Updated NHRA Oildown Policy (1 Viewer)

Quite the change. No more freebees. First one gets a fine and points deduct. And it keeps increasing after that.

Quite the change. No more freebees. First one gets a fine and points deduct. And it keeps increasing after that.

Thats pretty rough,I think its way to steep,but who am I? These things make 10k HP,there will be failure sometimes lol. Might keep the little guys away that dont get a chance to run often,its bad enough if they blow it up then they have to pay NHRA to blow it up.

Last year was brutal as far as oil downs go. Something has to be done. I do like the idea of earning a free one if you have a certain number of clean runs only because things happen out of your control.

I would say after 2 you are mandated to have a pan pressure shut off. If you show a history of being a leaker, you are required to have one too.

Ouch! Running a "what if" . . . you make 4 qualifying runs at each of the races before the countdown starts and average going 2 rounds per race = 108 runs. If you oil down one out of ten rounds, you will lose 275 points! I'll estimate the fines would total about $100K - not very significant for the big boys, but it could really hurt smaller teams who are more prone to oil downs. Apparently the reward for good behavior is no more - harsh!

times that by say 22 teams (just throwing that random number out there and all of a sudden the NHRA has earned themselves 2.2 million dollars.

50,000 spectators tmes 50 bucks in 2.5 million. It is like earning one more national event without any costs the the NHRA.

Not bad.

Who we gonna get to do the year long tabulations.:D:confused:

Dean

Why were penalties only changed for TF and FC? I realize cars in those classes are typically the most likely to go boom but are oildowns by cars in other classes less disruptive?

Why discriminate against the fuel boys ?? An oil down is an oil down. If they are gonna do this, then it should include Alky, P/S, P/Mod, all the way to stock.

I against the penalty both points and money. It's just a way for NHRA top line their pockets at the expense of the racers. The 2015 Champs will likely be decided by fewest oil downs, instead of performance.
Another way to move toward eventually eliminating the fuel classes.

I'm sure the money and points are to make sure you penalize both. The part timers who show up at 5 races a year don't care if they leave with negative points, but if they leave with negative money..... DSR, Kalitta, etc can afford the penalty as part of a write off i'm sure, but when you start taking points away, that's what matters most to them. I hate that they waive the points part of the penalty for the countdown. Make them tiptoe the edge all year long. You for sure won't have any nitro titles locked up before Pomona then, because someone could literally blow it away.

Even though the sportsman don't have penalties (I'm not dead certain this is true actually), trust me at a national event if they think any liquid is coming from your car they are running you down and making you prove it's not your fluid. And it is not always fair if you are not ready to defend yourself. I've had some interesting conversations on the starting line with cars running and some interesting conversations in the pits .... putting the car up on jacks to prove my case. I understand why they are doing this and I think it is even more critical with more live TV this year.

Even though the sportsman don't have penalties (I'm not dead certain this is true actually), trust me at a national event if they think any liquid is coming from your car they are running you down and making you prove it's not your fluid. And it is not always fair if you are not ready to defend yourself. I've had some interesting conversations on the starting line with cars running and some interesting conversations in the pits .... putting the car up on jacks to prove my case. I understand why they are doing this and I think it is even more critical with more live TV this year.
Sportsman most certainly do have to abide by the policy which applies to ALL participants at National Events ... See section 2, page 9 of the 2015 NHRA rulebook. As well, this statement appears at the beginning of each category in the rulebook ...

"Any competitor who causes an oildown while participating at an NHRA Mello Yello event will be subject to fines and penalties as outlined in Section 2 - Oildown Penalties."

Why discriminate against the fuel boys ?? An oil down is an oil down. If they are gonna do this, then it should include Alky, P/S, P/Mod, all the way to stock.

I against the penalty both points and money. It's just a way for NHRA top line their pockets at the expense of the racers. The 2015 Champs will likely be decided by fewest oil downs, instead of performance.
Another way to move toward eventually eliminating the fuel classes.
I knew this thread would get somebody to respond how its a money grab by NHRA. Stop it ... please? That's just ridiculous. Articles all pretty much detail on what the $$ goes to. Better and quicker ways to clean up pretty much.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2015/1320-xvii_1-49.html

Oh, and see the post on who the policy actually applies to. Might want to read the rules before you claim to know them.

Last edited:
Ouch! Running a "what if" . . . you make 4 qualifying runs at each of the races before the countdown starts and average going 2 rounds per race = 108 runs. If you oil down one out of ten rounds, you will lose 275 points! I'll estimate the fines would total about $100K - not very significant for the big boys, but it could really hurt smaller teams who are more prone to oil downs. Apparently the reward for good behavior is no more - harsh!
To all those claiming how much money a team could lose ... stop and think for a minute. Do you think a competitor would ever get the chance to oil the track that many times (Ask Scott Palmer and others)? You will be parked long before you get the opportunity to be that disruptive on a regular basis. Anti-NHRA Maters want to make far more out of this than there really is.

They have to do something to keep the oil downs at a minimum. Saying hey guys, pretty please just isn't going to cut it. There needs to be penalties, points and money seems like the fairest way. As someone mentioned, the part timer could care less about points so it has to be money and the championship chasers will care about both.

I would like to see a freebie or that a freebie can be earned after x amount of clean runs.

On the other side of the coin: the big losers with less oildowns will be the concessions stands. :D

But now I'll get on my soapbox and say look, they are running the cars much harder in the 1,000 foot era to achieve the same mph as in the quarter mile. That's simple physics so no one should be surprised that there's more breakage. There's a simple solution, but NHRA won't take charge and slow the cars down so they don't have to be pushed so hard.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back