Tony Pedregon vs Mike Neff (rnd 1) : Did Tony get screwed? (1 Viewer)

Funny thing, if this had happened between two Force cars, or two Schumacher cars, or between the Pedregon brothers, nothing would have been said. The tire mark DID NOT CROSS the painted line, case closed.

It's called crossing the center line, not touching the center line. Why is that hard to understand?

Not hard to understand, hard to determine.

I'm not arguing for one way or the other. I'm not arguing TPed vs. JFR. I'm not arguing squat. I merely pointed out that it seems like a touch of the center line would be easier to see and rule on than crossing it "completely". Period. Nothing more.

I don't see anything about the wall. ;) I think it would hard to cross a line on the outside of the lane since the header would drag the wall before a tire could get across a line. :p

OK, then:

Registered member said:
Contact with guardwall, barriers, or any other track fixture (rubber cones, when used, are considered visual aids, not fixtures) is grounds for disqualification and/or other actions.

I merely pointed out that it seems like a touch of the center line would be easier to see and rule on than crossing it "completely". Period. Nothing more.

Don't know that it would make that much difference, Chris. Your way, they'd look to see if the tire mark crossed the left edge of the stripe. The current way, they'd look to see if the tire mark crossed the right edge. Either way is equally easy to determine.

What's throwing everyone off is the contact patch vs. the actual width of the tire, like Bullard was saying. There's no doubt that the tire was completely over the line - just not the part that was touching the pavement. And that's what they go by.

ok this could quickly turn in to a t.ped/force racing war and I for one am just saying I am a fan of the funny cars. I agree with Tony how the NHRA may be correct but the rule does need to be revisited. If you take out a timing cone your out but not if your on the line.

Make the rule where nothing can cross any white line. Make it where you hit the cone your out, you touch the line your out so it all matches and no NFL type of review needs to happen cause I guarantee you there's 3 million force bashers and 6 million Tony bashers out there somewhere and they need to make the rule that can avoid this. I must say I find it hard to see how so much of the car is over the line and the tire still be inside the white, but I leave it to NHRA, but fix that rule Mr. Light

Yes, yes, by all means, change a rule that is already clear and easy to define. It's only worked for over 50 years so let's switch it up now over this non-incident.

And so your new rule will mean that when a pilot chute crosses the centerline prior to the finish line, you'd be out. Blower belt comes off and goes over, you're out.

I guess it makes as much sense as the new staging lights and the qualifying rules. Did they ever fully address the wheel stud issue?

Why not aim a laser down the center of the track at a detector on the far end? If anything breaks the beam it should be pretty simple to determine who/what caused it. No trying to "read" tire marks on a chewed up white line.

Why not aim a laser down the center of the track at a detector on the far end? If anything breaks the beam it should be pretty simple to determine who/what caused it. No trying to "read" tire marks on a chewed up white line.

More unnecessary technology- looks like a tire HIT the centerline- did not break the rule by CROSSING the centerline

Sweeney is right- change a working rule?... Come on folks- how about we just do it all on XBox?... :rolleyes:

No way . . . that would make too much sense! :D

I checked the mater to see if there would be a thread started about this subject and I'm glad to know it didn't disappoint!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am MORE surprised there isn't the obligatory Team Summit thread after Greg Anderson almost burned his car down after round one. Their top end flames have been cannon fodder here before since "no other cars do it" ...

Why not aim a laser down the center of the track at a detector on the far end?

Not a bad idea, but how would you compensate for a track surface that's 2 feet higher than the starting line at 660', for example, then dips to 3 feet lower than the starting line at the stripe?

I don't remember who posted this photo before, but it's worth re-posting again!
Tony20Pedregons20New20Sponsor0.jpg

While you guys are at it, howz 'bout putting a cable straight down each lane and hook each car to it?!

Milk toast...jeez.

Debris being blown across the track could break the beams and give false readings.

The only thing this incident brings to light is the fact that (if I understand it) you can take out a timing cone and be disqualified - while the tires still do not cross the line. If the rules don't address it one can argue that you shouldn't be disqualified if you take out a cone AND your tires didn't cross.

If the rules are written to mention "a tire crossing the line -OR- taking out a timing cone will result in a DQ" then it's pretty clear cut. Neff did neither and shouldn't be DQ'd

If that's the case Id imagine that's the best you can write it because you cant prove the body crossed the line without lasers.

What I wonder is what happens if (one in a million) two cars tag eachother, but nobody's tire cross the line, and no one takes out a cone? Who's at fault? They would tag simultaneously so there's no "first or worst" rule.

For my info, what if a piece of car breaks off and strikes a cone, or other car, are they DQ'd? Is there a size threshold for parts coming off the car?

Yes, yes, by all means, change a rule that is already clear and easy to define. It's only worked for over 50 years so let's switch it up now over this non-incident.

And so your new rule will mean that when a pilot chute crosses the centerline prior to the finish line, you'd be out. Blower belt comes off and goes over, you're out.

I guess it makes as much sense as the new staging lights and the qualifying rules. Did they ever fully address the wheel stud issue?

alright Bill i can see your point that you think everybody's beating a dead horse, but if the horse is that dead to you just walk away and let us still poke it if we want to. It's not a rule that's worked for over 50 years for one. It's also not a non incident because as in the nfl reviews, your now relying on 1 call that cannot to challenged.

Why not avoid this practice all together and change the rule all together. Nothing can cross or touch the line period. Let's not be silly with the blower belt deal. If you make it that kind of rule there would never have to even be this whole discussion and it may actually save you all the sweat from typing all the sarcasm to begin with. What the NHRA needs more of are rules that are CLEAR and not just lightly danced around in the rulebook, Don't write a rulebook that can raise questions.

What the NHRA needs more of are rules that are CLEAR and not just lightly danced around in the rulebook, Don't write a rulebook that can raise questions.

Just like the drug testing rule that can't be any more clear, yet you wanted that changed too, right Patrick. And with your proposed rule that nothing can cross or touch the line....there's no way that would result in racers challenging whether someone did or did not cross or touch the line, would it? it would be clear as day....NOT!!! :confused:

I love ALL the rules that actually GET changed because of multi-paged threads on NitroMater... :rolleyes:

Someone should collect up all the ways that NHRA drag racing should be changed posted here over the years and write a new rule book, then try and put on ONE race....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back