Super Comp (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
I'm not sure this is a tech question, per say, but it fit better here than it did in any of the other "Staging Lanes" so here goes...

I'm scraping together money to go to Frank Hawley's Drag Racing school to earn my Super Comp license. It's been a life long dream to compete in NHRA, all the way to Top Fuel, but I'm in the crawling stage of the crawl, walk, run mentality, so I'm trying to cross one bridge at a time.

The main reason I haven't done this sooner is because I've been in the Navy since '85 & I've been transferred all over the world - roughly every two or three years. I haven't had the chance to really grow roots anywhere, so I didn't want to add a race car to the issue just yet. And I may have one more transfer to go, so that's why I'm here.

My question is this (Sorry I didn't get to it sooner): Is there an expiration time/date that comes with a Super Comp license? Will I be required to make a certain number of runs annually to maintain currency or is it a lifelong certification with no restrictions? Any information/feedback would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Once you get your license, all you have to do is pass a physical every two years. Then turn the physical with paperwork in to the NHRA with a few bucks. You do not need to make runs. If you let it lapse, then you have to make runs to get the license again, but if you keep it up to date every two years with the physical, you are set.

Adding to Buzz's post, you are required to list the last runs you made, the date and I believe the time during the renewal.

Let us know how it goes.
We would love to hear of your experience, and see a few pictures while you are there.
Good luck!

In case anyone's interested in an update... My Navy career has continued to hamper my ability to get to the school, but I'm going to get there eventually. But I'm updating to say how great Drag Racing fans are.

I received a PM a few weeks ago from a gentleman whom I'd never met. He had read this thread and offered his assistance. He explained that he used to race Super Comp and was building another car to get back into it (kids are out of college, so funding is once again available). He also explained he had a bunch of friends who were still competing in So. Cal and if I was interested he'd introduce me to all of them and get me 'familiarized' with the cars, procedures, techniques, etc.

We went to Fontana together last weekend and I learned more in one day than I've learned in a long, long time. His friends all welcomed me into their circle like they'd known me forever. It was a great experience.

So I wanted to publicly thank Mr. Fred Liddle of San Diego, CA for introducing himself to me and taking the time to do what he did. And I also wanted to thank Guy, Neil, Danny & Mike for their kindness and patience while showing and explaining all of their equipment.

Drag Racers and their fans are the greatest!

Last edited:
Cool Gordon! Congrats......and kudos to Fred and all others mentioned, for helping out! :D

So I wanted to publicly thank Mr. Fred Liddle of San Diego, CA for introducing himself to me and taking the time to do what he did. And I also wanted to thank Guy, Neil, Danny & Mike for their kindness and patience while showing and explaining all of their equipment.

Drag Racers and their fans are the greatest!

Gordon; Fred's car is in my shop for tin right now, if you'd like to come to have a look, you're welcome. I'm not that far. 619-440-7701
Bob

What I want to see is you post in your own words what the experience was like when you got your first pass! I've put many in my bracket dragster just because it's fun watching them find out what the world is like from the other side.

Speaking of the Navy, I had the opportunity to visit the Quonset Air Museum in Rhode Island today. Awesome stuff! I never knew we had a hybrid plane in 1945! Prop engine in the front, jet in the rear. One of three made, only one left in the world.

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/usplanes/aircraft/xf15c-1.htm

http://www.theqam.org/

Hey Bob, I need a helmet bar kit. Cheaper to have you do it than buy a die for that size for me.
I will call you tomorrow.

Gordon; Fred's car is in my shop for tin right now, if you'd like to come to have a look, you're welcome. I'm not that far. 619-440-7701
Bob

Bob,

I'll give you a call some time next week, I'd love to come over and check it out. The problem I had climbing into the three cars in Fontana was I was too tall - I fit, but I wouldn't have had the required two inches of clearance above my head once I donned a helmet. I'm interested in seeing Fred's car - he tells me it resembles Neil's but is slightly longer...

Ron,

I'll definitely let everyone know once I make my first run, though I doubt I'll have the words to describe it accurately.

Lastly, I neglected to mention that for all of their kindness, Guy & Danny each went four rounds on Sunday & Neil went to the final... where he unfortunately bulbed by .004! Pretty good outing for the group.

Gordon,
I'd like to throw in by 2 bits here, you will have a ball at Hawley's. I just brought my son(who aged out of jr's) to Hawley's in Gainesville to get his Super Comp License. I sat in on all the sessions but did not drive, Frank has a great course developed. We had 12 people in our class 9 of which were new drivers,3 were drivers that were either upgrading their license or had let their license lapse and were renewing. Of the 9 new drivers 6 qualified at the end of the course to have their license signed off by Frank. My son being one of them. My son was calm as a cumcumber and did fantastic, I on the other hand was a basket case pacing around.LOL At the end of the course Frank told all the drivers that qualified for their license that although some of them did really well, don't go out thinking you are the next John Force. He said the license you just qualified for is basically your learners permit, now get out there and get some passes under your belt. Here are a couple of pictures of my son at Hawley's!

Julesincar2.jpg

Julesrun.jpg

Julescockpit.jpg

Adding to Buzz's post, you are required to list the last runs you made, the date and I believe the time during the renewal.
Jenn,
For what it's worth, you only have to list your last runs if you are applying for a Pro license. If you let your license lapse by 1 year, you have to make 3 test runs, and if you go 30 days after expiration, you could lose your competition number. Also, if you're cross-grading (short-wheelbase to long wheel-base, or vice-versa) you have to make the 3 test runs. Only reason it's fresh on my mind is I just took my physical this morning to renew............:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back