What if.... (NHRA followed the NASCAR franchise model) (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
I'm not advocating for or against the concept, just asking a "what if" question....

If NHRA adopted the NASCAR franchise model, what would that look like in drag racing? Setting aside the guaranteed starting spot issue which likely few would desire, is there a way an NHRA Franchise may make sense from a revenue sharing standpoint for the Professional teams?

This may not be 100% accurate in 2024, but I believe NASCAR races have a limit of 40 car fields, with up to 36 franchised cars/teams. Those are guaranteed starting spots and other people are qualifying for the remaining 4 spots. Any more, most races have between 0-2 non franchise cars so it doesn't matter unless it's the Daytona 500. Again, I'm not asking about this from the guaranteed starting spot aspect. Rather, are there other benefits that this may help with the professional classes/team owners?

i don't think it would work in the nhra. the whole idea behind franchising/charters is revenue sharing, with the potential to lift the value
of certain charters via individual performance or success of sanctioning body or league. IMO there is no where near enough money circulating
to even entertain the idea. when a network bids, and then pays nhra to broadcast it's races, it might be worth looking at.

Meh. I wouldn’t mind being .00001% owner of a top fuel team.

Part of the problem is the history of our sport. Where moonshiners escaping revenuers has been fantasized, when the average American hears "drag racing," nothing good pops in their mind. They hear the neighbor kid with the loud exhaust. They see the altima weaving in and out of traffic. They see the wreck they saw on last night's news that killed someone and the anchor mentioned drag racing. They see the stereotype of a bunch of drunken debauchery ala the zoo, but think all american motorsports are like that the entire time. Worse (lately), they see the takeover that their burned up stolen car was recovered at.

That's why we'll never draw F1 type money or crowds imo.

Keep in mind that Dale Jr hasnt moved up to the Cup level because of the cost of a charter.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back