This is what gives Drag racing a Bad name! (1 Viewer)

Kids playing around drinking Booze and Street racing. Not sure if anyone was killed luckily!:confused:

YouTube - Drag race

Joe,

I don't know what it's like out in America through the media on this crap, but back in Australia kids like that always seem to make the news, and it's always "And drag racers...." Kids like that in the past have really given drag racing a bad name, because the general public who see the news think that's what drag racing is. I know fans have complained into the news networks about them labelling that crap as drag racing.

All I can is what a bunch of idiots!

Mike

This subject has been beat to death. Over the years, we've all complained, wrote letters and Emails, all to no avail.
Unfortunately, I don't see this practice of calling reckless racing, DR ever changing.

Maybe someone at NHRA should issue a release to all the media outlets (I know there are alot of them but this matter is serious) on what the TRUE definition of a Drag Race really is. Few things steam me more than while watching the news, the proverbial "bubble headed bleach blonde" at the desk tells all about a Drag Race on so-and-so street last night.

Dave

Happens in a lot of industries. You should see the uproar in trucking publications whenever there's a commercial featuring one or more truck(s) bearing down on some ditzy blonde who was probably where she shouldn't have been in the first place. Have also seen news reports such as "A truck driver forced a school bus off the road" and it turns out it was a pickup.

We just had a kid that was street racing lose control of his car and kill a guy in a work truck in Las Vegas, at least the news here usually calls it street racing and not Drag Racing. I think the guys at LVMS had a lot to do with that.

Last edited:
Correct Terminology

As stated above, we are beating a dead horse here, BUT, What we do is Professional Drag Racing, WE are carefull, caring, and in most cases( burn downs included) considerate.
What they are doing is street racing, terminology used by a group that broadcasts drive by shootings dont call it hunting & bus routes being blocked...//..... by a family of ducklings crossing the street, Cant really be held accountable if the guy that writes for the telepromter cant be responsible enough to get it right. They say what they read!

You dont need a degree to broadcast news ( ducking for cover from the flames) you just need a good strong voice and straight teeth.
You dont need a degree to write copy to a teleprompter ( ducking for cover from the flames) you just need to be able to get the spelling of the local streets straight, and give the broadcast reader a general mispelling of the governors name, (they'll screw it up anyway).
now that I have critiqued the broadcasting empire,
The guy in the right lanes reaction time was so lethargic, he had to be 5 sheets before he lined up.
When I was raised in Texas, and even here in the North in Illinois.............WE called that Drunk Driving!

As stated above, we are beating a dead horse here, BUT, What we do is Professional Drag Racing, WE are carefull, caring, and in most cases( burn downs included) considerate.
What they are doing is street racing, terminology used by a group that broadcasts drive by shootings dont call it hunting & bus routes being blocked...//..... by a family of ducklings crossing the street, Cant really be held accountable if the guy that writes for the teleprompter cant be responsible enough to get it right. They say what they read!

You dont need a degree to broadcast news ( ducking for cover from the flames) you just need a good strong voice and straight teeth.
You dont need a degree to write copy to a teleprompter ( ducking for cover from the flames) you just need to be able to get the spelling of the local streets straight, and give the broadcast reader a general mispelling of the governors name, (they'll screw it up anyway).
now that I have critiqued the broadcasting empire,
The guy in the right lanes reaction time was so lethargic, he had to be 5 sheets before he lined up.
When I was raised in Texas, and even here in the North in Illinois.............WE called that Drunk Driving!

Pete,

As a 16 plus year veteran of the broadcasting industry (Radio) and the son of a 30 plus year television engineer. I must take exception to some of the things you state here: "You don’t need a degree to broadcast news ( ducking for cover from the flames) you just need a good strong voice and straight teeth."> If you have a good strong voice, can speak clearly and are able to read on the fly, they will pay to get your teeth fixed for you, so the straight teeth are not an issue.

"You don’t need a degree to write copy to a teleprompter ( ducking for cover from the flames) you just need to be able to get the spelling of the local streets straight, and give the broadcast reader a general misspelling of the governors name, (they'll screw it up anyway)."

The really bad part of this statement is that most times the newsperson has the opportunity to pre-read a lot of the news and still gets it wrong! In some smaller markets the person that reads it writes it!

The big problem is that a car crash with some nicely mangled, twisted metal draws the attention of Joe and Jane lunchbox and makes them sit through the commercials to see the story. If it bleeds it leads.

In the mid to late 70's it was decided that broadcast news divisions had to make a profit, it was at that moment that news no longer had to be accurate, just profitable.

Out side of the big time news outlets, there is nobody checking continuity anymore and many of them still don't get it right.

If I was looking for more accurate news, I would try to find a good news radio station. They tend to spend more time on the story and less time on how they look.

Just my .02

P.S. you misspelled, misspelling. I'm not criticizing you, it just funny:D

Last edited:
Correct Terminolgy

The correct terminology is Illegal Street Racing. What gives Drag Racing a bad name, more than the idiots racing on the street, is the media outlets providing inaccurate information.
Hope this helps.
wave2.gif

Actually..the definition of drag racing is:

Function: noun
: an acceleration contest between vehicles from a standing start

I agree it's bullsh!t

What really cracks me up about the people at a street race are the ass clowns who stand on down the line where the cars are going fast and more apt to lose control. Definitely does not take a genius to figure that one out. Oh well, I guess it's "Cleaning up the gene pool".

Dan Lea

Dan,
Thanks for the spell check, as you can tell, I dont pre-read my own copy
...... must be cause I am in the Chicago Market.:D Ha-Ha

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back