the cars have arrived, unfinished business (1 Viewer)

WJ vs Ace in the finals

If WJ wins he will of proven his statement of a blind man can drive a fuel car. PS takes some skills.

WJ vs Ace in the finals

If WJ wins he will of proven his statement of a blind man can drive a fuel car. PS takes some skills.
thats a bit of a reach !! wj's point will be taken if he can get in a nitro car and do 330mph runs right of the bat

I couldn't tell if it was an act or not but it was funny to see the tech guys inspecting WJ's car, there is a reason they call him the professor.

As to the whole driving Camrys I'm guessing the biggest reason they are driving street cars is the fact they dont have to license or take physicals, anything else faster would require them to jump through all the hoops

WJ vs Ace in the finals

WJ was smiling like a Cheshire Cat yesterday during driver introductions. Then he went out and ran low e.t.

I couldn't tell if it was an act or not but it was funny to see the tech guys inspecting WJ's car, there is a reason they call him the professor.
If they had the hood up - he was in the trunk moving weight. Both of which should have been welded shut at the factory.

I think we know what rental car he has been driving since he got wind of this.

Kick that punk kids ass Ace!

- Harley Davidson's are at the next stop on the tour unofficially I hear. Should be interesting

It's a ghost town of talk about the 50th annual Gatornationals.

Last edited:
View attachment 5136
Taken during the second session of fuel qualifying.

Musta been boring! is dude in the blue tee-shirt on his phone or just rubbing his face saying to himself "I should have shaved my face" Dude 2 spots to the right, He's prob. looking at the horse bets he made on the way over to the track and is trying to figure how to tell his wife that he pissed the mortgage payment for next month. Where's the guy walking up and down the isle steps selling cold beer and peanuts? Need him here!

You actually think W.J. is just towing his ready to use p/s Toyota back to the pits and going to the lounge? I'll bet he ripped the secured wiring loose and put the pcm in the back seat or trunk.
I'll bet the glove box handle and radio knobs are back there too!

Musta been boring! is dude in the blue tee-shirt on his phone or just rubbing his face saying to himself "I should have shaved my face" Dude 2 spots to the right, He's prob. looking at the horse bets he made on the way over to the track and is trying to figure how to tell his wife that he pissed the mortgage payment for next month. Where's the guy walking up and down the isle steps selling cold beer and peanuts? Need him here!

The Pro Mod qualifying was anything but boring. The night session, after the fuel cars, was great.

Monkeying with the timing, adjusting the Throttle Position Sensor, swapping in better or different heat range plugs, lowering front tire pressures while raising the rears....and didn't they find a lump of Sterno in the intake of Michael Waltrip's NASCAR?
Oh there's lots of crafty things you can do when nobody's looking....

As to the whole driving Camrys I'm guessing the biggest reason they are driving street cars is the fact they dont have to license or take physicals, anything else faster would require them to jump through all the hoops
That was my thought too.

The reason for Toyotas (ok pick any slow car, Toyota is sponsoring this) is probably because Drag Racing is such an addictive drug to these guys that if they were in 7 second Factory Stockers they would become involved again totally....some retired drivers say they can't even attend as a spectator without feeling that urge to empty their savings on a ride

There was a lot of moaning in that WJs car was consistently outrunning everyone else's which didn't make a lot of sense. Before the final Ace challenged WJ to swap cars and WJ said he would after the final. WJ then won the final, they swapped cars and Ace won by .10 time but by much greater than that as he had a way better reaction time. Alan was commenting that if WJ won both races Ace would never hear then end of it from the fuel guys so he was motivated to win the rematch!

You, me anyone can get in a GT mustang, Challenger or a SS camaro without any hoops.
I agree. Perhaps the blame should be placed on Ford, Chrysler or General Motors for not stepping up. I didn’t bother me what car they were driving as it was more about the drivers. Toyota seems like a pretty neutral car. I don’t believe Garlits would have been thrilled to drive a Ford or Chevy considering his connection to Mopar.

Last edited:
Just reading through this thread and I think I a different experience to some people.
A comment about the emptiness of the stands earlier - I feel the need to correct this. The first session was actually the biggest one spectator wise, the second session a few people had headed home. The pit side was pretty much full during first session and the opposite side was maybe a third to a half full! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156211684886365&l=2176fcfe1b
I actually had the thought that it was one of the biggest Friday crowds I had seen anywhere. I guess people see what they want to see. And the Saturday sell out was incredible.
As for the Unfinished Business race, I was probably one of the skeptics before hand, although it was a good opportunity to get some photos of legends for my archives.
But I was surprised that the actual racing was fun, and the crowd seemed to get into it. I don't think drag racing shows need to be constant noise and fire, it's okay to have light and shadow in the way you run the program.
Is it going to translate to NHRA.tv? Probably not. But at the track it was a fun experience.

At the local dirt track we end up cheering more during the 4 banger races then any other and they are sloooow. But racing’s racing and some one is going to win. That what makes it fun to watch.

WJ was up at Valdosa with a rental for 2 nites last week testing. How do I know this? I don't for sure. But I DO know I would be-and he's got far more desire to win than I do!~:)~

If you watched FS1 broadcast, Did you see the tech guys with the tape measure, measuring ride height then walking to the trunk to look in? Funny how they didn't check the rims to see if he removed the wheel weights? less weight means better E.t. right?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back