Tony Shoe on the New Points System (1 Viewer)

Rajunz

Nitro Member
NHRA Story » NHRA Countdown teleconfernce transcript:Antron Brown and Tony Schumacher

QUOTE:Q: Tony, concerning new points, new qualifying for points, does it favor certain kind of teams or drivers or is it equal across the board?

Schumacher:
That's a good question. Probably different in each class. In Top Fuel, I would say it's fairly equal, and I'll tell you why. There are so many cars running within hundredths of a second. Maybe six or seven cars, and it's no longer that one car going fast and everyone else just trying to figure it out. There are a numerous amount of cars just running similar.

So it's going to be about, even at the back of the pack, at each run, to be able to know what you've got to do and go out there and just try to sneak that quick run in each and every time for those points. And I think the points will matter. I think Top Fuel is going to come down to just a massive battle at the end.
I kind of wish they did one more thing. I kind of wish that on race day, low e.t. of each round got points. You know what, Funny Car would be fun to watch, the guys that stuff the car in real deep would be giving up points every time they do it [inaudible] where Top Fuel most of the drivers, fairly thin; some don't. But I would like to see that. I would like to see where it's down to the battle and a race where you got a couple extra bonus points and you could even get beat and get points. It would be kind of neat to see.

Overall, it's surprising that they came out with it right now where they have to get used to it with six races to go, but I'm OK with it. I think we are one of the cars. Antron has one of the cars, Dixon has one of the cars; we are all going to benefit from that at some point during the season. It's a matter of who can do it four times in each weekend in qualifying and can really add up the points quickly.

............................it's definitely something that Dean Antonelli can capitalize on!
Ashley Force...............................2009 NHRA Funny Car Champion!:D

Why does NHRA feel they need to change the rules in the middle of the game?

What will this accomplish? They want to spice it up, this won't do anything but cause more problems and in hindsight we going to look back and say, who would be World Champ if that new rule wasn't in effect. I think the Countdown, the 12 qualifers rule, and now this new qualifying point system can all go in the garbage.

NHRA, if you want to increase attendance and get peoples attention that pay at the gate, don't mess with the racers and their rules, figure out how to pack the stands with hard working americans in a rough economy. Spending $500 I don't have to go to a national event won't look any better because the #1 qualifier gets bonus points. I going to stay home because it cost more than I have to spend no matter when rule changes they make.

Why is common sense not so common anymore????

Tony

Thank you!!!

why does nhra feel they need to change the rules in the middle of the game?

What will this accomplish? They want to spice it up, this won't do anything but cause more problems and in hindsight we going to look back and say, who would be world champ if that new rule wasn't in effect. I think the countdown, the 12 qualifers rule, and now this new qualifying point system can all go in the garbage.

Nhra, if you want to increase attendance and get peoples attention that pay at the gate, don't mess with the racers and their rules, figure out how to pack the stands with hard working americans in a rough economy. Spending $500 i don't have to go to a national event won't look any better because the #1 qualifier gets bonus points. I going to stay home because it cost more than i have to spend no matter when rule changes they make.

Why is common sense not so common anymore????

Tony

Why does NHRA feel they need to change the rules in the middle of the game?

This strikes me as just amateurish and embarrassing for the sport. But it is consistent with NHRA's effort to draw attention by putting on a dog and pony show. My reaction is right in line with what Vandergriff had to say about the 4-wide exhibition at ZMax: “I think it demeans the competitive side of our sport. I don't agree with it. I am just curious, after we do this, are we going to have to drive through a ring of fire to draw attention. Is that the next step? I think it gimmicky and demeaning to the competition side of our sport.”

Is this what the NHRA is coming to?
thumbnail.aspx.jpeg

c'mon guys, you know they are doing for safety and to help save the team's some money..............:eek:

Ya know with the whole Tped/Jforce love fest we really didn't get into the points deal. Maybe NHRA staged the whole thing to divert attention.

What other sport changes points scoring mid season?????

I have wanted a change in qualifying points for awhile now, not like this, but if started at the beginning of a season then that would be fine.

On the plus side it means even they realize the countdown isn't working. They have made changes to it each season and still it doesn't have the sizzle they had hoped for. If anything its chased people away.
I still await the day when the betterment of our sport is put before ego's of people afraid to admit error.

Lets see we have drivers accused of diving and a sanctioning body decides to change scoring mid season.......really makes ya want to get invloved in this sport doesn't it.

Can you imagine the week of the NFL palyoffs Goodell Announcing that TD passes will now be worth 5 points, unless its the 4th quarter then they are worth 8?

You don't change points midseason...of course you don't take away the intergrity of the championship either but....

I would have hoped the drivers would have said more...but I guess after seeing them all roll over for the countdown, despite the many behind the scenes complaints, they pretty much gave nhra their permission to drive over them whenever they please

What's next- NHRA's version of an IHRA Saturday Night of Fire- Starring; Benny the Bomb, the Cool Bus and The Jet Outhouse!!! Poor Wally Parks is doing Barrel Rolls in his grave right about now!!!:eek:

I'm truely embarrased to call myself a drag racer at times....at least I don't run any NHRA events. It's just a shame I have to pay those a-holes for a license....

Not to worry.... I hear next year they are coming out with a new class....BPS Bracket Pro Stock... Yup the Pro Stock Cars cam dial in their ET on the window.. just like us little guys...

Now that will make it fun.. :) I hope it go to FC & TF also can you imagine the excitement of TF with a Dial on the side.. or John and Ashley arguing about if She should hold .03 or dial HARD :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back