What killed NASCAR? Is NHRA making the same mistakes? (1 Viewer)

I posted about this a while back on another site, but years ago we piled into the car and went to Kil-Kare over in Ohio for a race put on by what was then the Pro Stock Owner's Association. This was essentially a Pro Stock match race and that place was absolutely PACKED that night (Mid '80's?). That track was a bit short for those guys to run on, so they ran 1,000' that night. The racing was great, there was a crash, unfortunately (Manchester) and even had a little drama when LePone pissed Glidden off and he packed up and left before eliminations.

It was a great show for those times, for sure, and there was no nitro on the property.

Sean D

I remember those match races. I lived near Edgewater (Cincinnati), and they would have a match race before the National at Columbus.

No opinion one way or another, but why not Pomona, eliminate Vegas 1 and make Vegas 2 the World Finals. No Charlotte 2 and that eliminates 3 races right their

I have mentioned the “Too Many Races” to NHRA employees before. While They did agree some races are basically Lead Balloons. NHRA is scared to death of Alienating Bruton Smith!!! My response is Bruton Smith needs NHRA more now than ever!!!

I'm with Eugene on this one, the NASCAR Champion is from Connecticut, runner up from New Jersey, 3rd place from Bakersfield, CA. and 4th calls Las Vegas, NV. home. All Very well spoken, and I think we had as many fights as they did this year.

Also, NASCAR isn't "Dead" they are in a transitional time, as are all sports. At a seminar at PRI this week an industry insider read a story by a professional journalist that stated (I'm paraphrasing) "Drag Racing is dead, it will disappear in 5 years, there is no interest, no sponsors, and fans have seen it all. There is no future for the sport." Dated 1971.

I don't care what your business is, you adjust, constantly, you grow when times allow, you pull back when necessary, you hope that you recognize quickly and react correctly. Sometimes you nail it as if you had a crystal ball, and sometimes you don't. And you hope what you learn will help in the next cycle (which will be different).

The sky is NOT falling. We will adjust and we will survive.

As always, this is Just My Opinion.
Alan

Good post, I couldn’t count the number NHRA is Dead or Dying threads I’ve seen here and other Boards since 2001! And while Nostalgia Racing is growing, their crowds still are no where close to. National event Countwise!

I actually love watching short track racing and crewed on my brother's open wheeled circle tracker for a couple seasons. Personally, I'm not much of a big track fan, but I can see why people go. I've been to see them at Sears Point and enjoyed that as well. I think the problem is and will continue to be the drivers ability to relate to fans. I love racing history and used to love to read the life stories of Cale Yarborough, Junior Johnson, Bill Elliott, Ricky Rudd, Mark Martin, Tim Richmond and others of that era. Know what they all had in common? They all (except Richmond) came from nothing and made their way based on talent and desire. Ricky Rudd's first Cup Car actually was prepared in his father's junkyard by family and friends. Cale Yarborough was so broke once going to a race he couldn't pay the road toll and had to ask the toll both person to let him go and he'd pay on the way back, which he did. He also had his pregnant wife with him at the time. One time during a particularly tough winter, Tim Richmond organized several NASCAR teams to use their haulers to deliver hay to farmers in the south, all for free. These people are worthwhile role models for the guy working 50 hrs a week to pay the bills. Today's stars are kids that for the most part have also dedicated their life to racing, but haven't come from the same place as the fans. They've been groomed from day one, had the best karts, driven sportsman cars as soon as the rules would allow. Jeff Gordon's family moved to a different state to allow him to race sprint cars at a younger age. I can't do that, nor can I fathom having that much money and there is the disconnect. The cars are better than ever, the racing is actually better than ever, but if the fan can't relate to the drivers, what difference does it make? Just my .02.

I have always enjoyed Dirt track racing! Much easier to stay engaged watching a 25-30 Lap Feature than a 500 lap race over 4 hours

I’m 59. I was a huge fan during those golden years. I haven’t been to a National Event in 15 years, and probably won’t go back.
What drove my desire to actually go?
Respect for the men and women who were behind the wheel. "Their story", and not daddy's story which bought them a ticket to ride.

I remember being at the Springs for the Shirley-Lee drama filled showdown. The tension was so thick....
I remember the Springs where Dan Pastorini, delayed by his junk transporter blowing up, then buying a new tractor on the road, and showing up just in time for the last qualifying run..just to lay down an out of the box 5.62 to get in. That gave me chills. The crowd went wild of course.
I remember a much respected Dick LaHaie lining up with other much respected self made racers like Big/Amato/LaHaie/Kalitta/Bernstein/Gwynn/Grose/Baze/Pulde, Yada yada.

With all due respect to Tony Schumacher, the Force girls, Johnny Gray’s grandson etc. I have absolutely zero desire to watch them race. I couldn't care less. Non of it their fault of course and I wish them nothing but the best and safest careers, but there isn't the emotional draw for me.
It’s just that simple..

Last edited:
Everyone's different of course, but I think the NHRA events themselves are better than ever. I cannot think of any sport that you can go wander around for an hour or so, meet your heroes and return to watch the event. I love the pro categories, but I can watch anything race down a dragstrip with the exception of electronic-controlled cars that fall on their face after the launch then run their index without drama or excitement. That's a good time to go buy a hot dog and a t-shirt. But any event I've been to you get to go home smelling of nitro, and more than get your fill of racing without being bored. Not bad for around $60 for a full day.

IMO:
1. The last 2 generations are not as much gearheads as the baby boomers, they just don't care unless it has beer can launcher exhaust.
2. Too many races, NHRA AND NASCAR spread too thin trying to go into other markets.
3. Televised races, why would some one want to spend a long hot day at the track, when they can see it on TV, unless you are a Nitro Huffer as many of us are.
4. We all know (or heard of) the heavy hand of NHRA, I know of a website that got chastised by NHRA for posting the press release FROM NHRA on his site.
5. Lack of the "little" guy having a chance at winning at a National Event,
6. Multi-car teams, when over 1/3 of the Nitro fields are under the same "umbrella" with maybe a couple of independents taking up usually the last 3 or 4 spots.
7. The Index classes are terrible to watch, not knocking anyone that runs them but when the car launches then hits the throttle stops, then takes off again????
Most of these cars can run 1/2 to a full second or quicker than the index.

Many more, but I miss Modified Eliminator.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back