What killed NASCAR? Is NHRA making the same mistakes? (1 Viewer)

Eugene may be right.
1544409665394.png

When was the last time you went to a NASCAR race Sam?o_O That more describes a lot of the NASCAR fans.:)

Never and I don't plan on going to one anytime soon. My attention span wouldn't support a bunch of cars going around in circles for 2-3 hours, anyway.

Ted,
When was that picture taken? Dale Sr. died 17+ years ago. Might as well show a front engine Top Fuel car.

Alan

That pic. has been floating around the internet for a while. Just Googled "Sharpie 500" that appears in the picture also and it looks like it was taken in 2007.

"The 2007 Sharpie 500, the 24th race of the 2007 NASCAR Nextel Cup season was run on the newly repaved and reconfigured .533 mile Bristol Motor Speedway in Bristol, Tennessee on Saturday night, August 25, 2007."

As long as the average guy (or girl) can rev the engine at a stoplight and imagine the adjacent driver doing the same thing, Drag Racing will be relate-able and, so, have a following.
NASCAR, Formula One etc become less-and-less relevant every year.

I go to a lot more local track shows then NHRA events anymore. We still get a great show and it's waaaaay cheaper. I've tried bringing newbies to nationals but who wants to dole out that much for something they're not sure they will like.

I wouldn't mind less national events, then send drivers to division races for exhibitions passes. The local guy in Iowa doesn't have a National near him but if a pair of tf or fc show up at their local track that is how you get the coveted casual fan to feel it. That turns into to watching more on TV and traveling to races. We are very much a have to be there sport, but we don't do a good job at taking it to the people enough.

I think the adjustment is driven by three primary things: 1. The ability to time adjust your viewing 2. the quality of viewing from home (e.g. 75" HD screen available to most) 3. the number of choices available. Motorsports has always stayed a bit on the fringes of normality. I will always be involved with motorsports and many of the people I interact with will too .... adjust but never die. I find that people that focus on things going away never do anything with any level of personal or financial risk themselves. Their views are rarely right and not relevant to my views.

Never and I don't plan on going to one anytime soon. My attention span wouldn't support a bunch of cars going around in circles for 2-3 hours, anyway.
I actually love watching short track racing and crewed on my brother's open wheeled circle tracker for a couple seasons. Personally, I'm not much of a big track fan, but I can see why people go. I've been to see them at Sears Point and enjoyed that as well. I think the problem is and will continue to be the drivers ability to relate to fans. I love racing history and used to love to read the life stories of Cale Yarborough, Junior Johnson, Bill Elliott, Ricky Rudd, Mark Martin, Tim Richmond and others of that era. Know what they all had in common? They all (except Richmond) came from nothing and made their way based on talent and desire. Ricky Rudd's first Cup Car actually was prepared in his father's junkyard by family and friends. Cale Yarborough was so broke once going to a race he couldn't pay the road toll and had to ask the toll both person to let him go and he'd pay on the way back, which he did. He also had his pregnant wife with him at the time. One time during a particularly tough winter, Tim Richmond organized several NASCAR teams to use their haulers to deliver hay to farmers in the south, all for free. These people are worthwhile role models for the guy working 50 hrs a week to pay the bills. Today's stars are kids that for the most part have also dedicated their life to racing, but haven't come from the same place as the fans. They've been groomed from day one, had the best karts, driven sportsman cars as soon as the rules would allow. Jeff Gordon's family moved to a different state to allow him to race sprint cars at a younger age. I can't do that, nor can I fathom having that much money and there is the disconnect. The cars are better than ever, the racing is actually better than ever, but if the fan can't relate to the drivers, what difference does it make? Just my .02.

While I agree with many things that the video and others are stating, we need to also remember a few other variables that are effecting attendance and ratings of motorsports. Lets start with the "Great Recession". In 2008 the world was clobbered financially. Peoples entertainment dollar was ripped from their wallets and the thought of spending money for a ticket and a $10 beer for many folks was a tough pill to swallow when they were loosing, jobs, homes and more. Attendance began to take a hit at this time and sponsors began to pull back. Sponsors continually look at their bottom line and when they not only are selling less merchandise to pay for said sponsorships because of the recession and they see fewer people attending events, they dial back there advertising spend. So with fans running lean on funds, so are race teams. No fans, no teams, no sponsors, no money!

Next you have the ageing and passing of the car culture generations. The fans that propped up these sports for so many years were effected by the economy and are aging. Many could no longer justify the expense and many quite frankly got to old to care any more. Unfortunately some how these generations that were literally car crazy didn't pass along there passion for automobiles and racing to their offspring. The car culture generation is being replaced by a generation that could give a poop about cars. Heck, many teenagers that I've encountered could care less about even obtaining their drivers license, let alone care about cars. The only thing important to the new generations are "likes" on their social media account.

So until the sanctioning bodies can figure out how to appeal to a generation that could care less about cars, motorsports in general is going to shrink. And less we forget about the continued cost of racing in general as well, race teams are going to find it difficult to continue. Organizations like the NHRA need to get their heads out of the sand and listen to what the younger generations are trying to say. They need to realize that what they are providing is a source of entertainment and they need to realize that their new audience could care less about the nostalgia of the sport. They want laser shows, hot girls, energy drinks, etc. NHRA needs to take a very close look at what Feld Entertainment has done with Monster Energy Supercross. Supercross appeals to the younger generation. Why? Because it's extreme, it's social, it's at night, it lasts 3 hours, it has laser shows, girls, energy, etc. And the NHRA needs to realize that they could easily cross promote with Supercross. Heck, they broadcast their events on the same network, Fox Sports. Light off a fuel car at a Supercross pit party. That will get some attention.

What I'm saying, is the NHRA needs to get off its lazy butt and go get the fans. It takes money to make money, so get out there and throw a little bit around at attracting new fans. They can't just expect people to come to an event just because there's one going on near by. Heck, when I lived in Glendora, just a few minutes from NHRA corporate headquarters and Pomona Raceway, you'd be lucky to even hear a radio commercial for the Winternationals, or World Finals. Most of my friends wouldn't even know the event is going on unless I mentioned it. NHRA's marketing is pathetic. And for them to be located and running two events per year in an area with more people per square mile than any other reagion in the country and to not even come close to a sellout is just sad. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. The NHRA as a good product. They just need to make it great again and let the people know about it.

And one more thing. The NHRA and Coca-Cola need to drop the whole "Only" Mello Yello can participate. Monster Energy is the title sponsor of the Supercross and ironically is now owned by Coca-Cola and yet Monster Energy Supercross allows all other brands of Energy drink to participate. For example, Monster Energy sponsors the series and a few race teams. Red Bull, Rock Star and others are also sponsors of several race teams. It's kind of like the energy drink wars. So why in the world can NHRA race teams not have competing energy drink sponsors?

Ok, rant over. Sorry about the long post. Flame away!

While I agree with many things that the video and others are stating, we need to also remember a few other variables that are effecting attendance and ratings of motorsports. Lets start with the "Great Recession". In 2008 the world was clobbered financially. Peoples entertainment dollar was ripped from their wallets and the thought of spending money for a ticket and a $10 beer for many folks was a tough pill to swallow when they were loosing, jobs, homes and more. Attendance began to take a hit at this time and sponsors began to pull back. Sponsors continually look at their bottom line and when they not only are selling less merchandise to pay for said sponsorships because of the recession and they see fewer people attending events, they dial back there advertising spend. So with fans running lean on funds, so are race teams. No fans, no teams, no sponsors, no money!

Next you have the ageing and passing of the car culture generations. The fans that propped up these sports for so many years were effected by the economy and are aging. Many could no longer justify the expense and many quite frankly got to old to care any more. Unfortunately some how these generations that were literally car crazy didn't pass along there passion for automobiles and racing to their offspring. The car culture generation is being replaced by a generation that could give a poop about cars. Heck, many teenagers that I've encountered could care less about even obtaining their drivers license, let alone care about cars. The only thing important to the new generations are "likes" on their social media account.

So until the sanctioning bodies can figure out how to appeal to a generation that could care less about cars, motorsports in general is going to shrink. And less we forget about the continued cost of racing in general as well, race teams are going to find it difficult to continue. Organizations like the NHRA need to get their heads out of the sand and listen to what the younger generations are trying to say. They need to realize that what they are providing is a source of entertainment and they need to realize that their new audience could care less about the nostalgia of the sport. They want laser shows, hot girls, energy drinks, etc. NHRA needs to take a very close look at what Feld Entertainment has done with Monster Energy Supercross. Supercross appeals to the younger generation. Why? Because it's extreme, it's social, it's at night, it lasts 3 hours, it has laser shows, girls, energy, etc. And the NHRA needs to realize that they could easily cross promote with Supercross. Heck, they broadcast their events on the same network, Fox Sports. Light off a fuel car at a Supercross pit party. That will get some attention.

What I'm saying, is the NHRA needs to get off its lazy butt and go get the fans. It takes money to make money, so get out there and throw a little bit around at attracting new fans. They can't just expect people to come to an event just because there's one going on near by. Heck, when I lived in Glendora, just a few minutes from NHRA corporate headquarters and Pomona Raceway, you'd be lucky to even hear a radio commercial for the Winternationals, or World Finals. Most of my friends wouldn't even know the event is going on unless I mentioned it. NHRA's marketing is pathetic. And for them to be located and running two events per year in an area with more people per square mile than any other reagion in the country and to not even come close to a sellout is just sad. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. The NHRA as a good product. They just need to make it great again and let the people know about it.

And one more thing. The NHRA and Coca-Cola need to drop the whole "Only" Mello Yello can participate. Monster Energy is the title sponsor of the Supercross and ironically is now owned by Coca-Cola and yet Monster Energy Supercross allows all other brands of Energy drink to participate. For example, Monster Energy sponsors the series and a few race teams. Red Bull, Rock Star and others are also sponsors of several race teams. It's kind of like the energy drink wars. So why in the world can NHRA race teams not have competing energy drink sponsors?

Ok, rant over. Sorry about the long post. Flame away!
Agree with you on everything, we need sponsor rivalries, but I wouldn’t consider Mello Yello a energy drink. I always thought it might be better if racers ran the NHRA any thoughts on that?

Agree with you on everything, we need sponsor rivalries, but I wouldn’t consider Mello Yello a energy drink. I always thought it might be better if racers ran the NHRA any thoughts on that?
I agree, I don't consider Mello Yello an energy drink either, it's more of a soft drink. I think the whole thing with competing brands started with the Full Throttle Energy brand. It's ironic that Coca-Cola is part owner of Monster Energy and they have no problem with other competing brands participating in the Monster Energy Supercross. It seems that the NHRA either has their own rules when it comes to competing brands, or they are easily manipulated by sponsors to be the sole brands allowed at NHRA events. Another example is Harley Davidson being an NHRA sponsor and only the V&H Harley race team is allowed to compete on Harley motorcycles. Anyway, that's a whole other conversation.

As to your question, the NHRA was always ran by racers and enthusiasts. It wasn't until Wally Parks grew older and NHRA grew bigger that the corporate, big salary executives became the shot callers. That is when the direction of the sport seemed to change and turn stagnant. At least that is the way I see it, and I maybe wrong. But yes, the NHRA NEEDS racers and enthusiast to at the very least help provide ideas and direction. I often wish that a few of us fans, racers, etc. could sit down and have a round table discussion with the top brass and let them know how the NHRA is viewed from this side of the fence. Just because they are the big dogs with the big pay checks doesn't mean they know what's best for the sport.

But I don't see drag racing going away completely. I'd like to think that as long as there are two people with cars, they are going to see which car is fastest. And I want to be there to watch.
I completely agree with this statement. Drag racing will always exist on some level. The face of drag racing may change dramatically with nitro classes seemingly doing their best to price themselves out of existence. Maybe nitro will be exhibition only. Maybe drag racing will return to being almost exclusively grassroots racers; or maybe it will be electric cars. But as long as there are two vehicles of some kind, the spirit of competition will inspire people to race.

The local guy in Iowa doesn't have a National near him but if a pair of tf or fc show up at their local track that is how you get the coveted casual fan to feel it
Two words that in the past drove local track attendance and driver followings: Match Racing. Case in point, Jungle Jim. He didn’t run all that many national events and wasn’t that much of a “hitter” in the big show, but he built a HUGE fan base match racing and remains a fan favorite to this day. When I was a kid the airwaves were saturated with "Sunday! Sunday!..." ads offering opportunities to see your favorites at a local track and not have to drive for hours to a national event. And God forbid you should miss the Coca Cola Cavalcade of Stars when it came to town!

The NHRA and Coca-Cola need to drop the whole "Only" Mello Yello can participate.
It’s not only Mello Yello, it’s many products that are not allowed to compete with the NHRA “approved” sponsors. This has driven a lot of sponsorship dollars away from the sport. And NHRA must have thought the various parts manufacturers were making too much money and raised the price of signage or a display booth to the moon. The result? The Manufacturer's Midway has been decimated.

The sky is NOT falling. We will adjust and we will survive.
I completely agree. The video is hypothetical and intended to be a cautionary tale. Collectively when we are critical of NHRA it’s because we want to see it succeed and not fail! But we worry that the top brass just doesn’t get it.

Drag racing is tough to get new people interested in doing. Last time I went down an NHRA track, it was a test and tune at our local track. I paid $50.00 for a tech card and sat in line for 4 hours. Then got one pass and could go back in line and wait another 4 hours or go home. Really tough to talk someone into getting involved with this.

The road race track at my shop has street drags on Saturday nights during the summer. $20.00 to run. All grudge, no classes, no purse. Just line up with someone and race. I have had people come outing give it a shot and they liked it. My wife and I had a 2 out of 3 match race and the crowd loved it (she beat me).

I know I am not the first to say this. The first move that should be made is to have internet access at all points at all National events. We have the perfect entertainment for the millennials. It only lasts a few seconds (for short attention spans) and it is extreme!!! What is obviously missing from the equation is the ability for them to IMMEDIATELY post and then check for "likes".............

Drag racing is tough to get new people interested in doing. Last time I went down an NHRA track, it was a test and tune at our local track. I paid $50.00 for a tech card and sat in line for 4 hours. Then got one pass and could go back in line and wait another 4 hours or go home. Really tough to talk someone into getting involved with this.

The road race track at my shop has street drags on Saturday nights during the summer. $20.00 to run. All grudge, no classes, no purse. Just line up with someone and race. I have had people come outing give it a shot and they liked it. My wife and I had a 2 out of 3 match race and the crowd loved it (she beat me).

This right here. I love drag racing period, and I make it out to my local track to spectate as often as I can. Our local facility also has a paved kart road course and a couple years ago I met a father and son that go into kart racing for just this reason, seat time per race day. If your local track screws around between runs, takes all day when the track needs cleaning after a blow up or isn't running a tight show, they are part of the problem. I remember at Sears Point years ago, I went to a Super Chevy Show and the track had cars running constantly. One pair in the burnout box, one pair staging and one pair crossing the finish line, all day long. That's the way any local track should be run to keep things moving for casual spectators to entice them to return.

The match racing days still exist, but the product has changed. Instead of track promoters bringing in a couple of Nitro Funny Cars, now they bring in a couple of Street Outlaws guys.
I agree that it would be cool to see more match racing going on with some of the big names, but I guess they have pretty busy schedules as it is. I'm just imagining a Wednesday night at a small track filled to the rafters with John Force vs Cruz Pedregon under the lights...I can dream right?

My Winston Cup life in the 80's / 90's:
1. Sunday: Race
2. Monday: Read Tom Higgins in the Charlotte Observer
3. Wednesday: Anticipate the Grand National/Winston Cup Scene in mail
4. Thursday/Friday: Carry Grand National/Winston Cup Scene in my book bag at school and read when time permits
5. Friday: Make sure I'm listening to qualifying on 105.7 WFMX
6. Sunday: Race

Hmmmmm...What's missing? How about this: 2 hour long shows dedicated to the sport each day in season on FS1 and NBCSN, a 24 hour a day dedicated Sirius XM station, endless updates from team or driver social media available, every practice session broadcast, every qualifying session broadcast, and 2 hours of pre-race TV.

As a fan, in 30 years I went from starvation and need, to moderation, to complete and utter oversaturation on epic levels.

If everything is brought to my living room, or my hand held device over a period of time I realize I don't need to go pay $300 on a weekend to see it in person.

NASCAR made big big bucks off of TV rights. And this is exactly what they have achieved at the majority of track venues: a TV show.

And TV shows are meant to be watched on TV.
Races as TV shows mean seats at the races are empty.
If a broadcast can bring everything into your living room, and a multitude of technological innovations I can't get by paying for a $85 seat then why go?

Now, the other question then to be answered is if this is true then why the low TV ratings?
My answer: Nobody cares about the drivers. How many driver shirts do you see each day in life? How many number decals do you see on the rear glass of cars on the highway? How many front mounted plates on automobiles to support a driver do you see today? All of these things were numerous in the 90's and early 2000's.

I don't care about followers on Twitter or Facebook, etc. It's as easy to click Follow on those buttons as it is on the TV remote.
Do I see grown men arguing in a tavern or in the church yard over Ford vs. Chevrolet, or Elliott vs. Wallace vs. Earnhardt vs. DW??
Nope. The truth is that's what we did.

The short of it is this: NHRA, IndyCar, and tape delayed Late Model Dirt Races garner all my motorsports TV viewing.

The match racing days still exist, but the product has changed. Instead of track promoters bringing in a couple of Nitro Funny Cars, now they bring in a couple of Street Outlaws guys.
I agree that it would be cool to see more match racing going on with some of the big names, but I guess they have pretty busy schedules as it is. I'm just imagining a Wednesday night at a small track filled to the rafters with John Force vs Cruz Pedregon under the lights...I can dream right?
It's called Norwalk's Night of Fire. They bring in some big hitter nitro funny cars every year. Now if only more tracks would follow suit.

I posted about this a while back on another site, but years ago we piled into the car and went to Kil-Kare over in Ohio for a race put on by what was then the Pro Stock Owner's Association. This was essentially a Pro Stock match race and that place was absolutely PACKED that night (Mid '80's?). That track was a bit short for those guys to run on, so they ran 1,000' that night. The racing was great, there was a crash, unfortunately (Manchester) and even had a little drama when LePone pissed Glidden off and he packed up and left before eliminations.

It was a great show for those times, for sure, and there was no nitro on the property.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back