Tough questions by Gerould and Reif (1 Viewer)

merc49

Nitro Member
I hated when Gary Gerould asked Ashley Force what she would say to Eric if he were there right now. I felt so sad for Ashley when she broke down. But she's surely a trooper, she took a moment. composed herself and answered very nicely. She's one sweet lady, a true pro, and her daddy's girl, for sure. As a father to my own daughter, I'm very proud of Ashley.

I laughed out loud when Dave Reif asked Connie Kalitta how much impact Rahn Tobler's leaving had on the team. The answer, "NONE!" was so predictable, and so Connie.

And to Paul Page, you seem to be getting it. Now relax.

i thought it was a very crappy question to ask on the air. I'm sure they knew what John and Ashley's response and reaction would be and yet they allowed the camera to soaked it all up getting the dramatic effect they were looking for. I found that to be totally unnecessary and i had to turn away.

i thought it was a very crappy question to ask on the air. I'm sure they knew what John and Ashley's response and reaction would be and yet they allowed the camera to soaked it all up getting the dramatic effect they were looking for. I found that to be totally unnecessary and i had to turn away.

I felt the same way at first James. That's why I slept on it before I started this thread. In the end I feel it gave Ashley and John a chance to say something they may have been trying to find the right words for all along. Their replies were wonderful. yes, it was difficult to watch, but I'm glad I did.

The bits with John Medlen were difficult too. He struggled a bit, but you could tell he wanted to talk, wanted to show us the new safety improvements. I think the whole thing was therapeutic for all of them, and us too.

10 to 1 says they knew the question was coming. Even then, it is still hard to answer. Dave, Mike and Gary wouldn't go in there without letting them know what they are going to ask. Yeah maybe at the top end or as in the Connie K situation they just popped a question, but not in a taped interview of that magnitude. Those guys are family just like all the other teams and I'm sure they worked it out so John and Ashley knew what was coming.

I did as well...I thought they were asked those questions in that manner for "better TV"...I mean I thought that was a pretty harsh question to ask them both. I don't remember those types of questions asked of Amato or Dupuey right after Darrell died....the questions they were asked were more respectful and not just trying to get a rise out of them.

Anyway, just my opinion. Maybe they weren't as bad as I thought?

Terry

While I was watching it, I didn't like it one little bit. I felt the question was purposely asked to get John and Ashley to break down on camera. If they were told in advance it was coming, that's obviously different. Especially with Ashley, it seemed the camera was on for an eternity. I found myself saying to the tv, "Enough, already!"

O.K. first of all, it was not Gerry Gerould who asked Ashley the question... It was Dave Rieff... I might point out that Mike Dunn asked the same exact question of John Force... I am going to attach a link to my post on another thread about this, only BC I don't want to retype it... click here>- http://www.nitromater.com/59643-post17.html

10 to 1 says they knew the question was coming. Even then, it is still hard to answer. Dave, Mike and Gary wouldn't go in there without letting them know what they are going to ask. Yeah maybe at the top end or as in the Connie K situation they just popped a question, but not in a taped interview of that magnitude. Those guys are family just like all the other teams and I'm sure they worked it out so John and Ashley knew what was coming.

BINGO! We have a winner. I felt uncomfortable with the questions also but you know darn well they knew the tough questions were coming. I have worked in the entertainment industry for many years and folks being interviewed are usually prepped. They also, more often than not, dictate to the interviewer beforehand what is "out of bounds". NHRA and ESPN are not going to put something on the air that the Forces absolutely do not want broadcast. That being said, it was still extremely painful for me to watch.

Ashley said it in a different interview.... "we all want to talk about Eric. " She wasn't as emotional in that one. Being asked what you would say if you had another chance, evokes deep emotions in most people. I felt pride in that girl when she got herself together and finished the interview. They could have cut that out, if it was not ok with her to broadcast. I don't believe for one second that anyone in racing would be so cold as to do it without their permission.

Talking, when ready, is the best healing for people who are suffering such pain and grief over the loss of a loved one. Ashley, her dad, John Medlen and all their crew, family and friends were ready. They came to race. They came prepared (as prepared as one can be in these circumstances) for things people would say and perhaps ask.

I thought bringing Eric's rig out and setting it up was also a great thing to do. How difficult it must have been for the teams to do that. They did it for healing for themselves, as well as the fans. Pretty selfless in my opinion.

Not knowing any of the players personally, I still believe that Eric is telling them to not be so sad. He's ok. He made his decison about eternity a few years ago, and he IS ok. I also believe that is what gave his dad the grace to do an interview, pointing out the changes in the cockpit that have been made because of Eric's death. He knows he'll see his son again.

I am not a fan of multicar teams. However, I cannot begin to tell you of the respect and high esteem I have for all of the JFR people. I'm sure their positive energy is enabling many others to move forward from this tragic accident. God Bless them all!

Last edited:
I didn't catch it the first time but when they aired the interview with Ashley during eliminations I heard Dave ask her quietly if she wanted to skip the question.

Even "Mr. Business" Kenny Bernstein had a problem keeping his emotions from affecting him when interviewed right after Brandon's win. Or maybe it was just me, I was kind of teary after Hight's and Brandon's top-end interviews. It was an emotional weekend for the fuel teams and a great finish for all of us.

I didn't catch it the first time but when they aired the interview with Ashley during eliminations I heard Dave ask her quietly if she wanted to skip the question.

I heard that too...It was an emotional weekend for sure, but i mean if Ashley didnt want that camera to see her cry she would have said "turn it off" or even asked them not to put it on air. I dont think it was wrong from them to ask the question, but when i saw it again today i thought it was too much. 1 time during the weekend would have been fine, but to replay it again today?! Come on.....

Last edited:
Steve... Tonight was the First time I heard the question or the answers to Dave and Ashley or Dunn and Papa John... Yeah, I had the TV on last night for Qualifying, but Without Sound... Was a little busy...

Think tonight was the first time a lot of people saw and heard a lot that was covered... after all, how many people watch qualifying, except us die-hard fans.

I was hoping that the healing part would move past the crying (and I'm not ashamed to say that).

But obviously..that wasn't the case. The way John/Ashley and all answered the questions..I figured it was semi scripted..but how do you script that? Man..I lost it..felt like a little kid with my head in my hands..weeping!! Bernie for cryin out loud..had me shaky! The unchained emotion hurts me.

Don't get me wrong..I'm nothing but a die hard fan..but to hear these people speak that are actually living it..my God they are amazing..and it isn't scripted TV..it's pure and simple emotions.

John Medlen..bless you. What a pillar of strength..his job is his distraction.

I could go through the whole interviews but I'm not going to.

I'm just happy to be a small part of all this thing we call drag racing.

Yeah, me too. Didn't hear it the first time. But there a couple of quiet responses being spoken 2nd time. Couldn't catch all of them though.

It would have been very easy, and understandable, for her to conclude the interview at this point. This kid is something else.

Ashley completely blew me away with her poise. The emotion that all of Eric's friends and family had to work thru this weekend was just incredible.
You think maybe Eric was loved a little bit?

Much of this was hard to watch, but ignoring it won't make it go away. I think it's important for it to be talked about , for them and for us .
Hard questions yes but I think ESPN handled it well.

oh and what a race by the way........

I also find it amazing that these folks feel secure and comfortable with themselves, to allow us to view them in this highly emotional state.

Crying is as much a part of life as laughing is. When I used to feel uncomfortable in the presence of someone who was crying or in any way, emotional, I learned that it was because of my own insecurity in allowing my emotions to be viewed by others. Holding all of that in for so many years, led to an emotional breakdown which caused me losing everything in my life that made it worth living. While what was lost was never recovered, the good news is that I wouldn't trade who I am today. for who I was back then, for anything.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back