Wild Horse test session (2 Viewers)

Not sure about this year, but last year they used it as an excuse to force more people to buy tickets to the national event. Lol

what is going on on the other side of the track? i thought is was closed to public? who are all those people?.......ooooohhhh, it's not this year. it's a previous year, at a track not 'under construction'.
at a track that opened it's gates to PAYING customers for 2 days; even had jet cars. what a novel idea. a winter test session that attracted a large crowd. all those people saw all those logos.
all those people got excited for the season just around the corner.....and i bet most of them went to gainesville a month later too.
......good grief charlie brown. what would a sponsor say to the race team that says, 'hey, we've got a test session that's going to cost us $100k, and no one's going to see it. no pictures. not even
et's on DRC........sponsor says to race team.....'what test session'

Last edited:
what is going on on the other side of the track? i thought is was closed to public? who are all those people?.......ooooohhhh, it's not this year. it's a previous year, at a track not 'under construction'.
at a track that opened it's gates to PAYING customers for 2 days; even had jet cars. what a novel idea. a winter test session that attracted a large crowd. all those people saw all those logos.
all those people got excited for the season just around the corner.....and i bet most the them went to gainesville a month later too.
......good grief charlie brown. what would a sponsor say to the race team that says, 'hey, we've got a test session that's going to cost us $100k, and no one's going to see it. no pictures. not even
et's on DRC........sponsor says to race team.....'what test session'

Bobby has already said that the entire testing session is going to be streamed!

^ Yes, and much appreciation to Competition Plus for doing this!...But the point he was making is that this would be a wonderful opportunity to offer the fans a chance to watch the cars, and for the track to make some revenue, and for the sponsors to get some additional exposure, and to create enthusiasm as necessary to promote the upcoming season and the sport in general. You know, the innovation and goodwill thing that progressive, positive, successful people and organizations exemplify. ;)

Last edited:
thanks tom. yes, that is the point i was trying to make......and woops, didn't see the memo on the complus live stream. that is great. hope i have time to view.

^ Yes, and much appreciation to Competition Plus for doing this!...But the point he was making is that this would be a wonderful opportunity to offer the fans a chance to watch the cars, and for the track to make some revenue, and for the sponsors to get some additional exposure, and to create enthusiasm as necessary to promote the upcoming season and the sport in general. You know, the innovation and goodwill thing that progressive, positive, successful people and organizations exemplify. ;)

They clearly said that the reason it wasn't open to the public was because it was a safety concern due to construction at the track. As for making revenue, well, that would be offset by insurance costs of letting the public into a construction zone. And as for sponsors getting additional exposure, they are going to get a lot more than they would have thanks to Bobby and Comp Plus.

I have seen no mention of construction. What I read was mention of the track having equipment working in order to have the facility as perfect as possible for the upcoming event. This sounds more like maintenance. Apologies if I am mistaken. Again, many thanks to Comp Plus for the live stream.

The picture you show is a track that doesn't have a National Event, the fans that were there don't have a chance to see the Nitro Cars run at their track any other time. And I would bet that the vast majority didn't go to Gainesville as they were able to get a Nitro fix without driving 4 hours.

When they tested in Tucson, the place had a ton of fans come out, for two simple reasons, they could see cars they can't see in Tucson any other time, and they didn't have to drive to Phoenix to do it.

Alan

Having been to a few pro testing sessions I find it to compare very poorly to a national event .... so many planned shut off runs, so little side by side ... yes I will have the live stream going, but just for the moments out of hours where its worth diverting my attention. it's a bit too much like having a table in the kitchen of a great restaurant before it's open for business.

Having been to a few pro testing sessions I find it to compare very poorly to a national event .... so many planned shut off runs, so little side by side ... yes I will have the live stream going, but just for the moments out of hours where its worth diverting my attention. it's a bit too much like having a table in the kitchen of a great restaurant before it's open for business.
Agreed Jeff. When I lived in Phoenix I enjoyed going to the tests, but only because I’m an addict LOL. There really isn’t any racing, and full pulls are far and few between.

The picture you show is a track that doesn't have a National Event, the fans that were there don't have a chance to see the Nitro Cars run at their track any other time. And I would bet that the vast majority didn't go to Gainesville as they were able to get a Nitro fix without driving 4 hours.

When they tested in Tucson, the place had a ton of fans come out, for two simple reasons, they could see cars they can't see in Tucson any other time, and they didn't have to drive to Phoenix to do it.

Alan
you pretty much just agreed with me. why leave a non nat. event venue that brings out paying customers? it introduces a 23rd market to a 22 market, 24 race series.
a closed to the public pre-season test session is counterproductive to growing the sport. i.e. 23rd market for sponsors and prospective sponsors. if phoenix has to be 'closed' this year, and you don't have a 23rd market track to use, why not houston? new track sponsor pennzoil, also associated with dsr. why not surprise them with a little additional exposure? the PBIR sessions from a few years ago were much like a mini nat. event. there were many full pulls. even pitting low e.t. cars against each other in last passes of sessions for bragging rites. those south FL folks had a great show for a handful of years. so did the folks in tucson.

As has been stated earlier in this thread and in a press release from Wild Horse, the facility is under going maintenance, construction, whatever you choose to call it, therefore felt that he facility was not up to proper safety standards for the general public to attend. The facility made this decision for their reasons.

The teams choose to test at Wild Horse because of favorable weather conditions, it's on the way to Pomona and the second national of the year is held there. It makes little sense to try and hold a test anywhere else because of logistics and the uncertainty of the the weather across the United States in early February.

you pretty much just agreed with me. why leave a non nat. event venue that brings out paying customers? it introduces a 23rd market to a 22 market, 24 race series.
a closed to the public pre-season test session is counterproductive to growing the sport. i.e. 23rd market for sponsors and prospective sponsors. if phoenix has to be 'closed' this year, and you don't have a 23rd market track to use, why not houston? new track sponsor pennzoil, also associated with dsr. why not surprise them with a little additional exposure? the PBIR sessions from a few years ago were much like a mini nat. event. there were many full pulls. even pitting low e.t. cars against each other in last passes of sessions for bragging rites. those south FL folks had a great show for a handful of years. so did the folks in tucson.

My point was that if you bring the Nitro Cars to a non National Event track, you will sell more tickets because those fans don't have a National Event to go to at their track. And it would actually hurt Gainesville because a fan that just wants to see the cars and get Leah's autograph can do that and not have to travel to Gainesville. I know for a fact the some casual fans didn't go to Firebird (now Wild Horse) when Tucson had testing because they got to see the JFR teams and drivers in Tucson so they had a picture with their favorite driver without making a trip to Phoenix. Good for the non National Event track, not good for the National Event track.

If I was Tucson Dragway I would LOVE to have the test. If I was Wild Horse, I would not like Tucson having the test.

Then there's the business part of it. If the teams are testing they pay the track rental to test as they see fit. If they are actually running side by side and putting on a show to sell tickets, then the track pays the teams, or at the very least doesn't charge the rental fee.

One other thing, if you are the racer, would you rather gather data for a track that you will be racing on next month, or a track you will never actually race on? The choice there is easy.

Alan

I used to go to Tucson for the Pro testing sessions, but I still went to the National at Firebird. Guess I'm the hard core. I generally get to see Pros in person at the test session at Wild Horse and the national event a month later and that's it. Gotta say I was ticked at Wild Horse for saying you couldn't go to the test session w/o buying a ticket for the National & I hope they don't go back to that in 2020.

I used to go to Tucson for the Pro testing sessions, but I still went to the National at Firebird. Guess I'm the hard core. I generally get to see Pros in person at the test session at Wild Horse and the national event a month later and that's it. Gotta say I was ticked at Wild Horse for saying you couldn't go to the test session w/o buying a ticket for the National & I hope they don't go back to that in 2020.

Cliff,

Just being on this site pretty much makes you a hard core fan, we are like a support group! LoL But the reason the track did that is simple and obvious, if you sell a $25 dollar ticket to the test as a separate item then a casual fan will come out, take pictures and get autographs and not come back and pay the higher price for the nationals ticket.

This might not be the best analogy, but if you could go to a sound check for a band that you like, hear them play a couple of songs and get your picture taken with the lead singer, then you wouldn't have to buy a ticket for the concert. But if you already have a concert ticket, then the sound check is an added bonus, that not everyone gets to see.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back