USA Today Article (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
On the front page of today's USA Today is a big article about how NASCAR's push for diversity is going slowly, and how important it will be for the future to succeed. Toward the end of the article, it mentions how other series already have more diversity, and talks briefly about the NHRA, Melanie and J.R. Todd. That was nice to see, but I would have much rather seen the whole thing reversed. A huge cover story about how NHRA has been at the forefront of diversity for years, with plenty of stars to talk about, and then have a small mention at the end about how NASCAR is struggling to catch up. But hey, I'm not in charge of their media relations...

I agree Nunzio, but you have to remember to 99% of the Media NHRA and Drag racing don't exist! This article is attempting to pressure Nascar to Force teams to look for minority drivers, no matter how many Minorities Nascar does bring into the fold it won't be enough. It never is...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm proud of the fact that NHRA and Drag Racing is so accessable. From the grass-roots on up to the pro classes. Frankly, it baffles me that NHRA Drag racing isn't more popular (and more attractive to sponsors) than it is.
That said, I find NASCAR's efforts at diversity (or, at least, their public face) to be embarassing. Their ads seem forced and border on pandering.
I think they're trying to do the right thing but, given the sport's roots and the current economics of the sport, they've got a tough sell. :confused:

Kinda off topic... but get ready for yet another onslaught of girlie pictures with race cars...... Some rookie lady, last name Duno, just got her Indy Car license. She's pretty, too. The AP article I saw headlined, "Indy Car Set To Have 3 Women Drivers"..........

Kinda off topic... but get ready for yet another onslaught of girlie pictures with race cars...... Some rookie lady, last name Duno, just got her Indy Car license. She's pretty, too. The AP article I saw headlined, "Indy Car Set To Have 3 Women Drivers"..........

Advertisers and sponsors would like more women so that the wives of all those NASCAR dads would have someone to root for-it's all about the Dead Presidents.

Seems that's the only way to generate any sponsor interest anymore.

does anyone even watch that Indy stuff any more?

does anyone even watch that Indy stuff any more?

Jim I think you'll agree with me that even the IRL's paltry numbers(Ratings) dwarf NHRA's TV ratings. Without the Indy 500 to forcast advertising revenues the IRL is just a shade above what NHRA averages per race.

That would be Milka Duno from Venezuela...sponsored by Citgo...well imagine that. :rolleyes:...it's safe to say I won't be rooting for her.

I agree with you on that one Tony...I won't be backing anyone sponsored by Citgo anytime soon...I am not really fond of dictator owned oil companies that fund hatred of our Country and way of life. :mad:
As to the article in USA Today...at least they did give a bit of mention to the NHRA. Anything is better than being totally ignored, which is what happens most of the time.

Within the past few months USA Today did a big write-up on the NHRA. It appeared to be "sponsored" so it wasn't clear how much was bought and how much was journalistic acknowledgement of our sport.
Just the same, a well-placed letter to the Editor with thanks for the coverage goes a long way. The IRL and ChampCar are in retreat and losing venues, sponsors, and entrants.
Our racing is an acquired taste. We all know that.
Just keep on, keepin' on. We're still growing and expanding.
I rmember the flagmen. What kinda' press do you suppose we got in those days?
Cheers,
ED

Jim I think you'll agree with me that even the IRL's paltry numbers(Ratings) dwarf NHRA's TV ratings. Without the Indy 500 to forcast advertising revenues the IRL is just a shade above what NHRA averages per race.

The last I knew NHRA Drag racing was second only to Nascar in TV ratings. I hope this information did not ruin your day Joe.:mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back