The Bobby Bowden Question? (1 Viewer)

Bullard Anderson

Nitro Member
He has past the "earned the right to stay" threshold. The guy is 79. The program is failing.

He is a multimillionaire. He should be smart enough to realize the program is
going down hill while everyone else is getting younger, more creative,
and better around him in the South. To a 18 year old kid he's just an
old guy with a below average team that's going downhill.

Like many of us, there are ppl who travel and put an investment into the
team. How do you continue to tell a person donating $3K a year and
buying seats at the 45yd line at Doak-Campbell that it's ok for the old
guy to stick around, make more money for the grandkids while they
watch the program go downhill.

This isn't something new. Bowden hasn't underachieved in 1 year. The
team has done it for multiple.

Of course, as a Wahoo I hope he stays til 90.
I'll have my own coaching issues to deal with in Virginia after the season.

He has past the "earned the right to stay" threshold. The guy is 79. The program is failing.

He is a multimillionaire. He should be smart enough to realize the program is
going down hill while everyone else is getting younger, more creative,
and better around him in the South. To a 18 year old kid he's just an
old guy with a below average team that's going downhill.

Like many of us, there are ppl who travel and put an investment into the
team. How do you continue to tell a person donating $3K a year and
buying seats at the 45yd line at Doak-Campbell that it's ok for the old
guy to stick around, make more money for the grandkids while they
watch the program go downhill.

This isn't something new. Bowden hasn't underachieved in 1 year. The
team has done it for multiple.

Of course, as a Wahoo I hope he stays til 90.
I'll have my own coaching issues to deal with in Virginia after the season.

I agree Steve. I dont have a problem with a coach coaching until he's 70/80 hell 100 if he's still good and getting the job done. But Florida State hasnt been Florida State since the late 90's atleast.

He's milked the school for enough cash, he's gotta know he doesnt have it anymore, and you'd think he wouldnt want to watch the program he's built be destroyed by overstaying. B/C your right, there isint one top recruit right now that would say "I'm going to FS b/c of Coach Bowden."

I agree Steve. I dont have a problem with a coach coaching until he's 70/80 hell 100 if he's still good and getting the job done. But Florida State hasnt been Florida State since the late 90's atleast.

He's milked the school for enough cash, he's gotta know he doesnt have it anymore, and you'd think he wouldnt want to watch the program he's built be destroyed by overstaying. B/C your right, there isint one top recruit right now that would say "I'm going to FS b/c of Coach Bowden."
Milked the school for cash?

You are kidding, right? If not......

And yes, Bowden still gets recruits. A lot of schools would take his talent, but maybe not his Rhodes Scholars. Laugh all you want, but he actually coached one.

He leaves Free Shoes University when he decides.

Florida State, yes Florida State, came into the 2009 season at .500 in the ACC the last 3 seasons. At 0-2 they are now below .500.

Its really sad to see a legend in any sport, be it football, racing, or anything else, that doesnt know when to leave. I suppose it is hard to not only leave the spotlite, but also give up the cash. Age may not be the final factor (see Penn State), but when the team is not getting it done on the field, it is time to move on. Were Bowden not the legend he is, he would have been fired by now. It is even worse to see a guy possibly forced out and leave on less than friendly terms, especially in light of all he has meant to that university.

Funny people were saying the same thing about JoPa and Penn State a few years back but he has raised them to back up in the national scene again.

Not a fan of any of the big 3 Florida schools (grow some stone and come play the big house, the horseshoe, happy valley, camp randall in late november)
So I love seeing any of them struggle.

but I digress

I don't see Bowden or JoPa leaving until the other one does, sadly I see them coaching till they die. They are very close to each other in the all time wins mark. Right now I think that is a driving force behind each of them staying

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back