Whit's new blog entry. (1 Viewer)

Could it be the young rookies make for better press and lesser salary?
I see Baze has put his house on the market in Eugune? Oregon or ? seeing how he mentioned buying a house in Bend Oregon which is just down the road?
Good luck and hope to see Baze driving a funny car again.

I agree with Whit about hiring rookies.

That said Whit needs to shell out for his own team where he's going to be calling the shots.

Could it be the young rookies make for better press and lesser salary?

Of course, we had this discussion a couple weeks ago.
The driver salary (at least, on average)has to be the smallest piece of the cost of racing.
Parts, transportation, hotels, crew salaries, crew chief salaries PROBABLY all exceed the driver's piece.
However, a driver who can add value off the track - bring sponsor money - should be able to write his own ticket.
Many posters seem to disparage this concept as, "Buying a ride" , I see it as job security. I have to admit to being surprised that Baze didn't "have some equity" in the MATCO sponsorship. I thought (wrongly) that was part of the move to Powers.
Maybe drivers need to take more interest in the business aspects. Wouldn't even have to own the team.

PS: I'd like to be Melanie T and J.R. Todd's business manager!

Last edited:
I inherited the dislike of Whit from some in the racing community and watching his actions... But the more I see his writing the more I like the man... I hope he can get a ride next year...

As for the trend to younger people: experience can be gained, youth is always lost... I wouldn't call Whit old, but even his friend Frank Hawley teaches in his school that young people are biologically quicker to react... I think Bernstein is an amazing example of the older generation still great on the tree but hes one of the few...

CJ Curtsinger

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back