Will this be the year Amato's track record from '99 finally falls?? (1 Viewer)

Frank

Nitro Member
Joe Amato still holds the Bandimere track et record, a 4.584, that he ran in 1999, a run that I think is still one of the best ever. Every year I ask if this will be the year someone breaks it. Well as much as I love Joe, I think his record will fall. The National Weather Service says the high on Friday will be 82. If that's the case the temp will be about 17 degrees cooler than last year meaning by the time they run on Friday night, the temp will probably be in the low 70's. I'll say the #1 qualifier will run a 4.552. Also the pro stock track record is 7.062 @ 195.65 ran by Jason Line last year. With the cooler temps I think the #1 qualifier will be a 7.011. If the pro stock guys would have had time to test last week like they normally do, I would have predicted a 6 second run, but without the testing I think we'll have to wait one more year for a 6 second run. What do you guys think?

Track Records
4.584 Amato '99 331.45 Schumacher '05
4.796 322.58 Hight '05
7.062 195.65 Line '05
7.332 Ellis '06 186.54 Schnitz '04

I agree its so cool this week and with the forecast, the track records will fall.

D

Hard to believe any record from 1999 still lasts anywhere. I think it can be surpassed this year.

Remember that run by Amato was run the ONLY time in NHRA History that NHRA ran 3 Pro sessions in one day! Makes a Huge difference, and yes it was around 7 PM at night when he ran it.

I think this will fall also. I can't believe it held this long. Just goes to show what a run that was. That was a shot out of the park!!! Some top teams can't run a 4.58 now 8 years later on a good track with good air.

A couple interesting things about that day. It was the last time I remember where they had 3 qualifying shots on the same day.

The track had just been re-paved.

Jimmy Prock called it. He told me at St. Louis (2 races before) that he was certain he could make the power to run a .50 in Denver if the new surface was good enough to hold it.

If I remember right, it even put a hole out down track, or it could have run 320! :eek:

Last edited:
It will hold.

Forecast for Friday is 81 and sunny and 89 and partly cloudy for Saturday and Sunday. This is above seasonal average for all 3 days. Humidity is forecast to be in the mid-low 20%.

Add this to all the problems everyone seems to have been having getting down the track (conspiracy theories intentionally not mentioned). I think it will hold.

Then again what do I know I'm no crew chief, I just sell radio equipment.

I would guess that all the track records will fall. It was really hot last year and this year it will be cooler. In 05 they lost the night session to rain/power outage. I expect several TF cars to run under the track record. Don't they raise the nitro limit back to 90% for Denver? As for Pro Stock we might see a 6 second run but unlikely this year. However Line's 7.05 will not hold.

Well 88 is the seasonal average but the temps don't drop until aboout 9pm as sunset is around 8:40. They will go faster than last years heatfest. But yestersay it was cloudy humid and 76 at 9pm.

i think the key is the track prep.... since so many have complained and feel its been questionalbe.. that shouldbe the only key to the records not falling....

IMO...

hope they do.. always fun to see the ET's drop and the MPH go up..!!

BIlly

Well unless it rains tomorrow delaying the 4th session into the night or rains on Sunday delaying eliminations into the night, I think Joe's record is safe for another year. Absolutely amazing.

For what it's worth.......in 1999, there was not a nitro % limitation....nor was there a supercharger overdrive % rule.....or a wing angle limitation....not to mention the tire they must run today........and the rev. limiter. With all that taken in....... Most of today's runs were outstanding. Melanie and I were 7th ( if i remember correctly) in 2003, with a 4.88....and you might not believe me if I told you where some of the tune-up numbers were at, to run that good back then. I think this is just a testiment to how badly these cars need 90% all the time.....just my .02.........Scoots

The last nitro session isn't until 6pm. While it is doubtful that somebody will take the record, I don't think it will be impossible.

For what it's worth.......in 1999, there was not a nitro % limitation....nor was there a supercharger overdrive % rule.....or a wing angle limitation....not to mention the tire they must run today........and the rev. limiter. With all that taken in....... Most of today's runs were outstanding. Melanie and I were 7th ( if i remember correctly) in 2003, with a 4.88....and you might not believe me if I told you where some of the tune-up numbers were at, to run that good back then. I think this is just a testiment to how badly these cars need 90% all the time.....just my .02.........Scoots

So.... The funny car track record should still stand from 99 also???:rolleyes:
The night Joe ran 4.58 the FC's low et was 5.03.

Hight ran .79 2 years ago on 90% and rev limiter.

I wasn't down-playing the Amato record.....no doubt one of the most impressive laps ever. I was merely complimenting the 13 or so cars that have run in the .70's or better already at this years event, given the limitations they have to deal with. Give them 5% more blower....or nitro....or better yet, a tire you don't have to crutch....and that record would have went away. Again, it was just a compliment to the guy's who really don't have to run their stuff hard up there if they don't want too, cause the car count is always low and they know they are gonna get in....but they did anyway. I don't think you will here anybody complain if this event were to go away.

Scott,

I'm pretty certain at Bandimere they get to run 90%, any blower overdrive percentage they want, as well as any wing angle they want. So I think the only other limiting factor would be the rev limiter.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back