Update on PJ's little girl (1 Viewer)

Thanks to Jenn and PJs Dad for keeping us up to date--so glad to hear all is going well! Hang in there PJ! I've got the mojo of the cornfield workin for you!

PJ, hope everything goes well for the little one today, we all are wishing everyone well, hang in there you have all the maters behind you.:D

Well the first leg of our marathon is complete

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and messages that we have received. With the extra baggage I have regarding this type of operation its been harder than it probably should have been. Julianna came through the surgery yesterday just fine. The actual operation took a little longer than normal as the cataract wasn't a normal type seen in kids. (of course my kid couldn't do anything normal lol) But they were able to get it out. She has a new implant lens that they were able to put in. With today's technology the implant has uv protection built into it which will help some with light sensitivity as well as help fight macular degeneration which can be more common after these type of operations. She had to wear the eye patch yesterday and did better than expected. We were worried that she would spend all day and night trying to yank it off but she did pretty good. I taught her what a pirate says so she'd walk around going arrrrrrrr. Now she has to wear the patch to bed. As far as daytime it depends on how she does. If she keeps trying to rub or touch it then we need to keep it on.

The nurses at The University of Michigan Motts Children's hospital are awesome. Kristen and I of course we're quite nervous sitting in the staging area with her. She's wanting to get up and move around and we're trying to keep her calm...or maybe just trying to keep ourselves calm. Her nurse walks in and says nope its a children's hospital, and away her and Julianna go. They start running laps back and forth through this huge room then they grab these big cars out and start pushing them all across the room. It was great for her to be able to play and it also helped us to see her so happy and laughing right then.

We had her first check up this morning and the doctor was very happy with how everything looked. The next eye will be done on June 9th and at that time they will also check into the eye they just did to test for some things. After that she'll need to have bifocals, once she's old enough she can try contacts. I'm not sure how in the world they're going to be to figure out how clearly a two year old can see something. It's not like she can read an eye chart, but I guess that's why the Doctors get paid the big bucks right. :)

Now the goal is to keep her from banging around too much and of course my fear, infection. The incision is only held in my 1 stitch so they don't want her being too rough for a few weeks. She has several eye drops and she does better than many adults do getting those.

Thanks again for all of the support we have truely been touched.

Also thanks to Reporter Jenn for keeping everyone informed:)
And would you look at that it only took an operation to get the return of Big Zappy:D

Well the first leg of our marathon is complete....

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and messages that we have received.....

And would you look at that it only took an operation to get the return of Big Zappy....:D

Great update youse two! Hope we see and hear a lot more of Zappy from now on.

That's good news, PJ.

Those eyes heal quicker than any other body part..so it's all good..she sounds like a trooper to me.

PJ, glad everything went fine buddy. Hopefully the next one will go just as smooth. I'm sure it will.

Justin

I'm not sure how in the world they're going to be to figure out how clearly a two year old can see something. It's not like she can read an eye chart, but I guess that's why the Doctors get paid the big bucks right. :)

PJ the machines they do Eye Exams with now do all the measuring and the old "this or this" trial is just to double check. It's pretty accurate and my last two eye exams the machines were right on. I have even seen the color map of my one eye that has the smallest amount of astigmatism.

I know that many of us, myself included are very happy for her and you! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back