Vegas 1 just isn't even close to Vegas 2! (1 Viewer)

I think much of the fall race interest has a lot to do with the point races boiling down to Pomona...

While not as strong as Vegas2, on TV the crowds looked decent at times, and more than 16 cars in the nitro classes. One thing I have always wondered, why in the world would you not schedule Pomona, to Phoenix, to Vegas? What a perfect winter western swing.

Because that would be considered market saturation. Your drawing customers from the same region in a short amount of time while customers on the other side of the country get nothing. Think about it, 3 of your first 4 races are in Division 7. Areas heavily effected by the economy. A three week lay-off between races kills any momentum NHRA may have built in their season too. I think they should have ran again somewhere in Texas or somewhere in the mid-south before coming back to the Southwest region.

By the looks of it IHRA had a packed house both Friday and Saturday night.

Last edited:
I went to both vegas races last year. I definately liked the fall race better.
Has more of a little importance because it was the 2nd to last race of the year. I have been to the fall race for probably last 7 yrs. I like because you can usually get out of the cold weather in the east. The spring race just didn't have the same feel to it. Just my opinion.

I think I know a little more than some kid 8000 miles away if that's what you mean!!:rolleyes:

Joe,

I was having a joke with you!! As the poster you were quoting wasn't being serious in the sense it would happen, he was merely stating what HE WOULD LIKE TO SEE!! and you jumped straight on him with your "you kidding" "that wont happen" arrogant attitude!! - lighten up!!! Since you're being a typical know it all ass with your comments above, all I can do is laugh and say right on King Nitro!! Just a reminder Joe... I've been going to the track since my birth in 82, and have been following NHRA properly since the late 80s!! I also happen to work (more learning and helping out) on a friends future NFC here in Australia, I've also helped out around TA cars, and fuel bikes. I far from know everything, trust me there is A LOT of things I don't know, but I am pretty switched on - but thanks for the cheap dig!!! You've just proved to me with your comment above that - A: you can't take a joke and B: that you're nothing more than an arrogant piece of ****!!!

I look forward to seeing you at some races this year!

Mike.

Last edited:
Before you guys all go cancelling Vegas 1, remember we may lose Phoenix after next year. I plan on going to Vegas 1 next year-have missed it the last several years due to conflicts with the Final Four. Watching the broadcast I was surprised at how many open seats were in the stands, even while fuel was running.

Would be nice if NHRA would release attendance figures, place wasn't full but it was far from empty on all three days.

Would be nice if NHRA would release attendance figures, place wasn't full but it was far from empty on all three days.

Ever since NHRA started running at Bruton Smith tracks, they no longer announce Attendance figures! Since Bruton Smith tracks are publically held it would be a conflict of interest!

For those that aren't aware, the reason the schedule is the way it is regarding the sequence of early races, a lot if not all of it has to do with NASCAR races in the same areas. NHRA has to avoid butting heads with NASCAR as the pool of racing fans is limited and getting smaller every day. I completely understand NHRA's logic but it goes against common sense for teams that don't have unlimited funds. Look up the Warren Johnson posts for more info. He has more common sense than most and would retire if he didn't love the sport as much as he does. Towing out West for one race and then having to turn right around and tow all the way back East to Charlotte is economic suicide unless you have a BIG sponsor that foots the bill and has a "Win at any cost" attitude since skipping one or more races in a year will quite possibly take you out of any chance of making the top 10 for the Countdown. The options are limited early in the year because of the weather, so southern states, West or East are the only viable places to race until April/May and April can still be iffy. I have nothing against VEGAS having two races a year, just the timing of VEGAS-1. The car counts in the Pro's were still good, but the fan count was low, no matter what anyone wants you to believe. Empty stands during Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock Car does not do much for attracting sponsors, no matter how many people are walking the pits.

Just sayin....

How is that a conflict of interest?

Because it was well known that NHRA used to fudge attendance numbers in the 90's! Since Bruton's tracks are publically held, what would stockholders think if NHRA announced 110,000 for weekend attendance when it was closer to say 85-90,000, all the while NOT seeing it reflected on the stock price!

One thing you have to remember when suggesting a “Western Swing” of Pomona, Phoenix and Las Vegas is their physical proximity. That proximity results in cross-market event promotions. In other words, each of those races is promoted in each market just because they’re close enough for fans to make the trip.

Suggesting two races in Gainesville is also difficult to manage because that’s a “destination race,” i.e., people plan on going to that race along with other stops. For many it’s the race, the Garlits museum and then Disney World. Since the spectator turnout this year was pretty bad, suggesting a second race won’t fly.

Something else previously mentioned and very relevant are other races. Drag racing cannot go up against a Cup race, and there has to be some date separation to make sure people have enough money to go to both.

There’s no “conflict of interest” in announcing spectator attendance, but as a publicly held company Smith can’t afford to fudge the figures, as was done for years by every sanctioning body and was “legitimized” by Goodyear’s post-season compilation of all attendance figures. The problem was Goodyear got that information from the organizations, who were regularly and sometimes outrageously exaggerating.

In Bruton’s situation, if they announced inflated figures some stock holder would be questioning why his stock revenue didn’t reflect those figures.

I watched and listened while two senior NHRA people debated what they should announce for attendance at the second Joliet race. Ultimately they called the crowd 136,500 for the weekend, this after the first year’s attendance was announced as 135,000. The problem was that anyone with a pair of eyeballs and a lick of common sense knew that the first year’s attendance was thousands higher than the second year, but NHRA couldn’t stomach announcing a decrease in numbers.

The Motorplex, during Billy Meyer’s aborted attempt to get the city of Grand Prairie to fund a track for him, announced a crowd of 144,000 for a race, which was embarrassingly exposed as being ridiculous by the Dallas Morning News. The figure was put out there in the hopes that high attendance would push the Grand Prairie politicians towards approving using tax money to build what was ultimately going to be a private facility. It didn’t work.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Suggesting two races in Gainesville is also difficult to manage because that’s a “destination race,” i.e., people plan on going to that race along with other stops. For many it’s the race, the Garlits museum and then Disney World. Since the spectator turnout this year was pretty bad, suggesting a second race won’t fly.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

on sunday ,what i saw was a pretty packed track. sat ,at least on TV looked pretty well attended

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back