Will this be the year that Joe Amato's track record finally falls??? (1 Viewer)

Frank

Nitro Member
Joe Amato still holds the Bandimere track ET record of, I believe, a 4.584 set waaaaay back in 1999! Does anyone break that record this weekend?Shumacher shattered the speed record last year running an unthinkable 331.45 in the thin air, but the et record of 4.584 still stood.

I still remember that qualifying session in '99. When Top Fuel came up my dad, uncle, cousin, and myself were all pondering if Blaine Johnson's 3 year old et record of 4.70 would be broke or not. Sure enough Doug Kalitta ran 4.66, I believe, to break the record. We couldn't believe it. Then a few pairs later Amato dropped a 4.58 318+ bomb on us! Truly amazing. Not only did he best the track record by 12 hundredths he had 8 hundredths advantage over the #2 qualifier!

Well, long story long, my prediction is the record stands. One of the truly great runs in Top Fuel history will live on at least another year!

Could be; but definatley will have to happen Friday night because we're supposed to be 100 degrees each day! I can't wait to hear what the adjusted altitude is. It's gotta be close to 8000 feet. YIKES! Tune with caution!!!!

That was an AWESOME pass. :eek: It put a hole out down track if I remember right.. It could of gone 320....

There was a prediction made to me in St. Louis, that since they had re-done the track surface, that they could run a .50 up there if the weather was right.... It was, and they did! The Prock Rocket was flying that night.

I think the record will stand too.

Denver Record?

I'll wade in here and give my prediction of... NO. I can't see a new TF record being set at almost any track this year since we're in the 85% era. I think that and what Chris said about the temp and corrected altitude will make it very difficult for any team to get a good/great/earth-shattering run together.

I'm thinking Tim, Kim and Brandon running a .55 friday night...
and a .72 in flopper for Prock/robert

Yeah Chris, the corrected altitude is extremely high. I'm pretty sure 2 or 3 years ago, when it was over 100 on Saturday and Sunday, Warren Johnson said the corrected altitude was 9100 ft. during the middle of the day.

Apparently, the Bandimere's are thinking about building a cemetery at the end of the track past the sportsman's pits for all the blower belts that will be killed this weekend. :D

I'll go ahead and say YES it gets broken. It will be Friday night and it will be Shumacher with a KILLER Johnson tune up. They may be struggling to go rounds but he can still unload a run.

Hey.... Someones gotta go against the grain...:p

I predict the sale of engine parts will be excellent this weekend trying to get into the show much less flirting with Joe's record. There will be carnage like we haven't seen for some time with this adjusted altitude they're going to be dealing with.
The biggest winner will be manufacturers!.

I predict the sale of engine parts will be excellent this weekend trying to get into the show much less flirting with Joe's record. There will be carnage like we haven't seen for some time with this adjusted altitude they're going to be dealing with.
The biggest winner will be manufacturers!.

I think if anyone does it, it'll be Schumacher.

Regardless, in light of Bobby's post - here's to hoping for no injuries beyond a rods, pistons, valves, blower belts, etc.

I think if anyone does it, it'll be Schumacher.

Regardless, in light of Bobby's post - here's to hoping for no injuries beyond a rods, pistons, valves, blower belts, etc.

Amen. I know they have a long shut down area there but it always bothers me to see how the chutes don't blossom well. Good thing they all have the carbon fiber brake pads!!!

I'll go ahead and say YES it gets broken. It will be Friday night and it will be Shumacher with a KILLER Johnson tune up. They may be struggling to go rounds but he can still unload a run.

Hey.... Someones gotta go against the grain...:p

I think I agree with you. Everyone thought last year with 85% and the rev limiter that no big numbers were in the offing. But I was in the stands when Tony and Alan unloaded that incredible 339 speed. Never say never. All depends on Friday's conditions.

I say it will go down on Friday night. Last year Bernstein ran a .59 and Shoe and Dixon both ran 60. Even though it will be slightly warmer they should be able to pick up a couple hundreds.

The sun goes behind the mountains fairly early there--so maybe Tony or Doug or ? might be able to uncork a good one if the track cools a little Friday night. I predict vast quantities of clutch dust on Sunday!!

Formerly 1320 Bob (been hanging here since late 2000 and still no MaterCred)

I think I agree with you. Everyone thought last year with 85% and the rev limiter that no big numbers were in the offing. But I was in the stands when Tony and Alan unloaded that incredible 339 speed. Never say never. All depends on Friday's conditions.

With the new NHRA rules (rev limiter, 85
%, etc.. I would think there is a "Theoretical TOP speed.. with a 3.20 gear, & RPM limited to 8500.. what is the tire diameter.. there should be a formula that shows what the TOP SPEED can be..... as for ET I imagine that is open to traction & tuning...But given a 3.20 Rear 8500RPM & tire growth a car can go only so fast (et)

I think it will stand espc...with the heat up there.

I think if you don't get in friday night you may be in trouble.

The great run by Amato lives on! Unless it rains this afternoon pushing back the 4th session I think Amato's run is safe until next year. The fact that NHRA has allowed the teams to run unlimited blower, unlimited wing angle, and 90% nitro for the last few years and the run still remains, makes it even more impressive in my opionion.

Bob Frey said last night that it is the longest standing track record at any of the NHRA facilities.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back