Vegas 4 Wide-Densham Q4 Run Thrown Out? (1 Viewer)

The way I understand it, if the driver is under power past the Leahy device on the wall (after the 1320 line), it will shut the car off and deploy the chutes. If not, the driver is in control
Ok, got it now. Last I crewed on a fuel car they did not have the Leahy device yet. Thanks for the info.

I'm amazed at the excuses everyone is making on behalf of Gary Densham. He knew the rules, and he chose to break the rules. If you enter an NHRA event, you agree to abide by their competition and safety rules. He violated a SAFETY rule. If he felt that Steven only needed one parachute, that's not a valid excuse. If a driver thinks that they won't have a fire on the next pass, is it ok to run with empty fire bottles? How about leaving the helmet in the trailer because the chances of crashing aren't too high. There haven't been many FC fires in the last few seasons, so let's make a fire suit optional. Don't like the rules? Don't race. Participation is voluntary..

What about the NHRA personnel who supposedly witnessed what Densham did? If it was such a serious violation, weren't they negligent by letting Densham run? Since they let Densham run, didn't they place Steven in danger? Have they received any form of punishment?

I'm amazed at the excuses everyone is making on behalf of Gary Densham. He knew the rules, and he chose to break the rules. If you enter an NHRA event, you agree to abide by their competition and safety rules. He violated a SAFETY rule. If he felt that Steven only needed one parachute, that's not a valid excuse. If a driver thinks that they won't have a fire on the next pass, is it ok to run with empty fire bottles? How about leaving the helmet in the trailer because the chances of crashing aren't too high. There haven't been many FC fires in the last few seasons, so let's make a fire suit optional. Don't like the rules? Don't race. Participation is voluntary..
This, he knows the rules and did it anyway.If no one had seen it,still a violation.The official is not the point, he is.

what if a chute/s deploy early in a run and are dragged at full power all the way the track? doesn't that put additional strain on the harness system, possibly to the point
of failure and detachment? thus creating a safety situation? if a driver wins while dragging deployed chutes, should their win stand? or be DQ'd because safety equipment
failed to work properly? ....... what about a winning car that deploys chute/s and they fly off, but car still stops safely. win? or DQ?

I think one of the big issues was the use of an Allen wrench. I would think taping it to the parachute could have created an issue if it were to end up unnoticed on the track. I would hate to see the Denshams hanging it up because of a $2500 fine, but if that is the case they were pretty much finished anyway.

The way I understand it, if the driver is under power past the Leahy device on the wall (after the 1320 line), it will shut the car off and deploy the chutes. If not, the driver is in control
Actually the NHRA (leahy built) transponder works on every run regardless whether the car is still under power. The only way to disable it is to shut off the system in the car (usually a toggle switch if a bypass is used, or a switch that disables it on the parachute system) which drivers often do if it smoked the tires early and if the chutes came out, the car wouldn't make it off the track. The majority of the teams also use the Leahy Command Module that is in the car to use a wheel counter and at a certain distance, the throttle can be shut off/ chutes activated/ignition shut off or a combination of either 3 things. The NHRA transponder (usually around 1300' ) is still there as a back up.

Actually the NHRA (leahy built) transponder works on every run regardless whether the car is still under power. The only way to disable it is to shut off the system in the car (usually a toggle switch if a bypass is used, or a switch that disables it on the parachute system) which drivers often do if it smoked the tires early and if the chutes came out, the car wouldn't make it off the track. The majority of the teams also use the Leahy Command Module that is in the car to use a wheel counter and at a certain distance, the throttle can be shut off/ chutes activated/ignition shut off or a combination of either 3 things. The NHRA transponder (usually around 1300' ) is still there as a back up.
Thanks for the correction Jeff!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back