a dozen or so Outlaw Pro Mods running an eight car shootout. Plus, I didn't realize that I was such an IHRA defender, but I do prefer them. In any case, this whole issue comes down to whether the ADRL is willing to follow the same guidelines the Super Chevy, NMCA and every other race series that have events on NHRA/IHRA sanctioned tracks do. If the ADRL feels that they are big enough to be a "direct competitor" to the NHRA/IHRA, and should be able to write their own rules as they see fit, then they should form their own sanctioning body and race on their own tracks. I understand the arguements about comparing this to fuel alterds as it seems to be a valid point, but at the same time the NHRA/IHRA have firm guidelines on jet car speeds allowed on their tracks and have outlawed rocket cars, so it is not like this is the first time they have forced tracks to abide their rules.

50% Dangerous load.
If that were the case why does Top Fuel get to run 90% with a blower? That's much more power.
Top Alcohol gets to run 94%.
ADRL has said since the first time the use of nitro in an injected car came up each case would be taken on an individual basis. This was to prevent people like me from trying to run an injected car on pop with no EXPERIENCE.
I don't think Tom Conway, who is ONLY ADVISING, is inexperienced.
NHRA bad.

Lee
Nitroclovers

Wow, don't tell this to the nitro racers this weekend at Famoso Raceway for the 51st March Meet, some of them will be racing on 90% to 98% nitro, I'd better take a desk with me. :rolleyes:

Darr, I think you misunderstood what Charles was saying. I've heard from some experienced Nitro tuners that between 30%-70% Nitro does become unpredictable! Not so much the explosion issue, but the Lean out hazzard of running that much Alcohol. At 90%+ that isn't a factor, but at 70% and down all that Alcohol makes the Charge much leaner. Jerry Newman had a great explaination of that on here some weeks back!

Darr, your looking at how much nitro is in the percentage as the more nitro you have the more volatile the mixture is. nitro at 90-99 percent is usually a very safe and effective mixture, depending on what kind of combination your running (ex. blown nitro, A-Fuel). But you start to creep below that and the flame front gets violent and starts to put alot more stress on the bottom end and eat up valves more....there are two mixtures that are extremely hard on parts and that is 50% and 85% hence why they allowed top fuel back to 90%. Do you catch my drift?:)

Its not just the 50% deal, the fact it is in an injected combination is what makes it potentially very troublesome.
Darr, you should know that. When was the last time you saw anything run at 50%.
Thought you were knowledgable bout these things....guess not.:p:p;):D
SUPER CHEVY WAS ALWAYS AROUND 15-30%
Dean

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back