The 1995 Formula (1 Viewer)

DAN

Nitro Member
A first-time drag racing friend of mine asked me recently at what stage did NHRA Top Fuel / Funny Car's ET's and Speeds become unsafe for a lot of the current tracks that led to the now-1000ft racing.

Was it 2005-06 when 4.40s and 330mph+ started to creep onto the scoreboards? Was it earlier or later? Were 4.40s an issue, or was it more due to the increase in engine carnage?

He then asked if NHRA were going to turn back the clock on Nitro engine combinations, what year should they revert to in order to go back to 1320ft.

My answer was 'probably 1995'. That year, a 4.60 anything was the top of the game, with 4.70s - 4.90s in Top Fuel the norm, and 5.0s - 5.10s in FC.
The racing was great, fields were up, and the current carbon fiber injector hat hadn't appeared yet.

The 1995 formula - would it increase participation in the nitro ranks by backing down to the rules of that year? And it goes without saying, 1320ft again would be great.

There's some clued-up regulars on here who could probably chime in on this one - look forward to your insights.

Kenny Bernstein broke the 310 Barrier at the 1994 World finals running 311 and 314 back to back!!!

Cory Mac broke the 320 barrier in Dallas in 1997! It was only 2 years later that Tony Shoe ran the first 330 in Phoenix!

I had similar thoughts about turning the clock back on nitro engines. I first really started getting into it around 1995 and therefore that time frame was my favorite. I don't know if its true or I'm just remembering it differently, but the engines looked cooler, the cars looked cooler, they even sounded better!

But that magic 300 was part of it. We went to Columbus in 96, my first race for a qualifying session, and I think only Joe Amato cracked the 300 that day. I thought it was the coolest seeing a car run the quarter over 300. It was something special - and a GREAT run to do it.

But a little was watching records fall... back then KB had the record speed of 314.76, an ungodley number that seemed to last for an eternity. I think TNN ran a commercial with a clip of Dave M. repeating "three hundred fourteen!" in a voice of disbelief. Then I think Amato beat that... and it would creep up once or twice a year. Cruz's 308+ run stuck in my head back then too.

The point being, I can see turning the clock back to then in order to get to the quarter.. and bigger fields. I would be all for it. Nitro sounds the same if your running 4.80's at 300 compared to ... well I still dont have a handle on good 1000' times.

But there still has to be a class, maybe an exhibition class that is unlimited. Take all the restrictions off, see how fast they can go. (not like todays cars are unlimited but...)

Personally, I'm happy with the sport as it is. I didn't like the 1000ft deal at first, but after soaking in my first 1000ft race at Houston I slowly started to like it. It is what it is. I'm lucky enough, as are you Dan to have grown up in that 90s era (90 and 93 being two of my favorite seasons) So I feel with time you learn to move with it and remember and look back with a smile on the years past, that's what makes it so special. I love watching a car now go out and put a .70 something on the board. Del's run at Norwalk last weekend actually made me go "Wow" Because I didn't think the run was there to be made. It's like with everything, Basketball is a prime example for me, you go back and watch some late 80s early 90s playoff games and the intensity that was there was just incredible. The fans were different, money hadn't gotten its big handle over it, regular joes could go to a game and go crazy and it just isn't the same today, however it is still good, just not on the same level as it was for me growing up. The 1000ft deal is not everyones cup of tea, but it is still racing and good racing at that. Even the ADRL which is 1/8 mile racing is becoming a huge favorite of mine, maybe even my favorite form of racing at the moment, because the racing is damn impressive! Drag Racing is still good, the only downside to the sport is politics, especially with us in Australia. I say enjoy what we have now because you never know when it may end.

Personally, I'm happy with the sport as it is. I didn't like the 1000ft deal at first, but after soaking in my first 1000ft race at Houston I slowly started to like it. It is what it is. I'm lucky enough, as are you Dan to have grown up in that 90s era (90 and 93 being two of my favorite seasons) So I feel with time you learn to move with it and remember and look back with a smile on the years past, that's what makes it so special. I love watching a car now go out and put a .70 something on the board. Del's run at Norwalk last weekend actually made me go "Wow" Because I didn't think the run was there to be made. It's like with everything, Basketball is a prime example for me, you go back and watch some late 80s early 90s playoff games and the intensity that was there was just incredible. The fans were different, money hadn't gotten its big handle over it, regular joes could go to a game and go crazy and it just isn't the same today, however it is still good, just not on the same level as it was for me growing up. The 1000ft deal is not everyones cup of tea, but it is still racing and good racing at that. Even the ADRL which is 1/8 mile racing is becoming a huge favorite of mine, maybe even my favorite form of racing at the moment, because the racing is damn impressive! Drag Racing is still good, the only downside to the sport is politics, especially with us in Australia. I say enjoy what we have now because you never know when it may end.
I agree with everything you said. I am happy with the way it is right now, but if they ever did make us back them down, I would be happy with anything under 5-seconds and over 300 mph for F/C as long as they stay with a big blower and 2- mags.:)

nice post mike - can't i disagree with much you say either.
couple of thoughts.........
- i'd like to see 1/4 mile again someday and it would have to be at slower
speeds; upper 4's around 300mph (300mph big selling point)
- when the present package get's too fast, then what, shorter yet?
- what is too fast?....what is too short?
- why do alcohol classes need to slow if nitro classes slow? take a look at
nascar nationwide vs. sprint.....basically same cars, very similar performance,
difference is sunday sprint is the tv, big name, big sponsors.........saturday is
the sometimes tv, not so big names, some sponsors.
who cares if the alcohol cars run almost as fast as nitro - the ticket buyer
will come for the nitro show based on the names, the sponsors, the noise
and the hype; 98% of fans in pits between rounds couldn't care less about
the alcohol/injected nitro classes running down the strip - they have autographs to seek,
t-shirts to buy, food to consume, games to play, beer to drink, bathrooms to visit,
watch the guy polish the bottom of a beer can :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said. I am happy with the way it is right now, but if they ever did make us back them down, I would be happy with anything under 5-seconds and over 300 mph for F/C as long as they stay with a big blower and 2- mags.:)

Please expand on this Eugene....

There has been an effort to make inline speed contests safe for over 60 years. It doesn't matter a durn thing about the track, car, tires, fuel, driver, speed, E.T. what year it was, anything... when a speed bug with a soup job attemps to go as quick and fast as they can, dodo always happens!!!

Last edited:
When Hight ran 4.63 his 1000' was 3.95

That's correct. And a 3.752, the fastest known 1000 ft time., (even faster than when 1320 was around) should be about a 4.402. But incremental times differ so much according to who tunes it. I always find it amazing when 2 cars run almost the same thing yet the increments on the way to the finish tell a different story.

A first-time drag racing friend of mine asked me recently at what stage did NHRA Top Fuel / Funny Car's ET's and Speeds become unsafe for a lot of the current tracks that led to the now-1000ft racing.

The catalyst, of course, was the death of Scott Kalitta on June 21, 2008. Seems as if ideas are rarely proactive; they're almost always reactive.

The catalyst, of course, was the death of Scott Kalitta on June 21, 2008. Seems as if ideas are rarely proactive; they're almost always reactive.

Scott Kalitta's Death had NOTHING to do with 1/4 mile racing, it had to do with the most dangerous shutdown on the Tour! And the 1000' was NHRA ' version of damage control!

Scott Kalitta's Death had NOTHING to do with 1/4 mile racing, it had to do with the most dangerous shutdown on the Tour! And the 1000' was NHRA ' version of damage control!

That first statement HAS to be about one of the dumbest statements I have read in a looooong time. Brain by budweiser.......

Scott Kalitta's Death had NOTHING to do with 1/4 mile racing,

Joe, sadly we will never know if Scott would still be here if they were racing to 1,000ft when his accident occurred. I will say this, Scott would have been going slower at the finish line than what he was going at 1/4 mile and he would have an extra 320ft of stopping distance. Just like any tragic incident, the sport has learned what led to the incident and has made changes to make the sport safer.

Joe, sadly we will never know if Scott would still be here if they were racing to 1,000ft when his accident occurred. I will say this, Scott would have been going slower at the finish line than what he was going at 1/4 mile and he would have an extra 320ft of stopping distance. Just like any tragic incident, the sport has learned what led to the incident and has made changes to make the sport safer.

Paul, your right we will never know the "What if". But I cant think of any other track that Scott would have gotten killed in that fashion. BTW....You getting used to the Texass Humidity?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back