NHRA Statement of action against participant (1 Viewer)

Al

Nitro Member

Much has been made of two sets of FC racers this season, that have had disagreements regarding staging tactics. But other than some heated words, these professionals kept their cools. This guy on the other hand (supposedly also over staging tactics) , tried to run his competitor into the guardrail in the shutdown area, and they apparently even touched tires ! There is a video and more info on www.yellowbullet.com. He apparently confessed that he lost his temper and made "a heartfelt apology".

This racer is so talented it is hard to believe. He may have set an all time record for earnings for any drag racer in a single season with winnings at big buck bracket events (around a million dollars). He is suspended until Jan. 2023, pending completion of anger management counselling. At times, I have personally thought that some NHRA suspensions were too hard ( Larry Dixon comes to mind ). But I really have a problem with this one, as I feel multiple years (or life-time) would have been more appropriate. Maybe this kind of stuff has happened in NASCAR in the past, but it is just not acceptable. I don't know if criminal charges have been considered, but that may be in his future.

What do you guys think ?

Yeah, that's a sever punishment. But, on the other hand, he risked his and the other drivers lives by trying to ram him into the guard rail.

Pretty sad when you decide to try to wreck your competition because you thought you were entitled to stage last. Many have said they will refuse to race whenever he shows up. Can't say I blame them. If this type of thing happened on the streets here in California the outcome could have been assault with a deadly weapon charges. He got a slap on the wrist is all.

Pretty sad when you decide to try to wreck your competition because you thought you were entitled to stage last. Many have said they will refuse to race whenever he shows up. Can't say I blame them. If this type of thing happened on the streets here in California the outcome could have been assault with a deadly weapon charges. He got a slap on the wrist is all.
Maybe not depending on who it was. He might more than a slap and not on the wrist. Very sure there are some Street (and grudge night) racers here that would make him understand what he did wasn't going to happen again after (and if) he healed up.

Maybe not depending on who it was. He might more than a slap and not on the wrist. Very sure there are some Street (and grudge night) racers here that would make him understand what he did wasn't going to happen again after (and if) he healed up.

Being a tough guy worked back in the '60's and '70's but it doesn't work out well for you today. Here's NHRA's response to "situation" that occurred only a couple weeks earlier. And it doesn't matter what your name is...
"
Statement of Action Against Participants
The following action has been taken against Richard Freeman and Josh Hart regarding an altercation that occurred between Freeman’s and Hart’s teams during the Texas NHRA FallNationals at Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Texas, October 7-10, 2021. As a result of the incident, Freeman and Hart have both been fined ten thousand dollars ($10,000). The fine will be dedicated to enhancing the capabilities of the Safety Safari. The action is appealable."

But can he race at IHRA sanctioned tracks and outlaw tracks that have big buck bracket races?
NHRA would not have a say in this, One more thing, not sticking up for this Dumb Ass!!!

I'm sure you are right Jim. In the past suspensions from NHRA haven't carried over to elsewhere. I would hope that this well publicized act will ruin his reputation and make life difficult when racing somewhere else. Although I doubt his entries will be refused by other tracks.

Being a tough guy worked back in the '60's and '70's but it doesn't work out well for you today. Here's NHRA's response to "situation" that occurred only a couple weeks earlier. And it doesn't matter what your name is...
"
Statement of Action Against Participants
The following action has been taken against Richard Freeman and Josh Hart regarding an altercation that occurred between Freeman’s and Hart’s teams during the Texas NHRA FallNationals at Texas Motorplex in Ennis, Texas, October 7-10, 2021. As a result of the incident, Freeman and Hart have both been fined ten thousand dollars ($10,000). The fine will be dedicated to enhancing the capabilities of the Safety Safari. The action is appealable."
Ed the “ACE” would be banned for life for his behavior! LOL 😂

So with this offense, he can appeal it. Is that standard, where under appeal he can still race? Should have received a harder penalty with no appeal option.

I've been sitting on this since the subject first came up on a couple of other drag racing forums.....I think first and foremost when I first heard about it...I was kind of in shock like "huh? Someone did what? Nahhh...."....well after watching the video.....yep....someone did.

We've all done stupid **it in this sport, let alone life in general that we all maybe wished we would have handled differently...or acted in a different way....but to intentionally (I say intentionally because the individual did admit what he did....that point is no longer in doubt)....put another competitor, let alone himself, in danger in a fit of anger is beyond the pale. We're not talking post race shutdown area shouting, shoving, showing each other how we can count to one without using our index finger, etc....we are talking about a situation that could have been potentially physically harmful...to both of them and others. And it could have happened in another round as well. Regardless of what triggered it...whether it was a "whomp whomp" after the stripe or someone losing the head game they were trying to play on the starting line....trying to wreck someone is just flat wrong. I know we see it in NASCAR and some other forms of racing.....but that is whole another discussion.

If you folks have looked at a few other forums....you will see there is a wwwiiiiddddeeee range of feelings on this one. Some...unfortunately...in a sense condoned what happened....others absolutely not....and then there is everything in between. There are folks that think NHRA overstepped or didn't do enough, the promoter didn't do enough, the promoter overstepped....it is just all over the place. But if you ask me.....you intentionally put someone in harms way in this sport.....that is a cardinal sin.

I don't know if it is cardinal enough to ask for a lifetime ban as some have said (on here and elsewhere)....but it sure as h*ll calls for more than simple license supsension and "classes". I don't what "more" is....that is another discussion too.

Just my opinion here....but the promoter of the series owns the "brand"....and if your "brand" goes soft on dealing with intentional possible harmful behavior from your competitors at your events...that is not going to bode well. We all know who is associated with the series...well known....damn accomplished...and yep....these folks probably have "seen it all" in their time in the sport...nobody knows how to deal with a situtationall the time....but I was a little in shock that there was no formal action / response at the event. To me....that condones or accepts the competitors actions. On my project sites my contractors HAVE to work safe....if they don't...they're gone...plain and simple. You put you, your co-workers in danger because of your own stupidity - done. See ya. Don't want the risk, and sure as h*ll don't want the exposure. Outta here. And when that happens we make damn sure whatever happened is communicated and the decision of the safety crew known. It's that thing they call a deterrent. And the same should have been done here. Should have been axed right then and there, for "x amount" of promoter series events in the future, and the remaining participants informed that said actions will not be tolerated and the competitor has been removed from competition for the remainder of the event and will not be permitted to participate in future event until "X. It's not fun to be prick...but dam*t folks....what goes on at the racetrack is risky and dangerous enough...last thing we need is this type of stuff.

And I know we all bang on NHRA and some of their decisions or sometimes their lack of....and in this instance.....I'd say they got it mostly right. If you look in the rulebook...any "member track" is expected to follow the guidelines of the organization, as well as the track itself, AND if you are a licensed competitor...well now you have little more skin in the game. There are those that will say the promoter rented the track, and that absolves the track of any liability or association with the event.....well it may....that is another legal discussion...but my point is a "member" track has obligations to the NHRA....so they do have a say. And when you have a competition license....looking at the rule book and their definitions of "events"...there culpability there. So I get it. I wish they would have taken the suspension to cover all NHRA member tracks...because this individual can go run a non license required class. Would you want your kid pulling up next to this person right now....even in a street class? Not so sure....there are definetly some things that need to get worked out between the ears here....and I hope this person gets them straightened out.

Doesn't matter if the individual can go race outlaw, no prep, IHRA....whatever...NHRA can't control what other organizations do....all they can hope with things like this is their actions are noticed and they in turn make their own decisions.

I think everyone loses in this one.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back