Wild Horse (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Was out since early this morning, until 8 PM. Pretty good Q numbers, especially Pro Stock. Stevie #1 by a hair in T/F. They were still running at 8 PM, trying to get in as many rounds of elims as possible, in case it (rains) tomorrow. T/D and T/S have some fast cars, they have run 2 rounds so far. Weather wasn't too bad. Alan said corrected altitude was around 2400'. Track temp got to 100 and was in the 80's tonite when I left. I really hope they can get at least 1 more round of pro Q tomorrow. We'll see.

While the morning looks pretty dismal the hourly forecast shows the rain chances diminishing after 1pm, hopefully it can dry quickly and they could get one session in and maybe a full night session for Q4 (very wishful thinking)

Started raining this morning. I was up at 6 and could hear the little pitter patter of rain drops.... argh Anyhoo, agree with Zed, hoping the rain lets up & at least get 1 Q session for the Pros. Two of the Pro/S cars had busted runs yesterday & could sure use another chance. I'm staying home today & tomorrow. I just go on Friday. Will follow on line. Oh, the rain is gonna turn into snow at higher elevations, like Flagstaff. Good for Snow Bowl, no fun for driving. heh

My grandson was there Friday as he has been since we pushed him in a stroller. He felt it was a very big crowd compared to recent Fridays. Maybe some Saturday folks making sure they get a nitro fix in case it does rain out today.

Question for those who have wheeled a car down Wild Horse:
How does the entire track surface stack up against other NHRA national event tracks?
In last night's qualifying show on FS1, there was a shot from the shutdown area, looking back up-track, and I thought the racing portion looks like it runs downhill. It didn't look as smooth and and/or flat as other big tracks. Maybe it was just the camera angle.
The shutdown area didn't look as good, to me anyway, as compared to what I've seen at other tracks. It looked like older asphalt with the requisite Arizona dust all along the guard walls.

At 12:20 pm track drying has started and the radar looks promising. Likely 2+ hours or so before we could run... With no sun on the track and a top end that has been hard to dry in the past, it may take a while. It s going to be a real test for the chew chiefs to get the cars down the track and improve!

Forgot which racer said that the track was ground smooth over the winter and the surface is real good.

I heard that too on Friday. The numbers were pretty good considering conditions. One thing about the track is that it looks narrower in the shut off area. You go down by the last turn off & watch the cars slow down, and it just looks narrow. It's not, maybe it looks like that cuz no center line stripe. Also, as Alan will tell you, the extended shut off takes you 1/2 way to Casa Grande. heh I think it is the longest shut off of any track still running. Maybe Bakersfield is longer.

Forgot to mention there were 3 Mustangs in Pro Stock. The Cudras' had a couple & Marty Robertson in the Elite camp, which has a Chevy engine. That was cool. One Dodge and the rest Camaros.

What I am hoping is that the cars will all make runs. Folks have been there waiting to at least see 1 Q session. Last year, this same thing happened on Friday. We waited all day & finally the cars come out. One good pass in F/C and then a few up in smoke runs, so all the Pros decided not to run and Fri was cancelled. Arghhhh It is sunny right now, 3;35 PM AZ time.

What I am hoping is that the cars will all make runs. Folks have been there waiting to at least see 1 Q session. Last year, this same thing happened on Friday. We waited all day & finally the cars come out. One good pass in F/C and then a few up in smoke runs, so all the Pros decided not to run and Fri was cancelled. Arghhhh It is sunny right now, 3;35 PM AZ time.

Keep the updates coming Cliff...and thank you!

Forgot which racer said that the track was ground smooth over the winter and the surface is real good.
That would be many of them.

Kurt Johnson and the team at Total Venue Concepts gave us an exceptional baseline in the first 400' or so. The work of Ron Conner, Lyal, Tim, Steve, Terry, and the entire track team from late December till our first Team Summit race in January was nothing short of spectacular. I really believe we have a good thing going moving forward. Let's all hope for a great and safe Sunday final eliminations tomorrow.

will someone please tell the clowns in the booth that we DONT want to know who won,before they race,today it was mostly in pro stock.this is the first time i have ever use the mute' button.

I heard that too on Friday. The numbers were pretty good considering conditions. One thing about the track is that it looks narrower in the shut off area. You go down by the last turn off & watch the cars slow down, and it just looks narrow. It's not, maybe it looks like that cuz no center line stripe. Also, as Alan will tell you, the extended shut off takes you 1/2 way to Casa Grande. heh I think it is the longest shut off of any track still running. Maybe Bakersfield is longer.
Cliff -

The extended runoff is relatively new in the last 6 or 8 years and was a retrofit. You may recall back in the day it went to dirt immediately past the main turnoff. At tgat time it was one if the shortest shutdowns and you could count on at least one car in the dirt every day of the national & divisional races.

Thanks for your race observations!

Lyle Greenberg

Question for those who have wheeled a car down Wild Horse:
How does the entire track surface stack up against other NHRA national event tracks?
In last night's qualifying show on FS1, there was a shot from the shutdown area, looking back up-track, and I thought the racing portion looks like it runs downhill. It didn't look as smooth and and/or flat as other big tracks. Maybe it was just the camera angle.
The shutdown area didn't look as good, to me anyway, as compared to what I've seen at other tracks. It looked like older asphalt with the requisite Arizona dust all along the guard walls.

Since no one responded I'll give you my historic perspective. I did Charlie Allen's Dog and Pony Shows at Phoenix back in the mid 1990's where I ran my TA/FC against Jet Dragsters. Lotsa fun. In 1999 after I quit driving we runner-up with my driver Pete Swayne on a holeshot loss to Frank Manzo. I've always liked Phoenix. 2001 was the last year they ran TA/FC's and TAD's at the Phoenix national events for some reason. They continued having us at the divisional events.

I wish they still had the alky classes at the Phoenix Divisional, but NHRA stopped doing that. argh

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back