Wild Horse test session (1 Viewer)

Alan, what are you doing up at 4 AM? Heh I guess what I was thinking about was people who were visiting Phx area and had a chance to see the test sessions. Maybe they couldn't come to the race, but at least they get a chance to see the track and maybe even see drag racing in person for the first time. That could "put the hook in" for future races, maybe in their home town, or maybe come back to Phx for the national. Well, anyhoo, yeah, I'm hard core. I like this site and like to read what others post. Have learned a lot just by reading what people say. Glad you're on this site too. Always like to hear you over the PA at the drags. :)

Why is this test session being closed to the public? 0
We decided to close this year's Test to the public for a few reasons. First, the Motorsports Park is in the midst of more remodeling and construction projects in decades and our Magic Dry Organic Absorbent NHRA Arizona Nationals about 3 weeks away. We have crews working long hours and a variety of heavy equipment running around. It just isn't safe for spectators to be added into that mix. With teams facing limited testing opps, this week is critical for them to get ready for Pomona. We only will be hosting a hundred or so sponsors to attend. We are allowing CompetitionPlus.com to live stream at no charge beginning today. We know it isn't like smelling nitro and feeling the thunder but or focus is on being ready for our 35th annual Arizona nationals. Please understand.

I have seen no mention of construction. What I read was mention of the track having equipment working in order to have the facility as perfect as possible for the upcoming event. This sounds more like maintenance. Apologies if I am mistaken. Again, many thanks to Comp Plus for the live stream.
Yes, we are doing a lot of maintenance. But also converting the ground floor of the Brown Tower into a special VIP club than anyone can buy admission to. We are finishing a new wall behind the starting line.

We decided to close this year's Test to the public for a few reasons. First, the Motorsports Park is in the midst of more remodeling and construction projects in decades and our Magic Dry Organic Absorbent NHRA Arizona Nationals about 3 weeks away. We have crews working long hours and a variety of heavy equipment running around. It just isn't safe for spectators to be added into that mix. With teams facing limited testing opps, this week is critical for them to get ready for Pomona. We only will be hosting a hundred or so sponsors to attend. We are allowing CompetitionPlus.com to live stream at no charge beginning today. We know it isn't like smelling nitro and feeling the thunder but or focus is on being ready for our 35th annual Arizona nationals. Please understand.
Thank you for taking the time to clarify and explain what is happening! Congratulations on the improvements!

What time will the streaming be available. I didn't see it in the article.

The LIVE stream will be up shortly. Comp Plus just posted this on FB "We finally finished some last minute paperwork with NHRA, will be live shortly".

Cars have already been making passes, so kind of a bummer to get a late start on the LIVE coverage.

The LIVE stream will be up shortly. Comp Plus just posted this on FB "We finally finished some last minute paperwork with NHRA, will be live shortly".

Cars have already been making passes, so kind of a bummer to get a late start on the LIVE coverage.

Chris, we recorded all of the runs and will replay them. We couldn't begin the live broadcast until certain paperwork items were done. It was out of our hands. Trust me we were chomp in at the bit.

Chris, we recorded all of the runs and will replay them. We couldn't begin the live broadcast until certain paperwork items were done. It was out of our hands. Trust me we were chomp in at the bit.

No biggy, been there done that and completely understand. A huge thank you for making the effort to be at Wild Horse to bring all of us "Nitro Junkies" a winter fix!

Cliff,
This might not be the best analogy, but if you could go to a sound check for a band that you like, hear them play a couple of songs and get your picture taken with the lead singer, then you wouldn't have to buy a ticket for the concert. But if you already have a concert ticket, then the sound check is an added bonus, that not everyone gets to see.

Alan

Great analogy. As Alan knows, and some of you may as well, I am in the concert touring business. Something that has been making a rise in our industry has been the V.I.P. meet and greet package, where for an additional cost, fans can purchase an opportunity to meet the band prior to the show, and in some cases, experience the sound check ("test session" as it were) before the doors open. IF they purchase a ticket to the event. This is no different. You want access that you can't get prior to the "show"? You now have the opportunity in some cases to pay for that bonus when you purchase your regular seat to the performance. But you have to have a ticket to the show.

At this point, our "test sessions" are 45 minutes to an hour long, with about 4 songs (maybe) and a photo and a couple of minutes with the "driver" (artist). Cost? Anywhere from $75 to $250, for just the M&G.
NHRA and Wild Horse MP is a bargain in comparison

Thanks Sam for the Live Stream link. Never seen these test sessions before and, as expected, it's pretty boring. But good to see the cars running again after three long months. Only NINE DAYS till Pomona!

Day one recap: Lanny was on his hands and knees inspecting the track and writing on it with chalk. Jeff Parker spent the day riding up and down the return road. A few squirts here and there and then Alan announced the lanes would close at 5:15 and that was pretty much it.

Actually, it was a slow day, SPR made it in around noon and we had plenty of time between runs and a couple of notables missing. There were a bunch of 60's as expected, others pushed it further. However, the 2018 TF Champion announced his intentions for 2019 on the first day of testing with a 3.72 @ 327.66.

you pretty much just agreed with me. why leave a non nat. event venue that brings out paying customers? it introduces a 23rd market to a 22 market, 24 race series.
a closed to the public pre-season test session is counterproductive to growing the sport. i.e. 23rd market for sponsors and prospective sponsors. if phoenix has to be 'closed' this year, and you don't have a 23rd market track to use, why not houston? new track sponsor pennzoil, also associated with dsr. why not surprise them with a little additional exposure? the PBIR sessions from a few years ago were much like a mini nat. event. there were many full pulls. even pitting low e.t. cars against each other in last passes of sessions for bragging rites. those south FL folks had a great show for a handful of years. so did the folks in tucson.
Because test sessions are just that... Test sessions. Not intended for the public. If they wanted a 23rd market, they know exactly what to do without trying to do it as cheaply as possible for the largest money grab.

That'd be like suggesting professional sports teams start traveling around the country to practice while charging fans to let them in to watch under the guise of adding more markets. If they wanted more markets, they know exactly what to do to add more. They do t have to try and ring $ out of practice, a time that's not designed for public viewing anyway.

There are much better ways to do that with out cheaping out on the consumer, IMHO.

So I'm watching at 5:20 on Thursday and I can hear what sounds like cars in the background maybe on the road course.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back