The 1995 Formula (1 Viewer)

I've been going back to some Diamond P televised races from the 1980's...it appears TF/FC started to get extreme partly as a result of the lock up clutch (late-1986) & later the high gear only/multi-stage clutches (1988). Especially the development of the mult-stage clutches with high-gear-only loaded the motor much harder at the launch and in-turn lead to more fuel consumption(=horsepower) almost over-night. Look at the quickest elapse time for Top Fuel: beginning of '86 it was 5.39 (actually Gary Beck's 5.391 from 1983), by the end of '88 it was 4.93, almost a HALF-A-SECOND (.46) in 2-1/2 seasons! Granted, there were other innovations at that time, but none more significant than the multi-stage clutch. Maybe NHRA should look at the clutches to slow the cars down.

BTW, in those years you can't find many races when the stands were not packed to the gills with fans.

Last edited:
Slowly getting used to it. Everyone is telling me to wait until August.

It's not the humidity in Texas. It's the heat, yeah August is bad, but being someone who has lived most his life equally in Dallas and NY, Texas can't hold a candle to Long Island humidity just as Long Island can't hold a candle to Texas heat.

Paul, your right we will never know the "What if". But I cant think of any other track that Scott would have gotten killed in that fashion. BTW....You getting used to the Texass Humidity?

Joe, you can't just keep blaming it on the track. It could have happened at ANY track on the tour. Do you know for sure that the fuel was shut off or not? Or if he was conscious or not to turn the fuel pumps off or pull the chutes? Or if he was did he even know how far he was down track to do any of those things? Yes they have a short shutdown area in E-Town. But if a driver is not awake and aware of his situation, I contest that they could get killed at ANY track in the world.

I believe Scott was killed from hitting the ESPN boom arm as his car flipped into it. Del Worsham walked away with a fractured tailbone from a similar incident at the 2006 Auto Club Finals. For the record Scott was traveling at 300 MPH @ the 1/4 mile verses 285 for Del.

Last edited:
I believe Scott was killed from hitting the ESPN boom arm as his car flipped into it. Del Worsham walked away with a fractured tailbone from a similar incident at the 2006 Auto Club Finals. For the record Scott was traveling at 300 MPH @ the 1/4 mile verses 285 for Del.

My recollection is that something that was track related cause him to "flip" and hit the boom. Not saying it was the track's fault but the shut down area was not sufficiently engineered for safety in that type of a situation and speed. If it was they wouldn't have changed it.

Do we really need to drag all this out again?? 5 min of research will tell you everything you need to know about Scotts Crash.

As far as the 1995 Formula to get things on track, I enjoy the racing the way it is now, and enjoy seeing new barriers broken. I also enjoy racing from the era of 20 years ago, there were some great moments and great races. Amato and Shirley made the first ever side by side 4 sec. pass and it was a thing of beauty.

Bottom line for me, I like drag racing, and will continue to like it no matter what they decide to do.

Do we really need to drag all this out again?? 5 min of research will tell you everything you need to know about Scotts Crash.

As far as the 1995 Formula to get things on track, I enjoy the racing the way it is now, and enjoy seeing new barriers broken. I also enjoy racing from the era of 20 years ago, there were some great moments and great races. Amato and Shirley made the first ever side by side 4 sec. pass and it was a thing of beauty.

Bottom line for me, I like drag racing, and will continue to like it no matter what they decide to do.

Very well put Paul.... and to add, Pandora's Box and The Genie's Out of the Bottle... and you can go backwards... Personally, I'm waiting for the first 3.5 in pipe-racks and 3.7 in floppers.

d'kid

Joe, you can't just keep blaming it on the track. It could have happened at ANY track on the tour. Do you know for sure that the fuel was shut off or not? Or if he was conscious or not to turn the fuel pumps off or pull the chutes? Or if he was did he even know how far he was down track to do any of those things? Yes they have a short shutdown area in E-Town. But if a driver is not awake and aware of his situation, I contest that they could get killed at ANY track in the world.

True, but the way Scott's car reacted when hitting the Sand trap should have NEVER happened! NHRA and E-town both are lucky Connie Kallita is not the suing type or they would both be gone right now! It's a shame that it takes a driver getting killed for the right thing to be done. The 1000' deal was a "Cover your Ass" decision is all! The IHRA Nitro Jams the Fuel cars still race the 1/4 mile, they had no problem getting insurance did they?

Last edited:
I agree Joe. It was a "perfect storm" of things that could go wrong, all conglomerating together for a very unfortunate incident. And yes, the 1000 ft racing is a CYOA reaction.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back