Throttle Stops in super gas/ super comp? (1 Viewer)

nitrosaint

Nitro Member
I don't want to beat down or talk smack about how and or why the Super Gas and Super Comp cars come off the line and use these throttle stops or computers to dial in the cars. So will someone explain to me why this is done? I can remember when they didn't do this and i loved Super gas now its hard to watch. Thanks!!!!!!!

Hey Jason......the reason I use a throttle stop is to be consistent in running 8.90 in Super Comp. Without the stop I have no way of controlling how fast my car will run.

My car will run much faster than 8.90. This allows me to also run Top Dragster which is a class you have to qualify for.

Super Gas (originaly Pro Gas 9.80 at first) was really cool at first. Big variation of cars, wheels up launches... cars that REALLY ran 9.90. Most would play a little at the big end but it was a fun class to watch. Then came throttle stops, really unique AT FIRST but now you have low eight second or whatever cars that jump then creep then go 170 at the finish.
Look how many people used to go to divisional races before throttle stops and look at now. It's sickening to me. I started racing in 1960, I talk to people that love drag racing but won't go anymore because of the never ending "stumbler cars" as they call them. Yeah, I know it takes tremendous skill on the tree and dialing the car, don't think I don't know , I still race, just telling the way I see it. I like Top Dragster/ Sportsman, at least you see PERFORMANCE!!

Throttle stops has wrecked both of these once great classes. I don't know if it's just me but it seems like when the T-stops made these unwatchable cookie cutter classes we lost the fan turn out at division races.

Last edited:
We do it so the best driver wins the race, not the schmuck with the largest wallet.

These are the hardest classes in the entire sport of drag racing. You win or lose by inches every round. The calculations required are far more complex and you have to analyze everything.

I run Super Pro ( Top Dragster ) and Super Comp, and it is far more difficult to win in Super Comp.

I spend every day examining customers run data trying to perfect my prediction formulas, it is a never ending search for answers. I found out why I really needed LOG() and EXP() functions. When I was taking math classes in college I was sure there was no real world use for these....

If you want to watch these classes then go down to the 1200 foot mark and watch us looking at each other at 180 mph. Try to figure out who won the round without looking at the scoreboard, I bet you are wrong more than you are right.

If you want to watch these classes then go down to the 1200 foot mark and watch us looking at each other at 180 mph. Try to figure out who won the round without looking at the scoreboard, I bet you are wrong more than you are right.

THIS IS THE PARAGRAPH POST OF THE YEAR!

People often wonder why I love Super Comp racing so much. This is exactly it. Until you've driven down the track, doing 170 and having to decide at the last second.. DO I TAKE THE STRIPE BY ABOUT AN INCH OR DO I DUMP AND LET HIM TAKE IT...it's hard to understand the appeal of this class.

For fans I can see how "BORING" it might be. But, during this class, why don't you get out of your reserved seats, walk down to G.A. by the finish line and watch these racers RACING.... I'll bet you'll have another opinion of these Super Classes.

Top Dragster and Top Sportsman are just as entertaining to watch, but many times it does come down to CUBIC $$$ in these classes. You've got to QUALIFY to race in this category. And if your car is not in the top 64 at most races... HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Nice post Don
:cool:

Throttle stops has wrecked both of these once great classes. I don't know if it's just me but it seems like when the T-stops made these unwatchable cookie cutter classes we lost the fan turn out at division races.

If you really wanted to see who the good drivers were and who could actually tune a car to run a number then remove all electronics from the cars. I'd be willing to bet a whole new group would rise to the top. That would shake up the troops.

You also have to bear in mind that it wasn't the racers who allowed this "madness" to happen. They're just playing the game in the best way known to win. After all, winning is what it's all about. This is not meant as a dig against the sanctioning bodies, but just a statement of fact. Change this to no electronics and the good racers will still rise to the top. Over the years, it's the super classes that have consistently managed to maintain, and in some cases increased, car counts. Obviously car counts have suffered over the past year or so in general, but I doubt it has much to do with electronics.

If you really wanted to see who the good drivers were and who could actually tune a car to run a number then remove all electronics from the cars. I'd be willing to bet a whole new group would rise to the top. That would shake up the troops.

Amen, brother!!!

If you want to watch these classes then go down to the 1200 foot mark and watch us looking at each other at 180 mph.

Yeah, but unfortunately there are many cases now where that doesn't even happen. So go ahead and make your way down to 1200 feet and start watching the guys/gals. Then take note of the percentage of them looking somewhere else than in the other lane. Yet another element that has taken the sport out of those classes.

Sean D

Your right on Randy, it would bring back the way super classes were meant to be ran.

To a person, the people who don't like it have never tried it. I don't know anyone who has raced Super Comp who has anything but huge respect for it. It's the hardest racing there is. Perhaps it's not a spectator sport, but that's mostly because people don't know what they're watching (see Don's post).

A huge reason Top Dragster exists is because people found S/C too hard and wanted an easier way to duck hunt. And all the people who decry "electronics" (which is a misnomer, there's more computing power in your oven timer) probably are quite sure what this whole "cell phone" thing is just a fad...

Last edited:
We do it so the best driver wins the race, not the schmuck with the largest wallet.

These are the hardest classes in the entire sport of drag racing. You win or lose by inches every round. The calculations required are far more complex and you have to analyze everything.

I run Super Pro ( Top Dragster ) and Super Comp, and it is far more difficult to win in Super Comp.

I spend every day examining customers run data trying to perfect my prediction formulas, it is a never ending search for answers. I found out why I really needed LOG() and EXP() functions. When I was taking math classes in college I was sure there was no real world use for these....

Couldn't have said it any better myself

For fans I can see how "BORING" it might be. But, during this class, why don't you get out of your reserved seats, walk down to G.A. by the finish line and watch these racers RACING.... I'll bet you'll have another opinion of these Super Classes.

The Super classes (and to some extent the other bracket classes) are where actual racing occurs in drag racing, competition against the person in the other lane. So much of drag racing is "set it up and hope". Other than a pedal fest in nitro, most of drag racing is a competition of you against your combination, your combination against the track, you against the clock. It could be a potted plant in the next lane. In the Super classes, you're actually racing to beat the other guy -- within a really tight window.

I know folks who've been doing it for years, and if you handed them a stop watch and told them to press start and stop without looking, they could hit 8.90 seconds within a couple of thou' 90 times out of a 100, while still carrying on a conversation with you.. It's in their blood stream.

Yeah, but unfortunately there are many cases now where that doesn't even happen. So go ahead and make your way down to 1200 feet and start watching the guys/gals. Then take note of the percentage of them looking somewhere else than in the other lane. Yet another element that has taken the sport out of those classes.

Sean D

I noticed that too & will keep my belief to myself. :confused:
I enjoy watching to super classes and have friends that race them. But it is hard to explain to a first time spectator what throttle stop racing is all about(mph).
I must admit it takes alot to run one constantly(reaction time setting, throttle stop setting, weather changes, etc).
I too like to watch them on the top end to see who plays the game the best.

Yeah, but unfortunately there are many cases now where that doesn't even happen. So go ahead and make your way down to 1200 feet and start watching the guys/gals. Then take note of the percentage of them looking somewhere else than in the other lane.

Then correlate that percentage with win percentage. They aren't winning much.

Quote – Christopher - I don't know anyone who has raced Super Comp who has anything but huge respect for it. It's the hardest racing there is.

I could argue that – But Christopher is correct, it is hard – here is a suggestion – Leave SC racing the way it is – I can see how having a SC/Top Dragster car is great, and good for the sport – Set up Super Gas as a 9.90 bracket, no throttle stops, make the combo run the number without electronics. Without launch control, without throttle stops, and on an index, you can’t tell me (as a fast no box racer myself) that this would not be harder racing than SC, not to mention putting more of the driver tuner back into the race. A completely different challenge

I also agree that perhaps the guys like Scotty, Luke, and Edmond would be at the top. After all they are the best at being a Driver, Spot Dropper, or Dialer, and mixing up the strategies as the opponent and conditions demand. But it would be without electronic aid in launching and controlling the overall ET of the car. The respect factor for the drivers that could do all that, and dominate, would be off the charts. Not to mention it would be great racing. It might even keep more people in the stands for SC.

I could go either way on the T-stop issue, but I agree with what Don Huggins said back on page #1, it is the most difficut sportsman class to tune for due to all of the variables...and I love it!

Then correlate that percentage with win percentage. They aren't winning much.

ROTFLMMFAO!!!!! Now that's about the best one I've heard in quite a while!

Chris, I didn't think I needed to come right out and say it, but I'm talking about the folks that are looking somewhere else than in the other lane, yet manage to run dead-on with change while taking a car length or more at the stripe. And yes, they win a lot. For those of you that don't get that, it's because what they're looking at tells them they're safe, so they don't need to look in the other lane like bracket racing was intended. It's an absolute joke and has taken bracket racing down yet another notch further than it was already taken with the influx of all this bullsh!t electronics to start with.

It disappoints and pisses me off beyond belief, but if nothing else I know that all the races I won were done the right way.

Sean D

I could go either way on the T-stop issue, but I agree with what Don Huggins said back on page #1, it is the most difficut sportsman class to tune for due to all of the variables...and I love it!

So do I, Pete, and I'm a spectator. Super Gas too, for that matter. Super classes are just as much "racing" as any other, just done differently, that's all. If you don't like it, there's tons of other stuff you can do while they run.
Simple as that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back