The Gauntlet has been thrown in Pro Stock! (1 Viewer)

My money is still on the GM cars. ;)

Sean D

I've always believed that the new championship has to be taken away from the current champ. I accurately predicted earlier last year that the Summit cars would be the ones to beat at the end of the season, and I was correct. I still believe that to be the case.

Sean...I agree with your thoughts on early testing home run shots. I remember Roger Brogden running over 210 mph in his Dodge in testing at Houston. He NEVER ran anything close to that the rest of the season. As wonderful as AJ's shot is, it means nothing until Pomona...then it means everything. I hope it was a legal run that we see repeated all season long. That's what will have to happen to take the championship away from Mr Anderson.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the first 213mph run also. Looks like the predictions in this weeks National Dragster will hold true if the air and track are there!

not the first 213 i know that 100% but i cannot tell you who did it. i'm 60% sure it was Anderson the first to crack 213 at some race if not in 10 then in 09. Maybe 09 Richmond? who can help me?

good job for AJ. I hope he does really well this year. I can't tell you how bad it was to go into his pits at Charlotte last fall after the dq to interview him. But, he was a trooper and did the interview! If he hits those Bradenton conditions again during a national event.... it's going to be a huge story!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!

Enough of testing.... let's start the season tomorrow!! LOL

Sean...I agree with your thoughts on early testing home run shots. I remember Roger Brogden running over 210 mph in his Dodge in testing at Houston. He NEVER ran anything close to that the rest of the season. As wonderful as AJ's shot is, it means nothing until Pomona...then it means everything. I hope it was a legal run that we see repeated all season long. That's what will have to happen to take the championship away from Mr Anderson.

Absolutely. And to expand on the latter part of your paragraph about it not meaning anything until Pomona, that's something that has always perplexed me. AJ's run is awesome, no doubt about it. But how often will we see conditions condusive for that type of performance throughout the year? I can't say how many for sure, but I can definitely tell you that it won't be enough times to win a championship, which is why these pre-season home run shots don't mean sh!t to me anymore. None of them have ever translated into a dominating performance throughout the entire year, let alone Pomona.

It seems to me a premium would be put on testing in conditions that they will likely encounter for the majority of the year rather than in conditions like this. I realize there may not be a lot of other options because it's probably not very warm anywhere this early in the year, but there's surely somewhere else they can test that will more closely replicate the altitude/conditions they're see more often, isn't there? I don't know. What I do know is that if this teaches them how to fly on the 2 or 3 times they might see mineshaft conditions, yet they struggle when the conditions are less than ideal and end up short of the world championship, then all they will have is pre-season headlines of an unsubstantiated world record level pass.

I'm not a Mopar guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Johnson camp. Many have jumped on the Mopar bandwagon over the years and when they stunk it up, they bailed. These guys, however, have stuck with this combination for a lot of years through a lot of highs and lows and are finally reaping the rewards of their efforts and loyalty. And even being a Chevy guy, I think that's kinda' cool. ;)

Sean D

I'm not a Mopar guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a lot of respect and admiration for the Johnson camp. Many have jumped on the Mopar bandwagon over the years and when they stunk it up, they bailed. These guys, however, have stuck with this combination for a lot of years through a lot of highs and lows and are finally reaping the rewards of their efforts and loyalty. And even being a Chevy guy, I think that's kinda' cool. ;)

Sean D

And I'm not a GM guy by the same stretch...but I think Greg Anderson is the best this class has. He's consistently figured out how to field a championship winning car. I interviewed Jeggie at a Mopar race in Vegas and he told me (live) that the year he won his first championship he wasn't the quickest or fastest car...Greg was. He's the man if you ask me.

And yes...you're one cool dude for giving AJ and Roy props. They've hung in there when others didn't. I think Roy is one baaaaad dude! ;)

And I'm not a GM guy by the same stretch...but I think Greg Anderson is the best this class has. He's consistently figured out how to field a championship winning car. I interviewed Jeggie at a Mopar race in Vegas and he told me (live) that the year he won his first championship he wasn't the quickest or fastest car...Greg was. He's the man if you ask me.

And yes...you're one cool dude for giving AJ and Roy props. They've hung in there when others didn't. I think Roy is one baaaaad dude! ;)

John, I can't believe it! YOU'RE not a Chevy guy????;) Of course the bowtie in me wants to believe the Chevy contingent will be on top, I, too, have the utmost respect for AJ and co., especially the way they handled the dq last year...extreme class..I'm actually getting close to saying "Go Mopar!":D

But I still gotta wonder what transpired to get EE back in a Cagnazzi ride...I just don't get it, with the talented drivers on the sideline and available right now...scuze me, I'll put my expired equestrian beater away now...

Fella's we all know that PS will be dominated by a Chevy Big Block. Just depends on whether its Anderson or Edwards. Mopar cars will be a close 3rd and the Ford's are in it for the fun of it all.

But I still gotta wonder what transpired to get EE back in a Cagnazzi ride...I just don't get it, with the talented drivers on the sideline and available right now...scuze me, I'll put my expired equestrian beater away now...

She brought a sponsor to the table ... if any of the talented drivers on the sideline could get a sponsor they wouldn't be on the sidelines either! Money trumps all.

Also, I am not willing to hand the trophy back to the Summit team just yet. Those guys are awesome, but it remains to be seen how much that hauler burning down after Pomona will hurt the team. That was their good car and good motors. It could take them a little while to get sorted.

Exactly how much R&D does GM, Chrysler and Ford do with NHRA Pro stock engine programs?

I know Chrysler has done, and continues to do a lot. When David Nickens was creating the new generation HEMI for Pro Stock he had access to engineering in Detroit and continued to work with them on the development of the motor and combination. That effort has continued with Allen and Roy. Additionally, Dodge reskinned the Stratus four times to increase its aerodynamics and then worked with them on the creation of the current Avenger body and chassis. Numerous hours in the wind tunnell on both bodies. That type of engineering is invaluable and is not available to most teams. I don't think there would have been any Dodges in Pro Stock had it not been for factory engineering and support.

John, I can't believe it! YOU'RE not a Chevy guy????;) Of course the bowtie in me wants to believe the Chevy contingent will be on top, I, too, have the utmost respect for AJ and co., especially the way they handled the dq last year...extreme class..I'm actually getting close to saying "Go Mopar!":D

I have the utmost respect for the GM cars. They've been the class of the field since Glidden parked his own team. I have consistently rooted for the Summit cars from day one. Greg Anderson has proven to be smarter than the class. People have always pointed to the money available to him, but without intelligence and good decision making...along with stellar driving, there are no successes. He built that team from scratch and has been the man to catch for many years. As I pointed out in an earlier post on this thread...Greg will be the man to catch this year.

Until a Mopar wins a championship, it's the GM cars to win. So.....go GM!!! (unless there's a Mopar in the other lane!) ;)

She brought a sponsor to the table ... if any of the talented drivers on the sideline could get a sponsor they wouldn't be on the sidelines either! Money trumps all.

I think you're all going to find that EE is going to be a little better behind the wheel than you think. Are there better drivers on the sidelines? Yeah, you could probably argue that. But the gap isn't as big as you think it is and you'll see that this year. Chris is absolutely right regarding the sponsorship, but she has the tools, I promise you.

Sean D

I think you're all going to find that EE is going to be a little better behind the wheel than you think. Are there better drivers on the sidelines? Yeah, you could probably argue that. But the gap isn't as big as you think it is and you'll see that this year. Chris is absolutely right regarding the sponsorship, but she has the tools, I promise you.

Sean D
I agree totally Sean, some people will be very surprised........

Chris is absolutely right regarding the sponsorship, but she has the tools, I promise you.

Sean D

I am an Erica fan, I think she will do well this year. My only point is she would still be on the sidelines without the sponsorship help, I wasn't comparing her skill set to any other driver's.

not the first 213 i know that 100% but i cannot tell you who did it. i'm 60% sure it was Anderson the first to crack 213 at some race if not in 10 then in 09. Maybe 09 Richmond? who can help me?

Actually according to the top 10 fastest runs in National Dragster, Greg Anderson is on top at 212.46, which is also the national record. So yep, fastest ever by .5mph and first over 213.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back