Chicago Stock Eliminator (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Anybody catch that yesterday in Chicago Ben Wenzel won Stock?
1967 Z/28 Camaro, still with the 302 4-Speed set up.
Same Car, Same Driver that won Indy in 1967 and was the first Camaro to EVER win an NHRA National Event.
52 years later, still getting it done with the clutch. Average reaction time over the last 5 rounds, .017

Alan

That is absolutely incredible as far as I'm concerned. There's always the debate of the toughest cars to drive/best drivers, and I know Pro Mods, Pro Stocks and Alky Funnys are tough to drive, but I believe that ANYBODY that wins Stock or Super Stock (or any bracketed class, for that matter) in a stick car is BAD ASS.

That's a hullva string of lights too.

Sean D

Same Car, Same Driver that won Indy in 1967 and was the first Camaro to EVER win an NHRA National Event.
52 years later, still getting it done with the clutch. Average reaction time over the last 5 rounds, .017

Alan
I was there in '67. Ken Gunning was runner-up in his '57. :)

yes, watched it live on you tube. mattson had his worst light of the day in the final, otherwise it would have been much closer.
ron and ben were the class of the field yesterday (92 stockers over race weekend).....ben is one of the best.

Alan, thanks for posting this.

As NHRA makes things harder on us Stocker racers (reduced quotas at Nat'l events, etc, etc), it's good to see some positive press.

Alan
I watch race great to see clutch car win , from an old man and his 355 cube and Doug Nash 5 speed, oh and Long Shifter.

'old man' ben with his small block has these lights on way to win.....starting with 1st rnd. .042 - .017 - .010 - .022 - .020 - bye - .015 for the win

and last weekend chris knudsen in his '69 camaro C/S had these numbers to win in topeka on sunday .035 - -.015 - .005 - .009 - .008 - .014 for the win.

ummm. those are sum amazing numbers for eye/brain/foot response. clutch car r.t.'s can be all over the place during a day of racing. these two guys have it figured out.

and again yesterday chris knudsen puts on an another amazing performance, stopping brett speer from a rare double in S and SS.
here's a couple pics of stock final yesterday.

Attachments

• StockFinal.JPG
    StockFinal.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • StockFinal1.JPG
    StockFinal1.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
Cool photos! When I go to the Div 7 race at Wild Horse, like to sit on the starting line, see if I can see who cuts the best light. Hard to tell most times. Stk & S/S are fun to watch cuz of the wheelies. Cars are so fast... guy with a '66 Ford Fairlane 2 door, 390 engine, runs 11's. When that car was showroom stock in 1966, ran 15's w/ street tires & was classified as B/S by NHRA.

this is official/unofficial C/S thread 😁
C/S indy class final......ken vaugh (Q128th) over kyle ratcliff (NQ 131st) wins his 12th INDY CLASS TROPHY......amazing.
ken runs 10.420 for the class title.
ben wenzel with his camaro is Q126th with a 10.514
for perspective, last week a C/S Q 5th at the beech with a 10.43
and MN boy randy mans with class trophy in A/S :cool:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back