What an emotional Astros season! (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Nitro Member
OK, y'all....I have been to some very emotional games this season.....
Biggio's 3000 hits
Biggio's fan appreciation for said 3000 hits
Bagwell's jersey retirement
AND Biggio's last game EVER

The last of which was today. Wow! I know lots of y'all don't like baseball, but as a fan of the Astros for 27 years....this was a very bittersweet day for me.

I am so greatful for the seasons that Biggio and Bagwell gave us Stros fans! <sigh> Today was the toughest game I've ever attended.

GO CUBS GO! GO CUBS GO!

HEY CHICAGO WHADDYA SAY?

THE CUBS ARE GONNA WIN TODAY!

Oops, sorry Kel.......just got back from an incredible weekend in Cincinnati with the Cubs.

Congrats Drew! I'm so incredibly happy for YOU! Go get 'em......I might actually have to root for the Scrubs! Did I actually say that??!! ;)

There's something else that makes this a very tough season....

October 2nd marks the 23rd anniversary of my stepfather, Don's death. He is the man that taught me about baseball and football. He was a DIEHARD Astros fan and took me to my first game when I was 12 in the spring of 1980. It saddens me that he never got to see Biggio and Bagwell take the field. 2 of the 3 most important Astros (the 3rd being Nolan Ryan) that were the epitomy of franchise players....and he never got to see them play. I go to his grave and tell him of them.....every year. He was in my thoughts during the whole game. Today, I relived my first game in the right field stands. I almost got hit with a homerun ball in the 2nd row because I wasn't paying attention. I've never caught a ball at a game and if I'd had a CLUE (lol) I would have caught one at my very first game. Thank goodness the man in front of me was paying attention! I can still smell the leather of his glove in front of my face.

Thank you Don! If it weren't for you I would never know the strategy of the game and would never have realized what intense love of the sport I could experience!

It definitely wont be the same seeing the Astro's take the field without seeing Biggio dirty #7 out there for sure. For some reason Bags didnt effect me much, I guess b/c he couldnt throw from 1st to 3rd and I knew it was time, but this one did. Great game yesterday too Kelly.

First game in 1980 huh? I remember 1980, I was born that October!!!!! Hope that doesnt make you feel old.

Awe, Kelly............that was a very touching story about Don. It truly is wonderful to have someone to teach us girls about the boys games! My dad and my brothers were good to me so that I would know what the heck they were talking about!

Kelly
At least your not a Seattle Mariners fan. We all have big welts on our foreheads from slapping them in frustration.

OK, y'all....I have been to some very emotional games this season.....
Biggio's 3000 hits
Biggio's fan appreciation for said 3000 hits
Bagwell's jersey retirement
AND Biggio's last game EVER

The last of which was today. Wow! I know lots of y'all don't like baseball, but as a fan of the Astros for 27 years....this was a very bittersweet day for me.

I am so greatful for the seasons that Biggio and Bagwell gave us Stros fans! <sigh> Today was the toughest game I've ever attended.

Kelly...I share your passion for the American pastime...baseball! There's no game that touches more people, from 5 to 85, than does baseball. This is the saddest sports day of the year for me...the day the 'Boys of Summer' clean out their lockers and head home for the long winter. :(

My beloved Cardinals went from the top of the mountain last year to a losing record for the first time in 8 years. It was a terribly dissappointing year, but I'm already looking forward to Spring Training...where hope springs forth with promises of victories and our little guys pretending they're Biggio and Pujols! ;)

There's nothing like it...Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pies and...Brut Dodges! :D

Touching story, Kell.

The B's were what it's all about..role models that did it right.

fixed it for you Drew :p

Mike,

Growing up in the Chicago area, I was raised a Cub fan and as you well know you have to like one or the other up there. However, now living in Indianapolis, I will admit that I was happy for Ozzie Guillen, the Sox and the city of Chicago a couple of years ago even if it was at the expense of Kelly's beloved Astros.

As for my Cubbies, I apply one of the greatest pre-game speeches of all time from the movie "Miracle" (please pardon the liberties)....

"Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we [play] with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest [baseball] team in the world. You were born to be [baseball] players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great [every other baseball team is]. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it."

And Kelly, for what it's worth...I'll miss "pigpen" too. He was a great player and played the game right.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back