The Coolest Thing in Norwalk (1 Viewer)

Ben Wentzel bought a Camaro Z-28 in 1967, he drove it to Indy entered Stock, and won the US Nationals! Since that time he has won division races, a Division 3 Championship and even an All-Stars title, but never another National Event. Until yesterday. Driving the same car that still has the window sticker in it, with a 302 and a 4-speed, he made his way through the field to the semis where he beat Peter Biondo to earn the right to race David Rampy in the final round. In that round after a three hour rain delay he was .014 and dead-on 5 to light up the big W on the scoarboard for his first National win in 43 YEARS!

After reading that description, I feel like I was at the track, listening to Mr. Reinhart on the P.A.

Yes, by far and away the coolest thing that happened last weekend, and probably all season. Of course, for me, like Alan, the sun rises and sets with Stock Eliminator also!

And congrats, Mr. Ring, on an outstanding weekend for your camp as well!

A man and his camaro: Ben wenzel’s story

A MAN AND HIS CAMARO: BEN WENZEL’S STORY

A Great Story!

A MAN AND HIS CAMARO: BEN WENZEL?S STORY

ss_final.jpg

Re: A man and his camaro: Ben wenzel’s story

Did you notice that the car is a manual trans car (a real race car for a change)?

Dave,

It's a Z-28 that meant (back in the day) 302 and 4-speed

It's a cool car,
Alan

Are they running C stock these days. My '69 428 CJ Mustang ran H stock "back in the day".

Great "feel good" story, Alan. I love it when things like this happen to people whose perseverance finally pays off. Congrats to Ben, his family and crew.

AWESOME!!!

Reminds me of when we were in St. Louis in 2008 and celebrating Wilk's win post race in the Winner's Circle when by chance I struck up a conversation with a 60 something gentleman dressed in crooked suspenders, a flannel short sleeve shirt and jeans. I had no idea who he was...we were just talking about the event and at first I thought he was just another fan hanging out after the race.

After talking a bit more I find out that at his name was Cordis Johnson and at age 63, he beat his son in the Comp Final that weekend for his first ever NHRA Wally.

I think that in some way I was actually happier for him than Tim Wilkerson.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back