Trying to get the word out, a real problem with a writer at Hemmings Muscle Machine (1 Viewer)

UDRA Big Ender

Nitro Member
I have posted this on a couple of other sites already, and I thought you guys would want to take a look also...

I just recived this month's issue of Hemnmings Muscle Machine, and there was a collumn by Jeff Koch about the '10 Challenger Drag Pak advocating the selling of these vehicles to collectors and taking them out of the hands of the racers who would race them at sanctioned events across the country. He obviously doesn't remember how much the super stock war back in the 60's helped to sell AMERICAN made automobiles. With Ford and GM also building race versions of their pony cars, we could be on the cusp on a rebirth of the same style of racing and intrest in drag racing now. I understand this would be difficult, but with all three building them again, and Dodge and Ford selling turnkey racers, you can't deny theres a slim chance of this happening.
The last line in his article says EVERYTHING about his character. "Our question: Who will be the brave one to keep one of these in a climate-controlled warehouse for 20 years to see how the market plays out?"
It says his only concern is the MONEY, not the sport, not the friends you meet, not the competition, not even the old adage "What wins on Sunday sells on Monday", so it doesn't even look like he cares about the ones in Detroit..... It's all about the MONEY....

Truly sad and pathetic..

I called Hemmings and actually talked to one of their editors, and they actually placed the blame on Dodge for not forcing the buyers to sign the competition agreement. Last year I went up to Roush's to pick up the second one built with a friend of mine, and I just can't see these cars sitting in a garage instead of running on the track. I used to be subscriber to Hemmings Motor News for well over 10 years, and over 5 years to their Muscle Machine magazine. I would really recommend that everyone who has a subscription to cancell it. This whole hobby and sport is bigger than people with this kind of attitude, and they need to know it.

I really think the more people who contact them, and let them know the sport is more important than what a car MIGHT be worth.

Re: Trying to get the word out, a real problem with a writer at Hemmings Muscle Machi

Can you provide a link to the article so people can read the entire entry, not just a snip which supports your opinion. That would be fair don't ya think?

And, the NHRA section might not be the best place to discuss this.... LOUNGE BOUND....

Re: Trying to get the word out, a real problem with a writer at Hemmings Muscle Machi

Can you provide a link to the article so people can read the entire entry, not just a snip which supports your opinion. That would be fair don't ya think?

And, the NHRA section might not be the best place to discuss this.... LOUNGE BOUND....

It was written by Jeff Koch as an editorial in the most recent issue of the magazine, I'm not sure if the article is online. I'll look and see if I can find it online, if I do, I'll post the link and you can move this to the lounge. .... I just thought this might have an impact, no matter how small, on the current super stock classes.....

It was written by Jeff Koch as an editorial in the most recent issue of the magazine, I'm not sure if the article is online. I'll look and see if I can find it online, if I do, I'll post the link and you can move this to the lounge. .... I just thought this might have an impact, no matter how small, on the current super stock classes.....

I think those who would run these cars in A/Stock Automatic (if I am correct this is the designation for these cars) want to, they will. I'm not sure Koch will convince enough people to "SHELF THEM". I know if I could afford one, I'll buy one...and race it. :cool:

All I see, is a writer in a magazine with an opinion. I would like to own one of them, for sure. At 40k, it's not like it's in a stratospheric, unobtainable price range.

If I owned one, I'd race it too, but I'm sure that a few will see their way into a collectors hand. If they pay their money, they bought the right to use it as they would.

Besides, Hemmings IS essentially a collectors publication, not Hot Rod, or ND. So I'm not too surprised at the editorial.

REX

I I would really recommend that everyone who has a subscription to cancell it. This whole hobby and sport is bigger than people with this kind of attitude, and they need to know it.

So...we should cancel our subscriptions because a writer hurt your feelings by telling the truth ??
There will be a LOT more DP's & CJ's sitting in collector's garages than will ever hit the track. The CJ's have been out for over a year,there were a few raced at the start. Now there are few actually being raced ! I think only ONE is entered at Las Vegas... The rest are waiting for a Barret-Jackson Auction off in the future ! :D

There's no way to stop this. The collector market for "race only" production cars has been strong and proven to be a good investment. Gone are the days of limited-production cars that were raced. The reason is simple- there's a lot more money out there now. People see these "decanter cars" as an investment, and they have the clout to buy these cars [and store them in a warehouse].

If the big three were serous about racing these cars they would put together some "factory deals". But there isn't enough advertisement in drag racing anymore. As I mentioned earlier, these cars are built for for collectors.

I have a friend that is serous about collecting older muscle cars. I have been lucky enough to have taken some of his cars out for a stroll in the country. There's nothing like hitting the loud pedal on a Hemi Cuda, Boss 429, or a 62 1/2 Ford Lightweight [and he still won't tell me how much that aluminum front bumper cost him].

Waving Hand Frantically ! Me Too ! :D

I gotta get one for my Dad first... actually... I think he'd rather have one of those BAD A$$ GB3 Hemi's ....

I just think i'd be *****in to race Big Daddy, Roy Johnson, Jeg Coughlin Sr. (I think his boy bought him one) in class eliminations at INDY.... THAT'D BE WICKED COOL!

This is an old issue with the collector groups, street rodders, etc. vs. racers. Allot of individuals use the "don't sell it to those racers they'll just ruin the cars/parts" theme to acquire stuff. Theirs allot of folks out their eager to play the role of preservationist for advantage. Some for legitimate preservation, some for their own benefit, and some as a con. I seen about all of it, and on many occasions it’s a bunch of jive. Just look out for the following lies :rolleyes::

1."Oh, if I don't get this part I can't finish my car, I'm so poor. It's been my dream, and I want to save history for others to see, I want to be an automotive historian". Then the next thing you know he's running the stuff down the track in his newly lettered car at the next big nostalgia meet, and showing it off to his friends", or the always popular,

2. "Oh, don't give to that racer he's going to just waste the parts, so why don't you give me a deal on it because I'm going to take care of it for our future youth to enjoy". The next thing you he's at the swap meet with the car or parts marked up 100-200% for sale. Lastly, the truly nostalgic con of,

3. "Oh, don't give it to him he's not ready to run and the parts will go to waste just sitting around, that's why you need to give them to me so I can preserve and run them, and let everyone know how cool you are, and that I recommend you." Then the con gets the parts blows them up, and the guy who really wasn't ready to run was actually ready to run good, and couldn't because he got sheisted out of the parts he needed to run.

Bottom line it’s a free market economy if you own the car or parts run it! If you've got the bucks to buy the factory race car and store it do it, or do both the smart thing lately. Buy it, run it (hopefully with success), get a documented history on it, then store it.

Just some insight and thoughts;)

Last edited:

This is why a 69 copo camaro with a ZL1 that cost aprox 6 grand is now worth about 300 grand. Low production numbers and built for the track.

I have posted this on a couple of other sites already, and I thought you guys would want to take a look also...

I just received this month's issue of Hemming's Muscle Machines, and there was a column by Jeff Koch about the '10 Challenger Drag Pak advocating the selling of these vehicles to collectors and taking them out of the hands of the racers who would race them at sanctioned events across the country.......(snip)

I don't know Don. I've got that very issue right here in front of me, and for the life of me, I don't see where you get that. Are we both reading the same one, at the top of page 10???
:confused:

I'm not going to copy anything from the article and post it here because it's copyrighted, but he's giving props to Chrysler for making the car in the first place, and commends the fact it's been stripped down. He also (rightly) mentions the fact that due to the low production numbers, these cars may become collectible in a hurry, and I think his observation is correct. He tells you how to order one, and where you'll need to pick it up from. Perhaps your take on this comes from the last sentence, (Which you quote.) where he openly wonders who's gonna be brave enough to buy one and pickle it for 20 years to see how it pays off. And to me, that's the tone of it, open speculation, not YOU GOTTA BUY ONE BECAUSE WE GOTTA KEEP THESE OUT OF THOSE RACING BUTCHER'S HANDS!!!!! I think you're reading a LOT more into this than is there, and probably have the Hemmings editors going "whaaaaa??????":confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Dodge only selling these cars to established race teams? As least that's what I read last time....

Hemmings Muscle Machines is a magazine for collectors, not racers, so it is not surprising that its writers would have a collector's point of view.

Jim

Hey Samuel...Yeah you! Get over in the corner now! Line up next to that Virgil character, Reinhart, and Newman.:eek:

Using common sense and intelligent replies has absolutely no place on an interent message board young man. What in the hell were you thinking?:confused:

THREADKILLER! Nice. Real nice.:p

Here's the simple bottom line:

Collectors will hold on to a car for decades if they can, but that presupposes that the individual had the money to buy the car in the first place. If a buyer has the wherewithal to do that, who the heck are we to say he shouldn't?

On the other side is the serious racer who will sell his soul to buy a car that may have significant value as a collector vehicle, only to go out and thrash it into his version of that race car. If a racer has the wherewithal to do that, who the heck are we to say he shouldn't?

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
Competitionpolus.com

You too Mr. Asher in the corner with the lot of em. ;)

(Good to see you btw)

As a matter of fact, the very same issue has some neat pictures from prior Winternationals in it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back