The Russians are coming..... (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Was on www.eurodragster.com. reading Q results for the final race in Europe, at Santa Pod. The Russian Pro Mod champ (for 4 straight seasons) is Dmitry Samorukov. He ran his first 5 at The Pod, 5.99 - 238. His car is tuned by Adam Flamholc, who races in the US quite a bit. Anyhoo, the whole team will be shipping the race car to Florida this coming Wed, where Flamholc has a shop. Dmitry is coming to race in the winter Pro Mod series. Be interesting to see how he does. He is part of the SMP Racing, which is big in Russia. Dmitry has run the Russian series this year along with European circuit as well.

I had read somewhere earlier this year that Flamholic picked up SMP as a sponsor and the entire plan was to bring in a multi car team from Russia to run in the NHRA Pro Mod series. It looks like it’s going to happen. Always good to see more cars added.

This was cool to read all the posts. Who knows what will happen next year with this team?

Samorukov reached the second round on Sunday, losing to eventual winner and new European champ Jan Ericsson, and finished with fresh PBs of 5.846/246.50.

Robin, do you think the European Pro Mods are on a par with US cars? The race tracks look good to me from what I see on videos & I know The Pod is all concrete now. I am impressed with the European teams. What happened to the Green Goblin Ford? Loved that car!

As with all classes, the Europeans are always a tad behind the Americans. Why? Well, costs for a start -- importing all the kit across the Atlantic makes it much more expensive. Plus, both European and British championships run to just six races, while the Americans get many more shots at the track.

Funnily enough though, Tero Laukkanen of Finland, with help from Brad Personett, set the European speed record at 260.11mph in 2015. Erica Enders only matched that this year -- exact same speed (!) -- before fractionally improving it.

The Green Goblin Ford is now the Black & White Ford. Mats Eriksson brought out his new '56 Crown Victoria at the end of last year -- same shape but brand new car. He ran new personal bests of 5.843/244.08 at Santa Pod this past weekend. Amazingly, Mats lost on a second-round holeshot to Jean Dulamon, the French racer who has been a career also-ran since importing an ex-Vinny Budano NMCA Pro Street Camaro in 2010, noted mainly for volcanic 'nitrous burps' which launched his hood scoop high into the start-line air. This season Dulamon installed EFI and the results have been remarkable, with PBs at each race, a first-ever round win last race and now a trip to the final at the FIA European Finals, no less. Talk about an underdog achievement! Dulamon lost there to new champion Jan Ericsson (not to be confused with Mats Eriksson).

You'll gather from this that, while generally slower than their US counterparts, a number of European Pro Mods are (how shall we say?) a little more characterful -- eg Eriksson's Crown Victoria, the Jimmy Ålund-driven Old 51 Chevy Business Coupe which won last year's championship, and 'Fast Freddy' Fagerström's astonishing, 5.9sec/240mph C-10 truck -- and that European racers hang on to their vehicles much longer.

Scroll down through the daily photo pages on Eurodragster.com's European Finals report here:
You can pick out one or two shots of the Black & White Crown Victoria.

Thanks Robin. If I had a couple trillion $$$ (heh) I would love to have a real world championship for all the Pros. One in Europe (probably Santa Pod, cuz it's the oldest track, I think), one in Australia and one is USA. That's been my dream for years. I've followed European & Australian drag racing since early 1970's. I still remember the Firefly T/F and Clive Skilton & Dennis Priddle running at Pomona around 1972. Good memories.

some interesting detail from Robin Jackson. I've been going to Santa Pod Raceway for 47 years, and enjoyed an excellent three days there last weekend. In Europe , as well as nitro super-twins, we do have the bonus of 'proper' Top Fuel bikes attending FIM Championship rounds. Star of the show at the weekend, for me, was Fast Fil ( Filippos Papafilippou) who certainly could give Larry McBride a run for his money; with two qualifying runs with a 5. 663 followed by a 5.662 at 246.74 . Promod is certainly extremely popular across European Drag Racing, and with a competitor like Fast Freddy who usually burns out to at least 800 ft, and reverses back so fast, that he's back at the startline before his opponent - a great crowd pleaser. I have just read that a current Swedish racer has acquired Bob Bode's previous Funny Car, so we might now have as many as 5 Fuel Funny cars competing in 2020 !! Looking forward to Maple Grove tonight.

Some of the European TF Bikes meet up with their US counterparts each November at the Man Cup Finals at Valdosta, GA. Expect Papafilippou and McBride to mix it up there this year.

If anyone remembers Wild Wilfred Boutillier from the 1970s/80s, Fast Freddy Fagerström follows his backup style.

I'll have to check out this Wilfred Boutillier.
Filippos told me, that like last year, it will be Ian King who will be riding the Gulf Oils TF bike at Valdosta. I'm sure Ian will be keen to run his first 5.6

Wild Wilford was from So California, was a pioneer in Pro Comp, early 1970's. Ran an alcohol F/C. I saw him run at Lions & other tracks in the Los Angeles area. He was a terror in Pro Comp.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back