Updated NHRA Oildown Policy (1 Viewer)

The fans come out to see the biggest, baddest, and fastest. If that involves the lazy Safety Safari getting off their dead asses to clean up some oil, too damn bad. Also the NHRA being the home of the one lane race tracts, brought to you by the Safety Safari, does not help bring in fans.

The cost of racing and playing the game just got more expensive!!!!!

Only time will tell how this all shakes out.

Jimbo

and thus endeth the careers of Novelli and Haddock...........

Haddock has done very good the last couple years. Once he started doing 10 races on a 10 race budget instead of doing 20 races on a 10 race budget everything has looked good, and is getting better.

Novelli would be required to run a pan pressure shut off in my book. Morgan Lucas for that matter also. You would swear the Safety Safari was sponsored by Lucas Oil with the amount they were on the track becasue Morgan blew up for the limited races he ran.

Pan pressure shut off systems might cause for more aborted runs at some point on the track, but would almost eliminate non sudden catastrophic (valve train issue, etc) oil downs, and help on the budget for any team.

Last edited:
I feel it is harsh, but you know the NHRA needs a solution and in a trend to make changes to fix things, it needs to be abrupt. Sure it is way harsh, but maybe this is what needs to happen to fix the live attendance and especially further the experimentation of live TV. I agree with it. Speaking of live TV, I do not necessarily agree that although I do love the live shows, teams should not have to be under the enormous 50, 55-60 min constraints for it either. It promotes mistakes, it robs normal repair times if it cannot be routine, yet cannot be the normal although still within 75 mins. Maybe even a flex time consideration under live shows for a team that has issues. When a 55 turnaround can be done ok, but a 75 is needed, the 75 is granted.

Last edited:
at pomona II someone will have a 24 pt. lead for the championship, win the race but oil the track for the 5th time
and lose the championship by 1 pt., as the opponent in 2nd place smokes the tires off the line and coasts thru
for the championship :D

The fans come out to see the biggest, baddest, and fastest. If that involves the lazy Safety Safari getting off their dead asses to clean up some oil, too damn bad. Also the NHRA being the home of the one lane race tracts, brought to you by the Safety Safari, does not help bring in fans.
Attend many events John? Do you consider watching cleanups good value for your dollar?

Hey John ... why don't you get off your lazy ass and sign up to work an event. Then you could see first hand how "easy it is"

Ridiculous, Asinine comment. But that's what you do.

As a friend said:

“Fines are utilized for equipment purchases, personnel training, new technology and support of the NHRA Safety Safari,” Light said.

You can buy several cases of beer for $1,000!!!

at pomona II someone will have a 24 pt. lead for the championship, win the race but oil the track for the 5th time
and lose the championship by 1 pt., as the opponent in 2nd place smokes the tires off the line and coasts thru
for the championship :D
Not true, no points penalties in the Countdown for oil downs. Re-read the announcement.

Attend many events John? Do you consider watching cleanups good value for your dollar?

Hey John ... why don't you get off your lazy ass and sign up to work an event. Then you could see first hand how "easy it is"

Ridiculous, Asinine comment. But that's what you do.
Know what you are talking about before you run off at the mouth. I will put my attendance at National events up against any one. If someone oils the track, to me that just means they are trying to go a little quicker/faster. Do you consider watching a one lane race track good value for your dollar? Yes, you can call me lazy, but I am not the one working like I belong to a union and using any and every excuse to get an event called for the day so I can get to the bar early. My event working days are behind me. Nowhere did I say it was easy, they should not take the job if they don't want to do it. .

Know what you are talking about before you run off at the mouth. I will put my attendance at National events up against any one. If someone oils the track, to me that just means they are trying to go a little quicker/faster. Do you consider watching a one lane race track good value for your dollar? Yes, you can call me lazy, but I am not the one working like I belong to a union and using any and every excuse to get an event called for the day so I can get to the bar early. My event working days are behind me. Nowhere did I say it was easy, they should not take the job if they don't want to do it. .
Proved my point John ... More asinine comments. You're right. It must be a money making conspiracy. Go back to being a Hater.

Even though the sportsman don't have penalties (I'm not dead certain this is true actually)....

Sportsman most certainly do have to abide by the policy which applies to ALL participants at National Events ... See section 2, page 9 of the 2015 NHRA rulebook. As well, this statement appears at the beginning of each category in the rulebook ...

"Any competitor who causes an oildown while participating at an NHRA Mello Yello event will be subject to fines and penalties as outlined in Section 2 - Oildown Penalties."

Jim I was referring to the lack of a penalty table, or absolute policy. What I've seen at National events is where if they determine a sportsman (let's further say non TAD/ non TAFC) oils or deposits liquid on the track, they will tell you that if you do it again that same event you will be fined $500. I know of two instances last year where people in our class received that type of communication.

Here is the rule ....

OILDOWN PENALTIES

Oildowns and, more important, downtime associated with

cleanups affect everyone at an NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing

Series event, including spectators, competitors, sponsors, and

television viewers. With curfews and schedules, oildowns in both

Mello Yello and Sportsman categories have caused in some

cases cancellation of qualifying sessions, early start times, and

very late conclusions to the respective sessions.

In an effort to eliminate downtime due to oil cleanup, penalties

may be in effect at the 24 NHRA Mello Yello national events.

Penalties may be imposed on teams depositing oil on the

racetrack surface during any qualifying and/or elimination round.

Any contestant demonstrating a flagrant disregard or repeated

violation will be subject to disciplinary action as deemed

appropriate by NHRA in its sole and absolute discretion. Such

action may involve monetary fines, denial to participate at

national events, and/or suspension of competition privileges.

The Event Director’s decision is final in determining oildown

violations. There is no provision for review of decisions of the

Event Director, his designee, or other NHRA event officials at

racing events. The reason for this is to ensure that there can be

finality with regard to the events that are run. To provide for an

appeal of all actions or inactions of the Event Director would

result in a delay in the determination of literally every NHRA

national event. Such interminable delays are unacceptable to the

sport, the participants, and the spectators.

My racing dollar has been wasted more on Mother Nature than oildowns.....everyone loves to see the big fire or big bang ('specially the sports news channels) and oil containment has gotten better and could be improved on. Pushing nitro engines to the limit has been the big draw for the NHRA (as long as nobody gets hurt) and this new policy is only going to hurt the little guys/ backmarkers in their pocketbook.

As for my previous comments, yes the teams mentioned are making strides, but anyone who thinks that a nylon wire tie can substitute for a spark plug restraint tie down on a nitro motor should be sent packing (and was, as I recall, for several races)

I am not a fan of financial penalties. It will hurt the smaller teams more.

How about a points system like a driving licence? You have a max of 20? If you rack up say 10, you have to sit out a qualifying session. If you get up to 20, your thrown out of the next event, but your points start from zero?

This will even things up.

Or how about if your a 2 car team, your team mates loose a percentage of their points?

Again, this will help out the smaller teams.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back