Why Limit Pros to 16 ?? (1 Viewer)

Big issue nobody has mentioned yet is space. Which each pro team bringing a small village with them, then it becomes a case of which classes would be bumped out. Before you say limit what teams can bring, don't forget these are sponsor areas as well, which you mentioned adding more cars would bring. You can't bring them then not let them in.

Beyond that the time issue would be huge.

Plus it is not a case of if you build it they will come. I don't know if there are 32 fuelers out there. if you open it up, its not like a bunch of millionaires will say "well shoot, now there's enough room for us, lets toss some money there"

on a side note, since my dad is who posted this and we have debated this between us before. He is not of the thought that everybody gets to win type or hand all a trophy just for trying as some have misinterpreted. Rather he is of the belief that more nitro is always good. He also naively believes that more spots would entice more sponsors.

Run what ya brung, Paul, and hope ya brung enough!!!

You want to see them all run? Come on Friday or Saturday... Sunday is for those that have earned it.

At the Atlanta race we excluded 18 Pro teams.........seems like such a waste of men and machines. I'm just sayin.

If thats bad wait until the Rockabilly race at Vegas when 30+ AA/FC will be trying to qualify for an 8 car field.

All run is not the answer. If anything is, it would be to get rid of the testing restrictions so the less funded teams can get better without being penalized by NHRA.

As for odd number fields, they do it every weekend in bracket races.

NHRA getting their name out there is what is lacking. If NHRA/Full Throttle doesnt help promote their own brand it is doomed to fail anyways. If it wasnt for Force and Capps, the rest of the world probably wouldnt even know NHRA exists.

Cost of additional run vs. Winners purse payout (that will probably stay the same) = costs more to race.

16 is great. Qualifying drama is a good thing.

If thats bad wait until the Rockabilly race at Vegas when 30+ AA/FC will be trying to qualify for an 8 car field.

All run is not the answer. If anything is, it would be to get rid of the testing restrictions so the less funded teams can get better without being penalized by NHRA.

As for odd number fields, they do it every weekend in bracket races.

NHRA getting their name out there is what is lacking. If NHRA/Full Throttle doesnt help promote their own brand it is doomed to fail anyways. If it wasnt for Force and Capps, the rest of the world probably wouldnt even know NHRA exists.
Eric, which of the less funded teams are out of test days? I think all that would do is give the big teams that can afford to test, more of an advantage. There are a few of the big teams testing here in Commerce Ga this morning, but right now it is raining. There are about 4 smaller budget teams still on the property and none of them are testing, and it is not because of the lack of test days, it's because of the lack of money.

Last edited:
Now you want to punish teams for being well funded??? If a team wants to test 5 days a week, thats their business not nhra's.
I don't think Nhra wants to punish the big teams for being well funded, but they made a rule and if we want to play in their sand box then we have to play by their rules. When they made that rule then they made it their business.

I don't think Nhra wants to punish the big teams for being well funded, but they made a rule and if we want to play in their sand box then we have to play by their rules. When they made that rule then they made it their business.

That is why it's time to find a NEW sandbox. Why the owners EVER stood still for that rule is beyond me.

That is why it's time to find a NEW sandbox. Why the owners EVER stood still for that rule is beyond me.
My guess is because it is saving these owners a lot of money. Just testing 6 days a year takes a lot out of their budgets, so just think what unlimited testing would cost. But the one that could probably answer that question the best would be Don Schumaucher. There is no one that knows racing budgets better then him.

Last edited:

Because there is no viable alternative at this time...

I'd love to see the NHRA cut back to 10 to 13 National event... Like they did with the alky cars... and let the "Big Teams" and everyone that wants too, book match races the other 250 days of the year....

seriously, a 6.99 at Edgewater summer of 69? Someone should ask Gramps if that really happened...

d'kid

Back in the day when you had 32 car nitro cars for an event, you didn't have the issues with preparing the car for the next round like you do now. It takes 3 times as many crew members to turn round the way they are now, compared to the past. I am sure with allowing more teams in, you are also allowing more leakers and thus, more clean ups. The horse has left the barn because no one was there to close the door.....

If Top Fuel technology could have evolved over a longer period (rules kept tighter), there might be more flexibility in how shows are run and how many cars will show up, etc, etc. Catch 22 I guess.

I'm heading down another road now....

Unlimited testing would only cost what the team decides it would cost. You want to test once or 50 times a year, your call. What I'm saying sir is that NO ONE should be able to dictate what you do with your car.

Yes I agree when yer at nhra's race you run their rules. But, when you pull out the gate if you want to fire it up on the inerstate, thats up to you. No one should be able to tell you that you can't earn $$ match racing.

Karl yer right sir, thats how the sport grew was when they were barn storming the tracks. (free advertising)

The biggest problem with unlimited fields is TIME. 2 big reasons, 1. the time to run the event 2. the downtime for oil downs. If it was open fields, you'd have every leaker show up. Thats not a good thing for fans and tv schedules.

The Las Vegas 2010 Oildown Nationals is a great example of this. Its the only time in my life I have ever left a racetrack with nitro left to run that day. It was insane. I couldnt take it anymore. And I wasnt the only one. It was ridiculous. I'll be honest, if racing was like that I'd stay home.

Unlimited testing would only cost what the team decides it would cost. You want to test once or 50 times a year, your call. What I'm saying sir is that NO ONE should be able to dictate what you do with your car.

Yes I agree when yer at nhra's race you run their rules. But, when you pull out the gate if you want to fire it up on the inerstate, thats up to you. No one should be able to tell you that you can't earn $$ match racing.

Karl yer right sir, thats how the sport grew was when they were barn storming the tracks. (free advertising)
I don't have a problem with unlimited testing days. It would be cool if it did get more cars to match race, but I don't think it would get that many more. But that's just my opinion, no facts involved.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back