Throttle Stops in super gas/ super comp? (1 Viewer)

used to love Super Gas. Give me the Old Sheldon Gecker, Steve and terry Eckard in their Anglias and I am a happy guy.

T stops break my heart. I'm not sure why the drivers like them. You are still tuning the car to run a 9.40 then do a .50 dump so other than high top end to catch the other guy I don't see the advantage. Everyone keep going quicker and quicker.

I'd like to see them dump the .90 and go full bracket. Run whatever you want however you want it.

I use to run s/comp before we started running blowers and switched to top dragster. Its was fun and even had the honor of beating David Rampy for my first s/c wally, but I prefer the bracket racing part of it. I love the top dragsters and the q/16 races. I like the qualifying part of it and your paired from the get go. What I think would make the super categories a little better is to raise the index for all 3. 7.90 for s/c 8.90 for s/g.etc.... Most super comp cars can run low 7's or 6's anyway. Sure you would still have to use the stop, but you would be on it less time and could give you more time to set up your opponent. I think it would make for better closer racing as well.,

Just my .02

If you really wanted to see who the good drivers were and who could actually tune a car to run a number then remove all electronics from the cars. I'd be willing to bet a whole new group would rise to the top. That would shake up the troops.

I remember the class before t stops and electronics and it was a great class. It was all I wanted to do was to race super comp.

What I think would make the super categories a little better is to raise the index for all 3. 7.90 for s/c 8.90 for s/g.etc.... Most super comp cars can run low 7's or 6's anyway. Sure you would still have to use the stop, but you would be on it less time and could give you more time to set up your opponent. I think it would make for better closer racing as well.

I think you're dead on. I, and I think most of the Super class racers, agree. It would also take away some of the HP/MPH arms race that has been polluting the classes lately, and making it more of a "wallet" race.

I don't want to beat down or talk smack about how and or why the Super Gas and Super Comp cars come off the line and use these throttle stops or computers to dial in the cars. So will someone explain to me why this is done? I can remember when they didn't do this and i loved Super gas now its hard to watch. Thanks!!!!!!!

I had a quick look through this thread and didn't see where someone actually answered your question (although I am sure someone did), so here it is:

The reason that the cars now use throttle stops is to slow the car down at the start of a run, then they can use the horsepower for a big top end charge.

When running brake out racing, either Fixed Index (SG and SC) or DYO Bracket Racing, it is easier to come from behind as you can better judge whether you are going to get to the strip first. You can then decide whether you think that you need to beat them to the line to win (assuming you both don't break out) or if you want to let them cross the line first (assuming that they will break out and you won't, or will but by less than they do).

Running a car that runs 9.90 @ 140 flat out it is going to be a lot harder to see where you are at on the track in relation to the car that is running 9.90 @ 175 as he storms by at the finish line.

I hope this helps.

I just want to say that if you are watching sportsman racing, you have to be at the top end-that's where the action is, both in terms of the racing and the people hanging out there!

It's called Top Sportsman and Top Dragster.
I was thinking Pro Mod....
Any of these classes have more to do with $$$$ than driving ability.
This discussion comes up here every few months, and the answer is always the same. A lot of people don't like it. Racers do like it. It is what it is.
I don't have the cash to run PM, TS, or Comp. (Right now I don't have the money to run my SG car, much less those other classes) If I want to participate, then I am limited (as we all are) to what I can afford. Many of the tired old arguments against "Super Category" racing are mis-informed and have little or no basis in reality. The Electronics corporations (or any other manufacturers) are not holding NHRA hostage to keep their parts in these classes, that makes no sense. I have $1500 worth of electronics TOTAL in my car. I'm never buying more, I am done with that expense. Wouldn't a piston/intake/carb/transmission company have a lot more reason for these classes to be "balls out"? Wouldn't they be the ones pressuring NHRA?
These cars are not "run by computer" if you think so you are ignorant. Plain and simple. We are tuning our cars, adjusting to track conditions, weather, and other factors. We still have to let go of the button on time, we still have to get the car down the track while being aware of how the car is running, what the opponent is doing, etc. My POS iron Big Block is capable of spinning the tires on the launch, I have to compensate for that. Delay boxes DO NOT give you .000 reaction times. They slow down your reaction times so that you don't redlight. you have to adjust for track conditions, weather, lighting, and sometimes your opponent. We have to drive at the finish line, taking all of that info into account, and decide what to do. Tell me you don't like it, fine. I can live with that. Stockers and Super Stockers bore me to death, I don't watch them, and I am sure the people running those cars don't care if I watch or not. I will NOT say that they are not racing, and don't tell me that I am not racing. (actually I am not, at the moment, racing, due to the aforementioned $$$ issues, but that is another story)
Tim

Ithey
These cars are not "run by computer" if you think so you are ignorant. Plain and simple. We are tuning our cars, adjusting to track conditions, weather, and other factors. We still have to let go of the button on time, we still have to get the car down the track while being aware of how the car is running, what the opponent is doing, etc. My POS iron Big Block is capable of spinning the tires on the launch, I have to compensate for that. Delay boxes DO NOT give you .000 reaction times. They slow down your reaction times so that you don't redlight. you have to adjust for track conditions, weather, lighting, and sometimes your opponent. We have to drive at the finish line, taking all of that info into account, and decide what to do. Tell me you don't like it, fine. I can live with that. Stockers and Super Stockers bore me to death, I don't watch them, and I am sure the people running those cars don't care if I watch or not. I will NOT say that they are not racing, and don't tell me that I am not racing. (actually I am not, at the moment, racing, due to the aforementioned $$$ issues, but that is another story)
Tim

Great post. It is harder for me to help my friend dial his super street car than it is my super stocker.
I watch all sportsman's classes. More than the pros.
Also I wish you would watch super stock/stock, sportsman racers have to support each other. :)

Every time this discussion comes up, I realize that there's a fundamental disconnect that happens. Is the racing for the racer or the fan? Most people who run the super classes do it because they like it (see above). Most people who watch the super classes don't like it (see above).

It raises an interesting question about drag racing as a whole. Sportsman racing is largely for the racers, pro racing is largely for the fans. Only drag racing (as far as I can think of) mixes those on race day. You don't see the sportsman racers mixed in at NASCAR or other motorsports events. You don't see the little league baseball teams the same day as you see the big leagues. And so on. NHRA is the only place I can think of where this happens.

I don't like to watch little league baseball, unless my kid is playing. If they stopped between innings and let the 12 year olds play an inning, I'd be bored and pretty ticked off too. I think the same thing is happening here.

I was thinking Pro Mod....
Any of these classes have more to do with $$$$ than driving ability.
This discussion comes up here every few months, and the answer is always the same. A lot of people don't like it. Racers do like it. It is what it is.
I don't have the cash to run PM, TS, or Comp. (Right now I don't have the money to run my SG car, much less those other classes) If I want to participate, then I am limited (as we all are) to what I can afford. Many of the tired old arguments against "Super Category" racing are mis-informed and have little or no basis in reality. The Electronics corporations (or any other manufacturers) are not holding NHRA hostage to keep their parts in these classes, that makes no sense. I have $1500 worth of electronics TOTAL in my car. I'm never buying more, I am done with that expense. Wouldn't a piston/intake/carb/transmission company have a lot more reason for these classes to be "balls out"? Wouldn't they be the ones pressuring NHRA?
Tim

Great post Tim!

I race super comp and top sportsman. Everyone I know hates watching super comp with t stops. Before I started racing dragsters we'd load up and leave when they started b/c my crew hated watching them.
Every time I tell people what I race, they are highly disappointed and always ask why we take off then pause and take off even faster. haha. It's very funny to hear those questions.
People who have never had the chance to experience racing these will never understand the difficulty. I have grown extremely tired with hearing "those are easy to drive. I could do that. anybody could" from people who have never been near one of these.

We started racing S/C in 1992 without a electronic throttle stop. All we had was a screw on the back of the throttle peddle and a altimeter to tell us the relative altitude. We boughtg the old Over-the-Hill Gang T/F car and had it back halfed (the one in the NHRA museum). With some good record keeping of each run and a lot of previous experience, luck, and a great driver we had a better than 50% round win average.
We won the 1994 Winston World Finals in Pomona beating both Richardsons among others.
We took part of our winnings and bought a throttle stop. We won quite a bit more after that. Don't know who won more rounds than us for the next 2-3 years.
We built a new car 4 years ago but haven't been out much since then and because of the traveling involved only run mostly at Fontana club races.
Taking off the electronics would not be a big deal. At the same time take the weather stations away also (we don't have one), and the computers (don't have one of those either). People have spent untold amounts of money for big engines, suspension chassis' all that stuff - you don't need it.
We won without all that stuff and certainly can do it again without any of it.

It just takes racing smarts, good records, a great driver, and luck.

IMO, racing a car with a throttle stop is the same as racing in the nitro classes. TF and FC don't race the last 320 ft and throttle stop cars don't race the first 320 ft.

Throttle stops are banned in the obama health care bill, you know. :D

I race super comp and top sportsman. Everyone I know hates watching super comp with t stops. Before I started racing dragsters we'd load up and leave when they started b/c my crew hated watching them.
Every time I tell people what I race, they are highly disappointed and always ask why we take off then pause and take off even faster. haha. It's very funny to hear those questions.
People who have never had the chance to experience racing these will never understand the difficulty. I have grown extremely tired with hearing "those are easy to drive. I could do that. anybody could" from people who have never been near one of these.

When I was at G-ville I could hear some people booing during SC and after they were finished I heard someone say "Awesome now for some real race cars!" I decided not to say anything because.... I wanted to keep my facial features intact.

Does SC look easy because they "only" go 8.9 seconds? Admittedly, yes. But as the people who race them can tell you, it's tough in practice. If I had the money the first thing I'd do is get my SC and SS licenses.

BTW: It's a bit inaccurate to say only the pros are for the fans. I LOVE watching super stock and comp.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back