Who got screwed by the countdown? (4 Viewers)

Actually, Hight would have been the champ under the old system. To tell you the truth, IMO, the championship for Fuller and Hines was theirs to lose but they blew it by losing in the first round (by Fuller) and a second round loss (Hines - possible malfunction?).

About 80% of the fans...(But remember, we aren't that important to the NHRA)

Jay, you beat me to it, especially the fans at Maple Grove. Even though logic was screaming for them to do otherwise they started a race they knew they had no chance of completing just so they could set the countdown fields for Indy. So instead of running the race the following weekend when most of the fans could attend they ran it in the middle of the week. After Tony won Top Fuel I tried thinking back to a round that Hot Rod might have let get away and then I realized it wouldn't have made a difference if Hot Rod won every round through Richmond he still wouldn't have won the championship. Basically the first 21 races don't mean a damn thing yet NHRA still charges top dollar for admission ($55 for Saturday in Sonoma) and those races have no bearing at all on the final outcome for the season.

Nobody got screwed. They all knew the points system changed going in. Those that don't like it can always move over to IHRA.

Nobody got screwed. They all knew the points system changed going in. Those that don't like it can always move over to IHRA.

We all have, and are certainly entiltled to our opinions, Rich....With the polls showing 80%+ of fans NOT liking the countown, thats tough to ignore...

We all have, and are certainly entiltled to our opinions, Rich....With the polls showing 80%+ of fans NOT liking the countown, thats tough to ignore...

Jay,
Would you mind linking to that poll? 80% of Drag Racers agreeing on ANYTHING would shock me.

BTW: I think the last part of the season was exciting and good for the long term health of the sport. Nothing worse than half the championship in-the-bag by Maple Grove.

Jim,

I could care less if the championship is locked up During the Western Swing... I'll still go to as many races as I can, Still tune in every week, still listen to every round of qualifying... It's about The Racing and The People

Championship is the Icing on the cake...
It's just one aspect of the season, The real story, The real excitement is the racing itself.

d'kid

For the 2007 Season will there be a * after each Championship winners name.
So as no to confuse them with past Champions who won it the old way.
It is true that Fuller lost it by losing the first round.
And Doug Kalitta lost it last year by losing to Melanie's faster reaction time.
But at least last year the two season long best TF cars had a fair shot.
2008 Will be a year team Force will be a dominant force ( pun intended).

My disinterest grew with every race after Indy. I watched because I LOVE drag racing but I personally see NO point in crowning someone a World Champion because they got hot for a few races. Especially when they very possibly were not the best car for an ENTIRE season. I'd rather see it wrapped up early than this ending. If it's wrapped up early then so be it. Congrats to that team. They obviously earned it with performance and not as recipient of some creative points leveling and a brief hot streak.

I wonder how many less World Championships Garlits would have won under this system.

I realize this is not a politically correct statement... for whatever the reasons, but I found yesterday's finals one of the most entertaining races I ever watched. It was fun to get all crazed with every pass made. Kinda like SuperBowl without the great commercials.

I realize this is not a politically correct statement... for whatever the reasons, but I found yesterday's finals one of the most entertaining races I ever watched. It was fun to get all crazed with every pass made. Kinda like SuperBowl without the great commercials.

Me too....:)

Every Pro who finished 9th or 10th in the points. Some of the Pros who didn't make the cut to 8, but would have finished 8th or higher under the old system based on better performances later in the season than some who made the cut.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back