Tony Pedregon vs Mike Neff (rnd 1) : Did Tony get screwed? (1 Viewer)

I always thought of the center line as the edge of a cliff. It's dangerous but okay to dance on the edge, just make sure you don't find yourself on the other side of it!

It's not a rule that's worked for over 50 years for one.
Actually, it HAS worked for 50 years and it started out with tracks having a single centerline stripe, the rules are now supplemented for multiple lines.
It's also not a non incident because as in the nfl reviews, your now relying on 1 call that cannot to challenged.
Difference from NFL to NHRA, NFL makes a ruling DURING the play, NHRA reviews the tire marks AFTER the run and by more than a singular official.
Why not avoid this practice all together and change the rule all together.
Why change a rule just to satisfy "fans" who don't know or don't understand the rule?

I love ALL the rules that actually GET changed because of multi-paged threads on NitroMater... :rolleyes:

Someone should collect up all the ways that NHRA drag racing should be changed posted here over the years and write a new rule book, then try and put on ONE race....

Wait wait wait ... you want us to get out from behind the keyboard and actually do something? That sounds exhausting. :D

Not a bad idea, but how would you compensate for a track surface that's 2 feet higher than the starting line at 660', for example, then dips to 3 feet lower than the starting line at the stripe?
You could have a laser that moves rapidly back and forth in the vertical plane that would cover a wide range of height. I'm sure you've seen something similar at a laser light show. The trick would be the detector on the other end, but since it's only a maximum of a few feet it shouldn't be too difficult. Think of something similar to punch press safety curtain lights, only with a laser.

lightcurtain2.jpg

Debris being blown across the track could break the beams and give false readings.
If something tripped the beam and it wasn't either car crossing the center line then it should be blatantly obvious it was debris. The light would only be used to make a decision in a situation like Neff when you know he's damn close to the line but don't know if he went over or not.

Last edited:
If something tripped the beam and it wasn't either car crossing the center line then it should be blatantly obvious it was debris. The light would only be used to make a decision in a situation like Neff when you know he's damn close to the line but don't know if he went over or not.

So you want to invest time and money into a system that risks false readings and bogus results to prevent a situation that presents itself once every 5-10 years?

So you want to invest time and money into a system that risks false readings and bogus results to prevent a situation that presents itself once every 5-10 years?
How would it be a false reading or bogus result? If somebody's on the line and you don't know if they crossed it then you look at the info from the beam and see if it got tripped. The light wouldn't be making any decisions, a human would after looking to see it the light got broken. Example: 3 seconds into the run somebody is on the line but they're not sure if they went over. Simply look at the data from the light to see if it got broken right around 3 seconds into the run. Seems pretty damn simple to me.

How would it be a false reading or bogus result? If somebody's on the line and you don't know if they crossed it then you look at the info from the beam and see if it got tripped. The light wouldn't be making any decisions, a human would after looking to see it the light got broken. Example: 3 seconds into the run somebody is on the line but they're not sure if they went over. Simply look at the data from the light to see if it got broken right around 3 seconds into the run. Seems pretty damn simple to me.

Easy. Let's say 3 seconds into the run someone gets really close to the center line. By all photographic and video accounts the car never crossed or touched the line, and the tire marks clearly never reach the line but the "system" goes off anyway. Let's say it was the shroud lines of the parachute that set the system off. You still DQ the run?

Easy. Let's say 3 seconds into the run someone gets really close to the center line. By all photographic and video accounts the car never crossed or touched the line, and the tire marks clearly never reach the line but the "system" goes off anyway. Let's say it was the shroud lines of the parachute that set the system off. You still DQ the run?

No, why would you if the car clearly didn't cross the line? Again, the light isn't deciding anything, it's only a backup. In a case like Neff's it be would be pretty clear cut: Right on the line at 2.7 seconds into the run. No chutes out? Beam was broken at 2.7 seconds? Then he crossed the line.

I love ALL the rules that actually GET changed because of multi-paged threads on NitroMater... :rolleyes:

Someone should collect up all the ways that NHRA drag racing should be changed posted here over the years and write a new rule book, then try and put on ONE race....

Martini,
IMHO, that rule book would contradict itself about every other page. I seem to recall running at 'tracks' where there was no center line, back in the 'dark ages'... but old timers has set in... Oh yeah, we're talking The Big SHOW here, not match racing in the 'good old days'

d'kid

ROTFLMAO!!!
Nominated for post of the year!!!
Thanks Martin!!!
:D :cool: :D

No, why would you if the car clearly didn't cross the line? Again, the light isn't deciding anything, it's only a backup. In a case like Neff's it be would be pretty clear cut: Right on the line at 2.7 seconds into the run. No chutes out? Beam was broken at 2.7 seconds? Then he crossed the line.

I didn't say the car clearly did not cross the line, I said the tire marks, similar to what we saw with Neff. This is kind of my point. Why waste time and money on a system that does nothing but increase the potential for more controversy, especially if you are just going to depend on the human element for the primary decision anyways?

You could have a laser that moves rapidly back and forth in the vertical plane that would cover a wide range of height. I'm sure you've seen something similar at a laser light show. The trick would be the detector on the other end, but since it's only a maximum of a few feet it shouldn't be too difficult. Think of something similar to punch press safety curtain lights, only with a laser.

lightcurtain2.jpg

The dog COULD catch the rabbit, IF he doesn't stop to take a ****.

JFR rules!

I didn't say the car clearly did not cross the line, I said the tire marks, similar to what we saw with Neff. This is kind of my point.
That's a reason the rule should be changed, if you can be DQ'd for taking out a cone with the bodywork or the header but the tire never actually crossed the line then why should the tire be the determining point the rest of the time? :confused: Make it simple and uniform: if anything (tire, body, header) goes over the line then it should be a DQ. If the rule was this way then a beam like I'm talking about would be dead simple and accurate.

That's a reason the rule should be changed, if you can be DQ'd for taking out a cone with the bodywork or the header but the tire never actually crossed the line then why should the tire be the determining point the rest of the time? :confused: Make it simple and uniform: if anything (tire, body, header) goes over the line then it should be a DQ. If the rule was this way then a beam like I'm talking about would be dead simple and accurate.

Just put a wall down the center of the track like between lanes 2 and 3 at Charlotte... no more crossing the center line problem:rolleyes:

d'kid

Q

lightcurtain2.jpg

Funny stuff right there folks.

Neff broke no rule, but lets come up with some Buzzz Lightyear technology to make sure that if NHRA decides to change the rule, they can.

Give it up. Neff was not, and should not, have been DQ'd.

Just like the drug testing rule that can't be any more clear, yet you wanted that changed too, right Patrick. And with your proposed rule that nothing can cross or touch the line....there's no way that would result in racers challenging whether someone did or did not cross or touch the line, would it? it would be clear as day....NOT!!! :confused:

it would be as clear as day and never be challenged as it would now be "your tire touched the white line" instead of the current "your tire was on the white line but we think it stayed on your end"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back