Thoughts on the new cars at Palm Beach (1 Viewer)

What do the years 2001 & 2009 have in common for Alan Johnson??
Defending TF champion and fielding a FC.................
Final results
Gary Scelzi 5th in TF
Bruce Sarver 6th in FC
I know, a lot has changed but before we hand over both trophies, we should see how things go........:)

...folks, thats why we don't race these things on paper. :D

Scotty Cannon had that same basic design done and finished almost a decade ago. NHRA told him not to even think about bringing it to a national event. We will see if they do the same for Wilk.

Buzzz. isn't that strut set-up similar to what Rampy and others are running on their Comp Altereds? Why would NHRA frown on it? I certainly don't know for sure, but I don't think there's a rule mandating solid front ends. I remember some of the chassis in the old days, early '70s, when some guys had independent front suspensions on FCs, similar to the front end of the Rat Trap AA/FA.

Buzzz. isn't that strut set-up similar to what Rampy and others are running on their Comp Altereds? Why would NHRA frown on it? I certainly don't know for sure, but I don't think there's a rule mandating solid front ends. I remember some of the chassis in the old days, early '70s, when some guys had independent front suspensions on FCs, similar to the front end of the Rat Trap AA/FA.

Nunzio, here's the rule. 2009 Rulebook - Section 15:3 - SUSPENSION: "Front and rear suspension prohibited."

It will be interesting to see if they run this configuration at Firebird test, since it certainly appears not to be approved for competition.

If it is approved, it is another can of worms.
Because McKinney again takes an idea from Scotty. (Anything but new there.) This particular one Scotty was told don't show up on an NHRA track with it. But this idea has now gone down a track. Will it be approved? If it is, what is the difference between Scotty's and McKinney? Is it in the idea, in the actual safety or in the name? Then when will Scotty's other ideas, a rear suspension, and some of the others show up as the new McKinney tricks?
I can't take this crap. I think I am just going to take a break from drag racing for a while.:(

All the Al Anabi cars are beautiful. They have several new pro mods coming out this year and they are stunning. The car Rickie is driving in testing is suppose to be Shannon Jenkins new 1/4 car from what I've heard.

You know, there was a time in my life (early 90's) that February was all about Daytona. The times have changed. Thank goodness. It's all about Pomona.

I really dig who ever tries new ideas or goes back to ideas that have already been attempted and give it the good old college try, especially with a different mind set, even if it's just in testing. That's the only way chassis dynamics will progress in my opinion, with the exception of additional software/math aiding in a design.

I can not see the entire system 100% clearly, but since it's a live suspension system, I wonder if people/racers will complain as the car goes down the 1320/1000 ft gradually, that the frontal area of the body will be able to go down slightly lower due to the down force over coming the coil spring rate.

Or am I mistaking something?

I wish there was more innovation in the upper ranks, but I understand needing set rules in a safety stand point so things are easier to enforce and analyze. I wish it was not as cookie cutter as the present day setups, but a guy can think and dream of different setups and should have the right to test those out in testing in my opinion.

Enough of me rambling... :)

I can not see the entire system 100% clearly, but since it's a live suspension system, I wonder if people/racers will complain as the car goes down the 1320/1000 ft gradually, that the frontal area of the body will be able to go down slightly lower due to the down force over coming the coil spring rate.

The body trips all the lights other than the ones at the starting line (may be wrong on that, but I know it trips the ones at the top end) so it really doesn't make a difference as far as timing goes. Some of the bodies have enough flex now that the body is almost dragging at the top end anyways (the Force cars a couple years ago were really low).

The first thing I thought of when I saw that was how stiff it would have to be to not be fully compressed at the top end unless they go with a bump stop or coil bind setup like they run on the cup cars.

I wont repost the pic, but it does appear to have a travel cable , you can see it on the left shock appears on the left just inside the spring ( looks white/metallic -aviation cable?)

I wont repost the pic, but it does appear to have a travel cable , you can see it on the left shock appears on the left just inside the spring ( looks white/metallic -aviation cable?)

Hard to tell and I think you are right, but it could also be part of the data acquisition or meant to serve as a tether in case something breaks. Either way it would be made to limit how far the wheel can drop when the suspension is extending and not how far it can compress.

I hope he would put something to monitor the jounce and rebound for data and of course a retaining strap/etc for safety purposes. :confused: I only got to see 2 semi small pics, I wish I had a full detailed photo to check it out.

Also, I knew the bodies had a little give, but I honestly did not know they flexed that much, my bad. My past experience is only in the nostalgia circuit and it's def. very limited to be honest. It sorta makes my point moot, except that it might happen (body lowered) even quicker, which will hopefully reduce a little drag getting it down as low as possible sooner in the run, especially if the coil spring rate is soft with a properly configured strut or shock to control the oscillations.

Can you say run on sentence and poor english? :D

I never thought of limiting that via coil bind (sounds destructive) or a bump stop/etc. Pretty simple idea that I just didn't think since I'd think the car would not want to be disrupted due to the sudden change.

I just feel like talking about tech, even if I have no clue what I'm talking about.:) Def. keep the posts coming, I like learning and can talk tech all night...

Just wondering......Since LD isnt driving for Snake anymore,nobody thinks Spencer has a chance?(Havent heard his name mentioned much),with Donnie and Todd there,that car will contend for the title as well.

If it is approved, it is another can of worms.
Because McKinney again takes an idea from Scotty. (Anything but new there.) This particular one Scotty was told don't show up on an NHRA track with it. But this idea has now gone down a track. Will it be approved? If it is, what is the difference between Scotty's and McKinney? Is it in the idea, in the actual safety or in the name? Then when will Scotty's other ideas, a rear suspension, and some of the others show up as the new McKinney tricks?
I can't take this crap. I think I am just going to take a break from drag racing for a while.:(

Hmmm, I didn't know Scotty had a patent on F/C suspension!:rolleyes:

......when funny cars had front suspension?

hawaiian-1.jpg

Did someone step on the pipes?
Why are the back tires so skinny?

Did someone step on the pipes?
Why are the back tires so skinny?

Weedburners (there's a reason for that name) Good... also helps you blow chit in front of the guy in the other lane's tires.... and the wonderful of Nitro carried very well to the bleachers.:D;)

and that werked because of the 10 inch meats in the back....
those things were Huge back in the day....:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back