When Common Sense Failed (1 Viewer)

Chris,

I will respond to your comments but I will do so to reinforce my opinion without attacking you personally as you chose to do so with me. Nor do I hold any ill-will to you over a clear character assassination for feeling as strongly about your opinion as I did mine.

The piece in CompetitionPlus.com was not a news article; it was an opinion, which I am entitled to regardless of how much you believe I have failed to present adequate factual information.

I have re-read my commentary many times, and nowhere in the editorial did I say this situation was the result of anti-American sentiment from his fellow racers or the race fans of Europe. I really didn’t say it was FIA being anti-American.

I merely asked was this a case of anti-Americanism, arrogance, stupidity or all of the above.

I did get a few correspondences, “You seem to believe that as Americans you can do what you like. Look at your Athletes, repeated drug abuse amongst sprinters etc.”

But then, there were some really good ones of which pointed out the different reasons they felt I was incorrect in my opinion.

Was my editorial perfect and perfect in the way it was presented? No, it wasn't.

I will tell you that I did change one portion of my editorial and admit I made a mistake in the way I addressed something. I should have never said the FIA series was a joke, because this insinuated the European racers and fans are a less than serious and quality racers, which is clearly not the case. Anyone who has known me any amount of time, will tell you if I err on something, I will admit it publicly and this one statement, I misrepresented what I meant with my words.

If you wondered why I covered the FIA event, I did so because we cover drag racing, as we have all season long. My comments were never intended for the racers and race fans, that's why i continued business as usual. Until I saw your comments did I realize my words could have been construed that way.

Now, let’s get to the real heart of the matter and the way the TJ situation played out in the FIA’s court of rules enforcement. I am very much aware the FIA requires a license application, but in addition to this application, you can also submit an NHRA license which vouches for both your driving ability and medical fitness.

I am very much aware that FIA adheres to the WADA regulations.

Let me pose this question.

The FIA, which is very much aware of the NHRA’s unique policies, understands the United States sanctioning body doesn’t follow the WADA regulations.

With this said, why didn’t the FIA mandate Johnson submit to a new physical examination where, at the onset this terrible situation could have been avoided.

Instead, the actions of acceptance, whether intended or not, basically said the medical screening was acceptable.

Had this screening have turned up cocaine other non-prescribed substance in this situation, this would have been a non-issue. However, the Dexedrinbe in Johnson’s system was medically prescribed, and had been so since he was 18 for a condition diagnosed by a doctor.

This Therapeutic Use Exemption document can be argued until as we say in the States, the cows come home, but the fact is, he had filled one out under the NHRA sanction, just not under the FIA arena. This is where the problem is, when the FIA accepted the NHRA’s physical fitness certification, didn’t they accept the NHRA’s TUE?

The interesting thing about this form, is Johnson found out about it when he submitted to the FIA’s random drug screening when he offered his prescription and the doctor diagnosis. What we all should find out even more interesting is that Graham Light, the chairman of this ACCUS/FIA drag racing commission, found out too.

I only wrote my commentary after the FIA had an opportunity to do the right thing and realize their grayed area of the rules left room for confusion but they didn’t in the rules process. Though they acknowledged Johnson never used the drug in a performance enhancing capacity, they could have reduced the sentence fairly to a suspension as time served through the appeals process and a monetary fine. Instead, they offered a reduced sentence of more time which inevitably cost the Andersen team and TJ fans, not to mention a heartbroken TJ, a championship they had not only earned the right to challenge for but also deserved to continue racing for.

What we might never know is if FIA was willing to hand down a lesser punishment only to be strong-armed by WADA?

Furthermore, if we are to mention the Mike Strasburg case as rules enforcement to justify how the NHRA followed the case to the letter of the law, I would be more than happy to present the facts there too.

There’s no argument that Strasburg lollygagged when it came time to visiting the center within the prescribed 24 hour time period, but he DID present a sample. He just didn’t present TWO samples to fulfill the requirement within the 24 hour period, where at least 12 of those hours the facility is closed.

The NHRA, by the letter of the law, rightfully suspended Strasburg, pending an appeal to present his innocence.

However, when Strasburg, spending his own money, chose other forms of testing, which can’t be cheated to prove his innocence, the NHRA studied the evidence before them and let common sense prevail that he was not guilty of being a doper [which carries no offense for a first time positive test with rehab], he was just guilty of being slack in taking a timely urination.

Using this precedence, the FIA could have acknowledged the clear evidence before them and likewise reduced the sentence to a crime fitting of someone guilty of a paperwork violation and not a doper who intended to skirt the rules.

Whether I read the FIA/ACCUS' application or not, doesn’t mean the system isn’t flawed. Even if I read it 10,000 more times, it still won’t change the fact the system needs reworking.

As far as I am concerned, you can point out how wrong I am in my opinion. You can paint me as a racist and make the ludicrous accusation I hate the rest of the world and judge others by the color of the skin.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is this situation was handled poorly and no amount of rose colored glasses can make this clear.

Last edited:
I guess they just didn't appreciate an American comimg to their series and winning the championship. Surley they aren't stupid enough to think anybody really believes what they are saying.

I don't really care if anybody flames me for this.

As soon as I heard this, my first thought was, "suspended with 1 round left to go for the championship. Seems like they didn't like an 'american' stealing one away from them."

You may think having that thought process was stupid. Saying that people are stupid for having this thought process is stupid in itself.

Why? One can make a couple of easy observations that many people from Europe have it out for us. Go to France and as soon as they find out you're from the USA they treat you like sh*t. Italy locked up an innocent girl to get back at us for no apparent reason.

From an outsider's point of view, it's easy to see that some people would think that TJ was screwed because they didn't like him doing better than the locals.

I don't really care if anybody flames me for this.

As soon as I heard this, my first thought was, "suspended with 1 round left to go for the championship. Seems like they didn't like an 'american' stealing one away from them."

You may think having that thought process was stupid. Saying that people are stupid for having this thought process is stupid in itself.

Why? One can make a couple of easy observations that many people from Europe have it out for us. Go to France and as soon as they find out you're from the USA they treat you like sh*t. Italy locked up an innocent girl to get back at us for no apparent reason.

From an outsider's point of view, it's easy to see that some people would think that TJ was screwed because they didn't like him doing better than the locals.

Oh, Samuel. The French don't like many people. Go there with an English (British) accent and they won't like you much either. You and some American's need to get the idea everyone as it in for you out of your head. The FIA didn't have it in for TJ. For the thousandth time, LOOK WHERE THE TEAM HE WAS DRIVING FOR COMES FROM?? It had nothing to do with them not wanting an American to win the title. If you believe that, than you are a silly billy!! As for that girl in Italy, I can think of many cases where innocent people from different countries have been locked up for no good reason. I highly doubt they were thinking "Oh lets get back at America" Are you ****ing kidding me?? America helped destroy my Grandma's country and a number of my relatives lost their homes back in 99. Parts of Serbia are still stuffed from it and the poverty is terrible in some areas still to this day. WHY CLINTON BOMBED THE SERBS: An Analysis Do you see me hating Americans?? Nope. Do I like the government?? Not really, and not just because of that, but because they can't even look after their own people. The reason a number of people from other countries don't like America is because of your government plain and simple. It sucks for those people that decide to hate on all American's because of their disliking for the government, because the common American person is one of the nicest persons you could hope to meet. Majority of my American friends have no love for the government btw. Americans for most part are loved wherever they go. None of my American friends have been looked down upon whilst traveling throughout Europe or Australia, also a lot of Europeans and Australians are obsessed with American culture. People love Americans for most part dude. Seriously Sam, you should travel a bit and go spend time living in other countries and open that mind of yours up just a little.

PS: Go to race in Europe or Australia when an American racer is running and see how much the crowd and other racers love it. Go watch some of the coverage from this years FIA season, or do some reading and see how much TJ's competitors loved having him there. That last line of yours really makes you look stupid having that train of thought man.

Last edited:

Samuel,
Certainly not attempting to flame you. It may be easy to see at first glance, but it's wrong.

No one’s national pride is being pricked here. We in Europe may seem like one amorphous foreign mass to you, but the thing is, we are all foreign to each other too. Europe isn’t a country, it’s a continent, a patchwork of peoples, languages, cultures and customs, nation states and national characteristics. Through centuries past, our forebears fought bitter wars against one another. Nowadays, in general, we live on friendlier terms.

International sport is one common thread we have, dividing us on the field of play but uniting us culturally – a benign sort of warfare. Soccer is much the biggest element but, way down the list, drag racing plays a part too. Thank goodness, we all rub along well enough together in the drag racing community.

Fifteen different European nations were represented at Santa Pod last week, plus bike entries from Canada and Australia. As Michael V. mentions, the Top Fuel team that has seen its title hopes dashed is an international mix too: Danish-owned and tuned, Swedish crew members and an American consultant, Mr. Jim Brissette, as well as the American driver.

Until this Tommy Johnson Jr./Team Andersen saga erupted, I dare say few of us thought hard about drugs in sport. But anyone who follows sport in the papers and on TV could hardly fail to grasp a rough picture of the anti-doping system and how it works. The World Anti-Doping Agency formulates regulations and procedures that are adopted, not just by the FIA and all (almost all?) who sail in her, but by other major sporting organisations too: the Olympic Games, summer and winter; various World Cups; and a panoply of different sports around the world. We know enough to understand that TJ’s plight was clearly not occasioned by a few vindictive officials within the drag racing community – or indeed by vindictive officials anywhere.

So far as I know, Tommy Johnson Jr. has been welcomed and respected at every turn on his visits here. So too, in the course of this year, have fellow Americans Randy Anderson, Will Hanna, John Smith, George Bryce, Gary Stoffer, Scotty and Scott Cannon, Camp Stanley, Ed O’Connell, Mr. & Mrs. Jay Eshbach and Mr. Brissette – have I missed any? So too has a wealth of American visitors over the years, from Big Daddy on down, stretching back to the original British appearances a half-century ago of Mickey Thompson and Dante Duce which helped give the sport its earliest European launch pad. The American presence has been entwined with European drag racing since its inception – a history barely 10 years shorter than the sport’s history in the USA.

That's why this 'easy' suggestion of anti-American spite amongst crafty foreigners would be offensive were it not so ludicrous – and some have clearly not seen the funny side.

The TJ/TA Affair is now over. The story has been aired and the appeal heard. Perhaps now we should bag up this unpleasant episode and stash it on a shelf labelled ‘Stuff Best Forgotten’.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back