The best idea in a very long time by jim head (1 Viewer)

I think everyone knows that banning nitro would be the end of "professional" drag racing as we know it. You don't see anyone standing around a non-nitro car when it warms up.

I like the alcohol cars but the masses go to a drag race to see, hear, feel and smell the nitro cars.

What's the solution? I don't know.

Last edited:
I said it before and I'll say it again, NOBODY out there including Mr. Head had a problem with 1/4 mile racing till Scott Kalitta's crash! Then they couldn't wait to get to a microphone telling the world how if only NHRA had listened to them blah...blah...blah!

That being said I have no problem with 1000' racing, would I love to go back to 1/4 mile? Absolutely, but just about any suggestion NHRA does come up with will cost these guys Major $$$! Without Nitro Professional Drag racing won't survive IMO!:rolleyes:

Ok he is for not de-tuning the cars. And he is for 1000' racing - but is he for 1000' racing because it is safer

1. in that they will blow up less due to the 320 less feet of race, or
2. in that some tracks are not equipped to handle the extra shutdown needed to stop the cars due to that 320 feet

In other words, if they addressed the safety issue with the tracks then he would be all for quarter mile racing unrestricted.

Whatever Jim says I trust he knows what he's talking about, and I would say keep 1000' racing as is and don't go to 1320' racing restricted.

However, if all things were equal (and apparently they aren't), tough to sell 1000' racing as better then 1320' racing.

I said it before and I'll say it again, NOBODY out there including Mr. Head had a problem with 1/4 mile racing till Scott Kalitta's crash! Then they couldn't wait to get to a microphone telling the world how if only NHRA had listened to them blah...blah...blah!

That being said I have no problem with 1000' racing, would I love to go back to 1/4 mile? Absolutely, but just about any suggestion NHRA does come up with will cost these guys Major $$$! Without Nitro Professional Drag racing won't survive IMO!:rolleyes:

JUst did some investigating, at the last 1/4 mile race at Pomona Jim Head ran 325 MPH! Didn't he say he shut off at 1000' cause Pomona was so short???

head and ace together at a pit hall meeting. the only thing better would be to have t-ped between them. i'd pay to go to that. but really they both make a good point. these things are fire breathing monsters. you hang an intake open no matter what size pump and you have a problem. we've had some very close racing this year. i grew up watching the first aa/fc's like alot of you, and we seen alot of boomers. lets hear what they have to say, maybe without big brother dictating.

Just so you understand when you attend the meetings, if you do not agree with everything Jim says, you are "ignorant at best". This has been his opinion most of his life.

Ace was deadly against going 1,000' racing until he tried it and now he likes it a lot. Could that same scenario take place with the proposed changes to slow the cars down and return to 1,320'? Maybe when he gets to try it he will come to like it more than the 1,000' racing.

The cars are much safer than they have ever been. Parts like the blocks, rods, heads, blowers, cams and valve train have all evolved into very strong parts. Reduce the load on them by reducing fuel volume will make them that much better. You can still have blow ups from parts failures and assembly problems (crew members mistakes), but the parts failures will happen much less frequently and the margin for errors will be greatly expanded.

Everyone that has ever ran any type of race car, especially nitro cars, knows that the costs go up for every tenth of a second faster you want to go. So don't let these guys fool you, if the cars are slowed down, in the long run it will cost the teams significantly less to operate their teams.

As you can see, I do not agree with Ace or Jim, and realize that I am "ignorant at best", just ask Jim.

JUst did some investigating, at the last 1/4 mile race at Pomona Jim Head ran 325 MPH! Didn't he say he shut off at 1000' cause Pomona was so short???

Shut off traveling Downhill without dumping the laundry? I can see picking up 15mph going downhill in 300 feet with momentum in your favor...

Dang I love converted PARKING LOTS...

d'kid

I don't think safety is the only reason to slow the cars down. If costs aren't controlled we'll be watching Team Schumacher racing Team Force. Hell we're almost there now! The top crew chiefs don't want things changed because they're running well with their current combos. They don't want to change, that's why some real leadership is required by the NHRA.

From an ignorant at best race fan.

yes, there has been some close racing, but i have also seen losers making
their move @ 1000' and would have been a winner @ 1320'.
close racing exists at both distances.

purist in me says - pick a distance and allow the smart people
to make these things as fast as possible - budget be damned
run what ya' brung - almost unlimited rules in pro nitro fc and tf

fan in me says - somehow the sport has to be financially viable for
new blood to even consider a short term commitment to nitro, much less
long term. maybe there's more money out there than i think?

late 80's / early 90's performance was great then and it would be great
tomorrow; casual fans would not know the difference, same as they do
not recognize difference in track length today.

what's the payoff for decreasing performance?
more participants? i'm all in favor.
same participants?, i'm against.
i do not see decreasing performance leading to increase in fans.

Go back and watch your Drag Racing 91' 92' and 93' videos. Why werent they screamin the high heavens then? Because almost every race had a big flopper fire it seemed.Espcially 93 the first four races had huge fires.

Don't change a thing. There's nothing difficult or cost-prohibitive about running an NHRA nitro team these days. Most cost-effective way to spend your drag racing dollars. Can't anyone see all of the Top Dragster and TAD teams (especially the injected nitro cats) leaving their classes in droves to plop their money down on a Top Fuel or Funny Car team? There are at least 30 teams in each class showing up to qualify at the NHRA Full Throttle National Events...there is not nearly the amount of aborted runs (due to tire shake, tire smoke, or broken parts) as there was 25 years ago...it's anyone's race on Sunday...qualifying is a race within itself...Head and Ace are right and everyone else is dead wrong.

Was my sarcasm evident?

just so you understand when you attend the meetings, if you do not agree with everything jim says, you are "ignorant at best". This has been his opinion most of his life. . .
. . . As you can see, i do not agree with ace or jim, and realize that i am "ignorant at best", just ask jim.

Thank you!!!!!

I liked Head's comment about having Ace as the head of security at the town hall meetings. Now that would be fun to see! Wish I could go to one of the meetings just to listen but I'm not going to Norwalk or E-Town.

It would be interesting to find out how all the full time Nitro teams feel about 1000 ft vs 1320. I say that because those guys are way more knowledgeable about what is best from a safety, cost and performance standpoint than I am. We have heard from Ace, Head, Pedregons but it would be interesting to see if there is a concensus on what is best for the long term future of the sport.

I beg to differ, Head has been for 1,000 feet for over 20 years ....

And for over 20 years. 1000' racing has been on the table. I remember it in the mid-late eighties. wrote a letter to NHRA against it. Then the cars were going 290+. Now..........like Ace, I agree. I saw Scott die, and the aftermath, and the pain.........

I was able to change my mind, and I've never been over 200.......close, but now I don't care, Pomona and E-Town are NOT safe at 1320.

Some posters NEED to try 200 at E-Town.........it was built for that, and no more.

I know there are guys here that know, both Randys, and Bruce, my respect to you is never in question.

I have limited experience, but what I have makes me admire anyone that straps into these rockets, does it pass after pass, year after year.

1000' is good for the Ace, and yeah, heading into the lights at 200, that extra 320' is a blessing, I remember, the best part of the run, was the charge in high gear, the second best, was the parachute coming out and slowing you down.

I know I am in the minority, but the lives of the men and women that risk their lives, out on the track, is not worth that .67 seconds that we can watch, JM .02.

Just so you understand when you attend the meetings, if you do not agree with everything Jim says, you are "ignorant at best". This has been his opinion most of his life.

Ace was deadly against going 1,000' racing until he tried it and now he likes it a lot. Could that same scenario take place with the proposed changes to slow the cars down and return to 1,320'? Maybe when he gets to try it he will come to like it more than the 1,000' racing.

The cars are much safer than they have ever been. Parts like the blocks, rods, heads, blowers, cams and valve train have all evolved into very strong parts. Reduce the load on them by reducing fuel volume will make them that much better. You can still have blow ups from parts failures and assembly problems (crew members mistakes), but the parts failures will happen much less frequently and the margin for errors will be greatly expanded.

Everyone that has ever ran any type of race car, especially nitro cars, knows that the costs go up for every tenth of a second faster you want to go. So don't let these guys fool you, if the cars are slowed down, in the long run it will cost the teams significantly less to operate their teams.

As you can see, I do not agree with Ace or Jim, and realize that I am "ignorant at best", just ask Jim.

And after meeting and 'helping' you Virgil, I have a ton of respect for you opinion.

I learned alot in one day.......

you are a straight shooter, firm but accurate.

I wish it had not rained............I could have learned so much more.

thanks for the lesson.

REX

Don't change a thing. There's nothing difficult or cost-prohibitive about running an NHRA nitro team these days. Most cost-effective way to spend your drag racing dollars. Can't anyone see all of the Top Dragster and TAD teams (especially the injected nitro cats) leaving their classes in droves to plop their money down on a Top Fuel or Funny Car team? There are at least 30 teams in each class showing up to qualify at the NHRA Full Throttle National Events...there is not nearly the amount of aborted runs (due to tire shake, tire smoke, or broken parts) as there was 25 years ago...it's anyone's race on Sunday...qualifying is a race within itself...Head and Ace are right and everyone else is dead wrong.

Was my sarcasm evident?

30 cars at NHRA races? What races have you been too? Topeka had 14 TAD's, everyone said A/FD saved TAD, about 6 racers switched to FC!

Thank you Mr. Hartman!

you said it much better than I could have, and with much more authority

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back