What happened to all the hype about monoS (1 Viewer)

Doug in the woods

Nitro Member
I recall in Phonix 2007 alot of upset crew chiefs about a Mono Strut wing design being tested.
Well 11 months later what happened?
NHRA said NO?
Didn't work?
What became of the design and who now has the design in their shop??
Just wondering as alot of people feel that the mono strut is the future.

From what I recall, NHRA wanted a new spec on the top rail of the chassis in order to run the monostrut. Fuller was running so good, they didn't want to switch over. Plus, I thought I read Fuller didn't like how it drove, but don't quote me on that.

i hope the mono is in competition in 08. i personally think it's a safer design, plus it looks badass.

Drew..........I'm worried about you. Seems all your posts lately have been very dark in their content. Anything we can do to get you out of this blue funk??!!

Late..............Mitch

Stability problems with the wing when the car gets into a yaw position. Needs more development. I like the look of the wing, I hope they figure it out.

-Mark

It didn't get approved because John Force Racing didn't design it. :rolleyes:

Big Daddy designed it, and ran it on a few of his later cars, not sure if it weighs more than regular stut designs. Weight is always a factor. It seems interest now is that is gives large advertising space. Also seems less prone to damage from shredding tires, but that has not been tested luckily.

The problem (IMO) seems to be with the cost of testing and development no one has the budget to do it.

It didn't get approved because John Force Racing didn't design it. :rolleyes:

lol.gif

Well this clowndown to the so called championship should give plenty of track tim seeing how you only need to be in the top 8 by Indy.
Tony Shoe lost in a bunch of first rounds and still won the championship.
It's not like there is no design already in place-Phoinex 2007 when all the hulla baloo about who's design and who should be first to run it in actual compention. Tobler sure made a fuss about it but never did anything with it.
YES it looks BAD ASS and safer. NHRA should allow teams to try different expermintal things as it may improve the sport. Think what would have happewned if NHRA told BIG he could'nt run the rear engine combo.

From what I recall, NHRA wanted a new spec on the top rail of the chassis in order to run the monostrut. Fuller was running so good, they didn't want to switch over. Plus, I thought I read Fuller didn't like how it drove, but don't quote me on that.

I can't speak to the rest, but I wouldn't blame Fuller for not liking the way it drove after seeing his test run in Gainesville. It fishtailed wildly at probably just past half track, and it must have been a combination of luck and good driving that kept him from completely losing control. It was like the whale tail took on a life of its own once the car got a teensy bit out of shape. :eek:

It did look really cool though! :cool:

Last edited:
The Mono Strut is the right idea and it should be given a fair shake. It probably needs more development. The version Big had on Swamp Rat 34 was a little different than the one on 32. I remember seeing the crew guys painting chalk water on the Mono Strut and Wing before a run. They learned a lot and made some changes. The Mono Strut on 34 worked pretty well.

Dave

After the responses by Doc and Mitch regarding my comment, I think I should clarify and explain my words. I also PM'ed them individually out of respect for each of them.

First and foremost, my comment was not in any way meant as a slam against JFR nor did I intend to show disrespect or insensitivity towards their teams/crews and families.

My point was merely that it's unfortunate that it has taken tragic events to JFR for the NHRA to finally address and acknowledge some safety issues that many teams/drivers/owners/media and fans have been been asking to be looked at especially since the death of Darrell Russell. Up until their #1 star was affected, seems like many opinions and suggestions have fallen on deaf ears or been given a seemingly endless list of excuses as to why some innovative engineering doesn't get approved.

I love NHRA Drag Racing as much as anyone here in its current form. I think we'd all agree that the jaw-dropping performance level achieved under the current specs has proven to expose safety issues over the past few seasons. What's frustrating is that only now after the JFR incidents, are we starting to see major changes. Amazingly, they've had to come as a result of analysis and testing by the team itself rather than the NHRA.

The NHRA should always be a step ahead of the teams when it comes to safety, not the other way around.

I loudly applaud JFR for their efforts and dedication in making this safer for everyone and I apologize to anyone who interpreted my comment as being directed at the team and their efforts.

Big Daddy designed it, and ran it on a few of his later cars, not sure if it weighs more than regular stut designs. Weight is always a factor. It seems interest now is that is gives large advertising space. Also seems less prone to damage from shredding tires, but that has not been tested luckily.

Dennis, I knew that. I tried the sarcasm approach and it obviously didn't work.

(Where's that sarcasm code when you need it?) :)

This is my first look at the Strut or should I call it a Vertical Stabilizer? That is huge! It appears that any cross wind on the track could wreak havoc on the drivers ability to keep the car on the track. With the amount of square foot skin surface, this thing needs a rudder!

Well this clowndown to the so called championship should give plenty of track tim seeing how you only need to be in the top 8 by Indy.
Tony Shoe lost in a bunch of first rounds and still won the championship.

THAT IS COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR. THAT COMMENT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC AT HAND. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER RIDICULOUS ARGUMENT. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MONOSTRUTS, NOT ANOTHER REDUNDANT COUNTDOWN BASHER.

this is the type of stuff i've been talking about. we can't even keep the countdown crap out of a monostrut thread.

THAT IS COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR. THAT COMMENT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC AT HAND. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER RIDICULOUS ARGUMENT. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MONOSTRUTS, NOT ANOTHER REDUNDANT COUNTDOWN BASHER.

this is the type of stuff i've been talking about. we can't even keep the countdown crap out of a monostrut thread.

Completely on-target, Lance...

And regarding the Mono, other than additional real estate for the sponsors, why can't all the C/F panels come off and it just be engineered as a series of struts to eliminate the cross-wind issue (a real concern from what I understand)? :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back